Not enjoying maoman's moderating

HEY EVERYBODY!
…this is Tonys (Anthonys) place here.

Its his sandbox…His rules…

This is very true. Even more than that, it’s a website that we are allowed to participate in. It’s ownership belongs to one or two individuals operate it at the expense of their own time and, at least as far as I understand, a good bit of their own money.

I really don’t understand some who take on a sense of entitlement, act like they are customers here, or make claims about professionalism or lack thereof amongst the admin…There are issues and people that I get frustrated with here from time to time, and when that happens, it’s time for me to take a break. But whether or not I come back, as I have tended to, is up to me. It’s not my sandbox, so if I don’t like it, it’s up to me to pick up my toys and go home. :idunno:[/quote]

So are you saying that Maoman isn’t allowed to have a feedback forum on his site? :ponder:

I was under the impression, from a few things Maoman has said, that he wants to make money from this site. Feedback is valuable in that regard. But so is customer service. There are, of course, the sponsors to think about, as surely they would like as large an audience as possible. And there are people like me who promote the site whenever possible, because it does have a value for people trying to get support for projects. As a discussion forum, though, I believe improvements could be made.

Not at all: I was offering my personal opinion about the site and the attitude I take to it. The responsibility to his sponsors is his, not mine to worry about, and as far as customer service goes, what am I paying for here?

“If you’re not paying for the product, you are the product.”

Of course, given the community aspects, f.com’s much more than that. IMO, there’s a good deal on the business side of things that could be improved, but there’s a great deal more that could be improved if individuals cared, or thought, a wee bit more about how they post.

And Stray Dog, please, this is tiresome. Bury the bone.

Ideally, Forumosa should be for everybody that wants to be a positive part of an online community, so I don’t really feel it’s MY sandbox. At least it would be a pretty quiet place if it were only for me and my best mates. Forumosa is a community, and every community has its culture and rules of conduct. Interestingly, most of what happens on Forumosa doesn’t meed moderation. Our culture and history is strong enough that people kind of know what is tolerated and what isn’t, which is a result of pretty consistent work by the moderators over the years. A lot of them put in hours and hours of service every week and even every day to make sure that Forumosa remains a friendly, interesting, and useful site. If guidelines are breached, and nastiness, or even the potential of nastiness arises, I often get involved.

For those of you who don’t know us in real life, Stray Dog and I are friends, and he’s someone I have an immense amount of respect for. I know I frustrate him sometimes (hence this thread), but I don’t think he doubts my good intentions, just my execution. (SD, if I’ve inaccurately characterized your feelings, please correct me.)

I do welcome feedback, and often implement suggested changes. Sometimes I don’t. I make mistakes, and when I recognize them, I’m usually pretty quick to apologize. When disagreements arise, I mostly try to be polite, but sometimes I get a little snarky which isn’t one of my better qualities. I can be a stubborn, arrogant S.O.B. sometimes. I get a lot of good feedback from PMs, too, especially from my moderators. Jimipresley, for one, isn’t afraid to tell me when he thinks I’m completely wrong, God bless him, nor is ironlady.

I’m not sure if there’s a lot more to be said in this thread, but if you want to weigh in, please do. I try to take all comments, positive or negative, in the spirit of making the website a better, friendlier place, so please don’t feel shy if there’s something on your mind.

If the above isn’t enough to put this “issue” to rest, I don’t know what will. Excellent post, Maoman. :thumbsup:

sometimes I dun understand white folks.

[quote=“maoman”]Ideally, Forumosa should be for everybody that wants to be a positive part of an online community, so I don’t really feel it’s MY sandbox. At least it would be a pretty quiet place if it were only for me and my best mates. Forumosa is a community, and every community has its culture and rules of conduct. Interestingly, most of what happens on Forumosa doesn’t meed moderation. Our culture and history is strong enough that people kind of know what is tolerated and what isn’t, which is a result of pretty consistent work by the moderators over the years. A lot of them put in hours and hours of service every week and even every day to make sure that Forumosa remains a friendly, interesting, and useful site. If guidelines are breached, and nastiness, or even the potential of nastiness arises, I often get involved.

For those of you who don’t know us in real life, Stray Dog and I are friends, and he’s someone I have an immense amount of respect for. I know I frustrate him sometimes (hence this thread), but I don’t think he doubts my good intentions, just my execution. (SD, if I’ve inaccurately characterized your feelings, please correct me.)

I do welcome feedback, and often implement suggested changes. Sometimes I don’t. I make mistakes, and when I recognize them, I’m usually pretty quick to apologize. When disagreements arise, I mostly try to be polite, but sometimes I get a little snarky which isn’t one of my better qualities. I can be a stubborn, arrogant S.O.B. sometimes. I get a lot of good feedback from PMs, too, especially from my moderators. Jimipresley, for one, isn’t afraid to tell me when he thinks I’m completely wrong, God bless him, nor is ironlady.

I’m not sure if there’s a lot more to be said in this thread, but if you want to weigh in, please do. I try to take all comments, positive or negative, in the spirit of making the website a better, friendlier place, so please don’t feel shy if there’s something on your mind.[/quote]

Yes, this is just feedback on execution, not on anything personal, like your funny hairstyle or anything like that. And, yes, we are friends, but really only because I fancy your wife; what’s your excuse?

Anyway, consider yourself feedbacked. And thanks for letting me know my concerns have at least been heard.

It is your sandbox.

