Not many westerners or foreign teachers here at all

I sometimes hear locals saying how many addula (western foreigners) there are in Taiwan these days.

Well according to the statistics there are only 6000 western teachers in Taiwan and around 3000 business men/women. (not sure about western students). Over half of these are located in Taipei city/county and Taoyen
A tiny amount if you compare how many Chinese there are in western countries of course.
There are however 467,000 foreign laborers here. That is quite a substantial amount.

Interesting to have some real figures for a change.

It’s because they are ignorant. Sit on a train for a while. A child will say ‘LOOK at foreigner.’ And their parents will agree. Instead the parents should say ‘Shut the fuck up you twat, you are being a narrow minded prick.’

White people in England are equally such twats. If you are in my company in England and you see an Asian it is ‘ok’ apparently to say., ‘Would you fuck her then? She is yellow.’ White people also think its ok to say the word ‘paki’ around me. Racism is rife in England.

Cunts are global. Racism is the breeding ground for twats.

You mean the registered teachers…

As a side note, the greatest number of illegals in Australia are from the UK Tomhill :slight_smile: , but don’t feel bad, all the Americans are still in Austria :laughing:

1 Like

I thought everybody in Australia was an illegal from the UK.

Don’t get the Austria anti-kangaroo bill. I guess that’s just anti-marsupial bigotry at work.

Since there are about 6 million Asians in North America vs. 6 thousand North Americans in Asia, that’s a ratio of about 100:1, isn’t it? What does this say? Probably nothing good about either countries…

Children are thick. Why else would they have to go to school every day?

[quote=“Quentin”]I thought everybody in Australia was an illegal from the UK.

Don’t get the Austria anti-kangaroo bill. I guess that’s just anti-marsupial bigotry at work.

Since there are about 6 million Asians in North America vs. 6 thousand North Americans in Asia, that’s a ratio of about 100:1, isn’t it? What does this say? Probably nothing good about either countries…[/quote]

Actually the number of Aussies that can trace their roots back to the convicts is a minority. Most of us are more recent immigrants (my parents are both born in The Netherlands).

The “There are no Kangaroos in Austria” is quite a common theme in the tourist area’s when I went there. It was caused by the number of American’s asking where the damn kangaroos are! Hitler came from Austria, and Kangaroos come from Australia damn it!

[quote=“Buttercup”]
Children are thick. Why else would they have to go to school every day?[/quote]

Look. If my siggie line were about being plain, old funny instead of incredibly pithy, I’d have little choice but to post that quote.

Brilliant!! :bravo:

Sure glad you didn’t split BC. :wink:

They’re EVERYWHERE! EVERYWHERE I GO! EVERYBODY PANIC!

fuck off 6000 western teachers in taiwan…try 60,000…

[quote=“fenlander”]I sometimes hear locals saying how many addula (western foreigners) there are in Taiwan these days.

Well according to the statistics there are only 6000 western teachers in Taiwan and around 3000 business men/women. (not sure about western students). [/quote]
What’s the source? Just some local telling you?

[quote=“Rascal”][quote=“fenlander”]I sometimes hear locals saying how many addula (western foreigners) there are in Taiwan these days.

Well according to the statistics there are only 6000 western teachers in Taiwan and around 3000 business men/women. (not sure about western students). [/quote]
What’s the source? Just some local telling you?[/quote]

National Taiwan Police Administartion Foreign affairs division.
That good enough ?

[…]

Now to answer your question.

According to the foreign affairs division of the national police administration division it is just over 6000 not 60 000
(as the other poster correctly pointed out though it is the legal ones who have obtained ARC for teaching).

