Not another newspaper thread!

Not on my copy I got at the bash at the Regent…

Speaking of China Post’s 50th anniversary edition, it was interesting to read the piece written by Douglas “Paar” (Paal)of the AIT. I’m sure he appreciated that they couldn’t get his name right.

It was so funny I almost forgot to raugh!

(sorry, couldn’t resist that one!)

I’d like to join others in saying congrads to the China Post on their 50th anniversary. I didn’t realize Taiwan has had an English-language newspaper for so long. And I think the CP’s mission is important too: ``An impartial news source, free from outside influence.’’

I like reading about Taiwan’s history, so it’s a blessing that Taiwan has an English newspaper that has chronicled the last 50 years in this country. Think of all the changes that have happened in Taiwan since its founding in 1952! Does anyone have access to old CP news archives? I’m interested in reading about the White Terror and the brutality and murder of the KMT during the martial law era. Surely someone must have kept news clips about these important news stories. Maybe the CP could post some of their articles about these events online, so us amateur historians could have access to this information.

I think if they dug up some old editions of these historic events and reprinted them, they would make great collector’s items.

Keep up the good work!

CPReader, you devil, you! :smiling_imp: I too would be very interested to see some of the coverage of those events as reported by the “impartial” China Post, “free from outside influence.”

Your post made my day. :laughing:

How could anyone support the China Post given the fact that it has been the mouthpiece for the KMT since the early 50’s? I suppose it’s alright if you can filter out the propanada out.

You think I’m kidding, but I’m not! I would sincerely like to read about Taiwan’s history. As Taiwan’s oldest English-language newspaper, I’m sure they must have covered the brutality of the KMT regime throughout all those years. Come on, someone prove me wrong!

CPreader, you HAVE to be kidding! You really HAVE to be, surely? :shock:

You honestly think a newspaper funded and run principally by the KMT (and if you honestly believe the garbage in today’s paper about “impartiality” and “free from influence” then you need your head examined) in order to spread Cash my check’s propaganda is going to have extensive coverage of the atrocities committed by Jimmy Soong and his goonsquads?

Which planet do you hail from?

If you want to read about Taiwan’s history, a good place to start would probably be Cranky Laowai’s http://www.romanization.com

I just wanted to marvel at the fact that a newspaper which projects itself as a storied institution in Taiwan probably didn’t report on every major f**king important development in this country over the last half century (ie it ignored its duty as a newspaper). As a newspaper, the role of which is to uncover the truth, the China Post is morally complicit in the KMT’s atrocities because it turned a blind eye to them for the sake of profit.

Yes, the China News was much better and more impartial, and it started up in 1949. :o They celebrated their 50th year in 1999.

And let’s not forget that beacon of justice and objectivity, if not proper attribution, the Taipei Times!

By China News do you mean Taiwan News? I thought China Post was the oldest English-language newspaper in Tawan. They even have a certificate from the Guiness Book of World Records to prove it (page 2 of the second section, today’s anniversary edition).

As for bias, I don’t think you can compare the cheerleading for the DPP and TSU of the Taipei Times to the fact that the China Post ignored the KMT’s brutality and crimes for so many years. Today, all three newspapers are about even in quality, IMO, which is to say they suck. But I don’t see how the China Post can proudly celebrate its 50-year anniversary when it owes its survival to the patronage of the murderous KMT.

Here’s the latest example of madness at the Taipei Times.

On August 25, 26 and 27, the Liberty Times — the TT’s sister paper — ran a three-part feature story about a man accused of being a communist and probably killed by KMT troops in the early 1950s. Part One was about the man’s life story, Part Two was about a member of the prominent Koo family who lent him some money and was jailed as a result, Part Three was about the final crackdown at a mountain hide-out in which the man was probably killed by KMT troops.

Guess what. The Taipei Times translated Part Two and printed it as a stand-alone story.
Click here to see the story.

Apparently the Taipei Times was only interested in the Koo family, not in a nobody who lost his life in the hands of the KMT. And they didn’t even bother to check whether Part Two would make sense as a stand-alone.

People who care to read the article — and there won’t be too many, given that the original Chinese story itself is rather fluffy and extremely obsequious toward the Koo family — people who care to read the article are completely lost. Cut off from the rest of the series, the story becomes nonsense — but it certainly makes sense to the Koo family!!!

I’ve seen many nicknames given to the Taipei Times on these newspaper threads — Toady Times, Typo Times — but nothing reflects the madness of the TT management better than the “Koo Koo Times.”

Yes, the China News changed its name in 1999 to the Taiwan News as a part of its celebrating its 50th birthday and the purchase by I-mei (the DPP). Of course, they had operated under the murderous KMT as well for the past 50 years. The whole country did. As did all the forebears of the Taipei Times, which got its staff mainly from the other two papers and is part of the Liberty Times group. The TT is very pro-Lee Teng-hui, who did have a bit to do with the KMT in his day, having been appointed VP by the murderous Jiang Jingguo. You go back far enough and it’s all murderous.

