Not Daily English 2.0

I think the original Not Daily English thread was in Temp, so here’s a new one. :slight_smile:

@tando

Security =/= securities.

Security has a range of meanings, including the concept of the social safety net, as in social security. There is rarely any reason to treat it as a countable noun, unless it refers to a financial asset, in which case it is more often seen in the plural, securities i.e. stocks, bonds, futures etc.

In theory you could have social securities, but it sounds like some kind of novel currency or investment scheme.

3 Likes

Thank you for your free online English lesson.

@tempogain taught me it is standard to use plurals for nouns, but he might be sometimes wrong.

Btw, I have my thread for this kind of things.

Oops, I should have posted there. :doh:

Just move it there, then!
Don’t you have mods supreme powers?

1 Like

Of course not! Only the Discolord has supreme power. We mods do have awesome power, but that’s different.

Do I have the power to fix this?
@tempogain fortune

I wish the US would have social securities rather than social security; perhaps then I’d actually have real money when I retire instead of hoping the current Ponzi scheme doesn’t completely break down before I can get my 10 cents on the dollar.

It depends if they’re count or non-count nouns, but it can get pretty confusing at times what noun is functioning in what role in what situation.

Stan: Biggest fan, extreme fan, stalker fan.

Originally from “Stan” by Eminem.