Not about foreigners using crappy pinyin to describe location

I ask someone- it’s the quickest way from A to B. But if no one’s available, I look it up in my dictionary (the big red one- Far East 3000 Chinese Character Dictionary) which I’ve outfitted with tabs with the bopo characters which correspond to the pinyin (because the dictionary is organized by pinyin). Works pretty well for me. I do have The Little Prince in Chinese and English (and italian and spanish) but I find that sometimes I can’t divine the meaning of the character from the English translation…

Somebody said:[quote]None of us know how to do this bopomofo crap[/quote]
bopomofo is fuckin great. And it’s the only method I use for typing Mandarin.

Thanks for that info, NonTocareLeTete. I asked because I might like to be able to bust out my bopo one of these days. :slight_smile:

Thanks for that info, NonTocareLeTete. I asked because I might like to be able to bust out my bopo one of these days. :slight_smile:[/quote]
I highly recommend that you do, my friend. Today I sang the bopo alphabet song for my students (which I learned from a children’s cd) and I got a standing ovation. Nothin like a lil bopo to add some comic relief to a class :discodance:

Thanks for that info, NonTocareLeTete. I asked because I might like to be able to bust out my bopo one of these days. :slight_smile:[/quote]
I highly recommend that you do, my friend. Today I sang the bopo alphabet song for my students (which I learned from a children’s cd) and I got a standing ovation. Nothin like a lil bopo to add some comic relief to a class :discodance:[/quote]

Then that’s another project for me. I want a standing ovation, too. :laughing:

I guess this is it, right?

Wouldn’t want to argue about that since i don’t know how that could or would have come about, but assuming that was so, would we not have other place names like that too? Or perhaps there are such places, but i haven’t heard about them yet… :slight_smile:

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]If you’re reading bopomofo, and you encounter a word you don’t know, how do you find out the meaning?

Are there bopomofo-to-English dictionaries?[/quote]
Like this?
hktv.cc/b/296/hanyu-pinyin-chine … hao-input/

[quote=“yuli”][quote=“Charlie Jack”]If you’re reading bopomofo, and you encounter a word you don’t know, how do you find out the meaning?

Are there bopomofo-to-English dictionaries?[/quote]
Like this?
hktv.cc/b/296/hanyu-pinyin-chine … hao-input/[/quote]

Thanks!

To the moderators:

Considering that these bits from another thread are not frivolous or useless at all, do you think you could move this thread to some other category (out of TEMP)?

Thanks!

[quote=“yuli”]To the moderators:

Considering that these bits from another thread are not frivolous or useless at all, do you think you could move this thread to some other category (out of TEMP)?

Thanks![/quote]
I’ll throw it into learning Chinese, then for the moderators to do with as they see fit. (They might throw it right back into temp, though… ) :laughing: