Nose and throat culture

Just moved to Taipei, is there somewhere I can pay cash and just get a nose and throat culture? I have a history of atypical strep (not that the doctors here will listen) and other bacterial infections, as well as some gut and autoimmune issues so I don’t want to just take random antibiotics.

I tried the IPCC at Adventist, could not get the doctor to do a culture, you would think paying 10x they would just do what you want. Tried an ENT at a Taipei City hospital as well. I don’t have NHI and told them I was self-pay, but I guess they don’t want to overload their labs? Also told them I was fully vaxxed in case it was some sort of Covid thing but that didn’t seem to be it.

Also what is up with them not wanting to look in your ear? After pushing one took a flashlight and looked into my ear from three feet away and the other doctor just flat out refused.

Welcome to Taiwan lol

Are you eventually getting NHI?

Is there a current medical reason for needing a culture, or is it just curiosity? In any case, I previously saw an ENT doctor called Wen Hung Wang at Cathay General Hospital - I’ve seen others too, but he seemed pretty competent and careful and spoke good English. I’d recommend him.

I wouldn’t bother with the IPCC or similar setups, unless you like paying 10x more as you say. I think lab cultures should be several hundred ish without NHI, so probably in the ballpark region of NT$1,000-1,500 including the consultation and registration fees etc.

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation.

I often get atypical strep, and I’ve also had other bacterial infections that look like a viral infection. Maybe about 80% of the time I go in to get swabbed, it’s bacterial. I’ve also had concurrent multiple bacterial infections that need different antibiotics, and sometimes they have me do that nasty test where they make you cough to find the second or third infection I have. I have also had to take multiple courses of antibiotics for the same infection confirmed by culture.

I don’t have a problem getting my GP or ENT in the US to swab me because they know me. Except one time they both went on vacation at the same time, but even then I managed to convince the urgent care doc who looked very surprised when the rapid was positive.

1 Like

whoops. old thread.