I don’t know what this fuss is all about the KMT’s atrocities and the fact that a certain paper has blatantly hidden the real story of the island all these years. I just know I got to have some yummy cookies and juice at their 50th anniversary party yesterday. Plus, I got to rub shoulders with muy importante AmCham people and foreign officials from the likes of the Republic of Chad.
As for their special insert, so what if it was full of typos and blurry photos? They still were the first paper to run color ads (for cigarettes, look closer and you’ll see ads for places like the ‘Playboy Club’). Oh, I’ll stop. This is just too easy.

The thing about the China Post that I do not understand (and i love reading it, for free, every day, along with the other two rags, in the hotel lobby near my office) is … why does the Post always refer to CHINA as “mainland China” in all references? Even wire story news on the Internet that just says “Today China did such and such…” gets copyedited at the Post to read “Today mainland China did such and such…”

Every time… the word ‘‘China’’ in news reports gets ‘‘changed’’ to “mainland China” in the Post. Not at the News or the TT, or so I am told. Isn’t this censorship? Or propaganda? If the Los Angeles Times reporter writes “China” in his or her story, it gets CHANGED to “mainland China” when that story appears in the Post. Why in God’s name why? There must be a reason. Why?

I was also told by someone who once worked at one of those papers here that there is an editorial rule from the copy chief at the Post that every time the word CHINA appears it must be preceeded by the word MAINLAND. Is this true? Did anyone ever notice. Look at the feature story today on page 6… and everywhere.

WHY?

I can only guess that the KMT controlled Post thinks that Taiwan is part of China, and that to call China the mainland is a way to remind readers that Taiwan is a part of China, mainland China that is. WhY?

Maybe the Post is really controlled by puppets in Beijing, since the original owners were formerly reporters in China, er mainland China.

I will know, and you will know, that the China Post has fully entered the real world when it stops referring to China as mainland China in all stories AND when it changes it dogammed name! CHINA POST? Who are they kidding?

Why not change the name to TAIWAN POST or TAIPEI POST on its 50th anniversary. Now THAT would have been revolutionary. I think that from now on, I will refer to this paper as the TAIWAN POST and banish the term CHINA POST from my language. Any followers on this strange island of confused cantankerous curmudgeons?

Ooh. I like it. But since there already exists a Taiwan News :unamused: and a Taipei Times :cry:, why don’t we re-name it the Formosa Post? Has a nice, post-Zhonghua feel to it. 8)

I haven’t seen the paper but I’m told that today’s Taiwan News has a front page headline, re visit of Chen’s wife to the US:
Wu Shu-chen stands up for Taiwan :smiling_imp: :laughing: :smiling_imp:

anyone seen it?

“First lady ready to stand up for Taiwan on upcoming U.S. trip”

Pretty poor taste.

According to an article by Stuary Hamby in today’s China Post about a speech given by Lee Ying-yuan:

“Lee expressed the hope that his vision of Taipei could materialize within 20 years. In order to make this happen, he promised to make tourism his “number one project.” He stressed that he would clean up rivers and other tourist destinations to make them more attractive to visitors. He said that his tourism proposal could compared to former U.S. President Eishenhower’s New Deal.”

What is this, “History of the United States as Interpreted by Lee Ying-yuan and Stuart Hamby 101”?

Don’t blame the New Deal on Ike. As anyone who has taken a middle or high school history class in the U.S. knows, Franklin Roosevelt brought us the New Deal.

OK, so maybe Lee did say that. But hey Stuart Hamby, are you incompetent or just ignorant? If Lee did say that, then your article should point out this rather grave mistake. It certainly calls into question Lee’s intelligence.

Unless you yourself are also unlear on the facts . . . could it be? A foreigner reporter in Taipei who doesn’t know what they are doing? Say it ain’t so! Let’s call a spade a spade. Hamby, you are not going to win any journalism awards.

Hey, if the China Post and the Taipei Times combined into one, you know what they could call it?

The POST-CHINA TIMES!!!

Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

But seriously, American journalism is just as Orwellian. Ten years ago they all started changing “Persian Gulf” to “Arabian Gulf.” Before that “pro-life” became “anti-abortion,” but “pro-choice” stayed as it was. Etc., etc.

I really enjoy the movie reviews by Nelson and Carson Wu. Not only do they write well, but their assessments are usually spot-on. I actually plan my movie-going around their reviews. I also like Jonathan Wardle’s column View From The Hill. He has a lot of in-depth knowledge of Taiwan. (And he knows the ccorrect usage of the term Hoi Polloi).I like Hartzell’s column The H Agenda when it talks about legal affairs. The cultural analyses don’t always do it for me. The Off-The-Rails column has never done it for me, not when Joshua Samuel Brown was writing it, and not now with Alita Rickards.