Northern vs. Southern China

I’m sure the people are great, but I’m curious what you liked about the weather. The freezing cold? The snow?

I don’t like December and January, but I like that the Summer isn’t too hot. For me, even Beijing and Hebei have unbearable heat in the Summer. When I got a job offer in Taiwan I kind of just accepted that I would hate the Summer (which is my only major complaint about living here). I’m American and have spent most of my life South of the Mason-Dixon Line and I still can’t stand the Summers.

October is my favorite time of year in Shenyang, the time where you have to wear long sleeves, but you don’t need to wear a heavy jacket. I would love just walking around the city during that time and going down a street I’ve never been to and finding a nice little family-owned restaurant. I miss the city a lot and I hope that I can visit it again soon.

Ah. You must live in the Taipei area. Southern Taiwan isn’t as hot or humid in the summers, especially with the ocean breeze. It’s more like Miami whereas Taipei is more like Atlanta.

But yeah, there is nowhere in Taiwan with good weather in the summer. But hey, at least you don’t have to shovel snow.

2 Likes

Higher elevations are fine.

The problem is that this is not where the vast majority of our communities are located.

Guy

1 Like

Can you recommend a town in higher elevations to live during summers if I want to escape the heat? My work is online so I can live anywhere.

As I wrote, that’s the catch.

If you could score a place up near Alishan (not the tourist zone, but in the area) you’ll quite enjoy the weather I think. Just watch out for typhoons!

Guy

Ah. By “higher elevations” you meant on top of an actual mountain. Well that’s not very helpful haha.

It does however complicate your claim that no such places exist. They do exist, but most of us on forumosa don’t live there.

Guy

1 Like

I meant towns, not the wilderness. If there is even a tiny town in the mountains that would work too, but I’m not looking to go camping.

How about somewhere in Nantou county?

Lugu Township?

Yeah I’ve been to Puli township which is not far from Lugu, but unfortunately I went last December so I didn’t get to experience the summer. Might be worth making another trip in the summer to see if actually has nice weather.

Well, this doesn’t look promising.

I was just trying to find the highest elevation towns in Taiwan and that’s what came up. Might be somewhere else but figured Nantou county was a good place to start.

1 Like

For a moment I was all what? Zhang Yimou didn’t direct that film! And I was right… sort of. :yin_yang:

At first I thought you were being sarcastic about Shenyang. After reading your explanation, it seems to me that the way you measure the greatness of a city is very personal, rather than the conventional criteria like architecture, infrastructure, standard of living and so on.

1 Like

I’m too lazy to meme it right now, but… wrong.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve spent a lot of time in Taipei, New Taipei, and Keelung. I always thought that it would be the opposite, that Southern Taiwan would be worse. I was hoping to get Nantou because of the elevation. I also really wanted to go to Kinmen, but my company didn’t have any locations there.

Hualien had nice weather when I went there in September, I don’t know if that was normal or not though.

1 Like

That’s true. Beijing, Shanghai, or Guangzhou might be the more conventionally great cities I’ve been to.

Nice weather in September is pretty good for Taiwan!

1 Like

Go to Alishan, there’s at least one decent sized town up there

1 Like