I just play in it and leave lumpy surprises on occasion…:smiley:

So, a sorry twist in the tale.
The protagonists of this drama turn out to be friends. Instead of a proper fight it was actually more of a lovers’ tiff! A sigh of disappointment ripples through the crowd and people begin drifting away.
Suddenly, someone shouts “Over there! Look, Hawaiian shirts for sale - 70% off!!!”
And the stampede begins anew.

Right back atcha, TC. :sunglasses:

[quote=“almas john”]So, a sorry twist in the tale.
The protagonists of this drama turn out to be friends. Instead of a proper fight it was actually more of a lovers’ tiff! A sigh of disappointment ripples through the crowd and people begin drifting away.
Suddenly, someone shouts “Over there! Look, Hawaiian shirts for sale - 70% off!!!”
And the stampede begins anew.[/quote]

I was only getting warmed up, darn :slight_smile: . There’s nothing that I hate more than cosy consensus.

Quote "“If you’re not paying for the product, you are the product.”… Wrong, so wrong. As a business man, I chose or not to advertise on this site. Forumosa is not free to operate it needs money to keep on going. Maoman doesn’t work for free. I don’t work for free and you sure don’t work for free as well. To be honest, I do not advertise on forumosa as foreigners are not my target but I could understand the owner of this site to control the content. No business wants to be associated with anything that will tarnish their name. This not a public service. It is a friendly business. It means that the owner has every right to control the content.
In my businesses, I control every aspect of them. I do not tell you how to run your house and I sure don’t want you to tell me how to run mine.

[quote=“iix23”]Quote "“If you’re not paying for the product, you are the product.”… Wrong, so wrong. As a business man, I chose or not to advertise on this site. Forumosa is not free to operate it needs money to keep on going. Maoman doesn’t work for free. I don’t work for free and you sure don’t work for free as well. To be honest, I do not advertise on forumosa as foreigners are not my target but I could understand the owner of this site to control the content. No business wants to be associated with anything that will tarnish their name. This not a public service. It is a friendly business. It means that the owner has every right to control the content.
In my businesses, I control every aspect of them. I do not tell you how to run your house and I sure don’t want you to tell me how to run mine.[/quote]

That’s interesting. So, if you were a restaurant owner, you would control every aspect of the diners’ behavior?

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“iix23”]Quote "“If you’re not paying for the product, you are the product.”… Wrong, so wrong. As a business man, I chose or not to advertise on this site. Forumosa is not free to operate it needs money to keep on going. Maoman doesn’t work for free. I don’t work for free and you sure don’t work for free as well. To be honest, I do not advertise on forumosa as foreigners are not my target but I could understand the owner of this site to control the content. No business wants to be associated with anything that will tarnish their name. This not a public service. It is a friendly business. It means that the owner has every right to control the content.
In my businesses, I control every aspect of them. I do not tell you how to run your house and I sure don’t want you to tell me how to run mine.[/quote]

That’s interesting. So, if you were a restaurant owner, you would control every aspect of the diners’ behavior?[/quote]

Actually, my favorite quote is, " You could always go to Mc Donalds" Just kidding. Maoman brings us a product that I like and wish to participate in. This is a “niche” sector in Taiwan. My businesses are also a niche sector in Taiwan… Got no menu and advise my costumers on how to order. I never advertise. If you like it you will come back. If not, then I will be closed very fast. I have not and in many years and I am still expanding. Like Maoman’s business, you have a choice. If you don’t like to engage in my operating ways you don’t have to.

People should stop thinking that they own the space where they go or the site they use. Cause they really don’t. Everybody has something to say about someone else business ( portion is too small price is to high. Can’t say what I want on forumosa this is a dictature) IF you can do better, I will be your best costumer, just do it.

[quote=“iix23”][quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“iix23”]Quote "“If you’re not paying for the product, you are the product.”… Wrong, so wrong. As a business man, I chose or not to advertise on this site. Forumosa is not free to operate it needs money to keep on going. Maoman doesn’t work for free. I don’t work for free and you sure don’t work for free as well. To be honest, I do not advertise on forumosa as foreigners are not my target but I could understand the owner of this site to control the content. No business wants to be associated with anything that will tarnish their name. This not a public service. It is a friendly business. It means that the owner has every right to control the content.

That’s interesting. So, if you were a restaurant owner, you would control every aspect of the diners’ behavior?[/quote]

Actually, my favorite quote is, " You could always go to Mc Donalds" Just kidding[/quote]

My point was that “I own it so whatever I says goes” doesn’t work well for a web forum. People have to feel that it is their place too.

[quote=“BigJohn”]

My point was that “I own it so whatever I says goes” doesn’t work well for a web forum. People have to feel that it is their place too.[/quote]
Ah. Herein lies the rub. That delicate balance is OH so precarious…

And what if the owner is doing something that may be tarnishing his business’s name? This is why feedback is valuable.

If you care and want to help? Put in a little face time or send a pm. If you want to draw attention to the matter publicly, go “Apple Daily”, as has arguably happened here. I would have had no idea about the threads you were talking about, as I am neither a fan of animals or religion. The only way this came to my attention was a big glaring title in this section that involves someone I think we all highly respect. I had a look in at it, since I thought the moderating was mostly left up to others on the site and became curious to see what this was all about.

Is there a difference between feedback and criticism these days? I think I’m getting too old to tell the difference, because it all sounds like complaining to me, lol. :grandpa:

It’s been explained to him by the site owner but he doesn’t get it.

Maybe a practical example or two will help him. This is how it’s done.