Taiwan has a population of around 22 million

If it were 60,000 then around 0.2-0.3% of the population would be English teachers.
If it were 6000 then it would be around 0.02%

and yes there are legally around 467 000 foreign laborers in Taiwan. :noway:

[quote=“The Taipei Times, quoted by the National Police Administration”]
Laborers comprise biggest group of foreign residents

The Taipei Times staff Jul 30, 2006

According to the latest interior ministry figures, 467,979 foreigners were residing in Taiwan as of last month. Of these, the largest group, totaling 337,000, was foreign laborers, accounting for 62.2 percent of the total figure. The second-largest group was foreign spouses (not including Chinese spouses), of whom there were 79,000, 14.7 percent of the total.

In terms of profession, the next largest groups of foreign residents was teachers, of whom there were more than 6000, businessmen and engineers, both over 3000 each, and then missionaries of whom there were around 1,500.

The two largest groups account for over three-fourths of the total foreigner population in the country and reside mainly in Taipei County, Taoyuan County, and Taipei City.

The number of foreign laborers increased 12 percent from the same period last year with Thais, Filipinos and Vietnamese workers forming the three largest groups by nationality, the report said.

The number of Indonesian laborers increased the most by some 46,000 people while the number of Vietnamese workers decreased the most, by some 19,000, but officials did not elaborate on the reasons behind the fluctuations.

The number of foreign spouses decreased by 7.6 percent due to the launch of the Ministry of the Interior’s naturalization exams at the beginning of the year.As a result many foreign spouses have taken the exam and obtained Taiwanese citizenship, ministry officials said.The report stated that most of the foreign spouses (62.5 percent) were Vietnamese.

The report also said that 70,691 foreigners with visitor visas (including visitors from visa exempt countries) were in the country as of the end of last month, and were mainly on business trips or vacations.

Of these, 21,186, or 29.97 percent, were Americans, followed by 13,933, Japanese visitors at almost 20 percent and 7,755 Indonesians forming 10.9 percent of visitors.[/quote]Source

1000:1, but you figures look dodgy. What about the US military in Korea, Japan, Afghanistan and Iraq?

[quote=“fenlander”]National Taiwan Police Administartion Foreign affairs division.
That good enough ?[/quote]
Yep, that will do as far as the official count goes.

kangaroos in austria:

during the sydney olympics (2000) scores of yanks were getting off the plane at vienna airport and asking for directions to Homebush Bay (main Olympic Venue) or to their (Sydney) hotel.

sorry to burst your bubble, tyc00n, there actually are a few kangaroos in austria, as there are in england. mostly on small farms as pets but some people did try to farm them for meat. a rogue male got out of a fenced paddock (gee, can they jump?) and spent a merry few days wreaking havoc on some motorway in suffolk a couple of years ago, before being recaptured. (can’t find the reference anywhere at the mo.)

skippy tastes good!

And why not? Paki is derogatory only because we made it so. It was originally meant only as a shortening of the word “Pakistani.”
The Aussies get away with it. Pakistanis get away with it between themselves but if a Brit, Limey, Pommy or Yank says the forbidden word “paki” then we are all looney racists.

What people don’t realise is that the more you ban a word, the more people will use it out of spite.

And why not? Paki is derogatory only because we made it so. It was originally meant only as a shortening of the word “Pakistani.”
The Aussies get away with it. Pakistanis get away with it between themselves but if a Brit, Limey, Pommy or Yank says the forbidden word “paki” then we are all looney racists.

What people don’t realise is that the more you ban a word, the more people will use it out of spite.[/quote]

It’s an example. It means that people think it is ok to be racist around me and I will just accept their racism. I’m not arguing semantics.

[quote=“fenlander”]I sometimes hear locals saying how many addula (western foreigners) there are in Taiwan these days.

[quote=“fenlander”]National Taiwan Police Administartion Foreign affairs division.
That good enough ?[/quote]

You sure, Rascal? Them folks at the National Taiwan Police Administartion Foreign affairs division are just some locals, too. :sunglasses:

Makes sense to me. 10,000 white-collar foreigners is the figure I’ve heard bandied about.

Sure about what?

I take that fenlander’s statement about ‘locals’ was not referring to ‘them folks’ at the NPAFAD, so my reply would also not include them (context and all that).