Not many westerners or foreign teachers here at all

Fine. You usually are.

ok so ive just proved that the bear brain cant handle figures higher than 10ā€¦6000 it isā€¦guess we just put ourselves about more than the localsā€¦i thought i was seeing different big nosesā€¦turns out its the same people walking past me, then running around the block to walk past me againā€¦

on the subject of fun with figures the china post had a wonderful story today about a drug bust in keelung of 100kg of amphetamines/ketamineā€¦which the CNA claims is sufficient for use of 15 million peopleā€¦ie most of the islandā€¦that sure would have boosted productivity then if it had hit the streets; imagine 15 million taiwanese iced to the eyeballs!

Not CNA. The police. It should have said ā€œwhich police claimed was enough for 15 million peopleā€ if it said anything, which it wouldnā€™t if Iā€™d edited it ā€“ how much is ā€œenoughā€ for ā€œone person,ā€ after all?
Either use figures that actually mean something or leave 'em out is what Iā€™d say to them. Assuming I actually gave a shit one way or another, of course. :wink:

Not CNA. The police. It should have said ā€œwhich police claimed was enough for 15 million peopleā€ if it said anything, which it wouldnā€™t if Iā€™d edited it ā€“ how much is ā€œenoughā€ for ā€œone person,ā€ after all?
Either use figures that actually mean something or leave 'em out is what Iā€™d say to them. Assuming I actually gave a shit one way or another, of course. :wink:[/quote]

they is saying each person needs 0.0066666 of a gramā€¦i guess in their little book of drug use one hit = 0.00666 of a gramā€¦

if however we presume that only englsih teachers are drug abusers (fair enough assumption) then each english teacher gets 16.6 grams eachā€¦which should get you thru a few weeks of bushiban teaching without the need for sleep

sweet, sorted

[quote=ā€œthe bearā€]ok so ive just proved that the bear brain cant handle figures higher than 10ā€¦6000 it isā€¦guess we just put ourselves about more than the localsā€¦i thought i was seeing different big nosesā€¦turns out its the same people walking past me, then running around the block to walk past me againā€¦

![/quote]

If you live in Ku ting or Tien Mu then u will see loads of adullas. So valid point if you live in thsoe areas.
I heard this Taiwanese girl outside Kuting Mc Donalds ā€œthere are so many foreigners in Taiwanā€

So i said (she was astonished i spoke Mandarin) ā€œis that good or badā€ She said ā€œoh itā€™s great of course, then we went to the hotel and had sexā€ !
(the sex bit was a joke of course)

And why not? Paki is derogatory only because we made it so. It was originally meant only as a shortening of the word ā€œPakistani.ā€
The Aussies get away with it. Pakistanis get away with it between themselves but if a Brit, Limey, Pommy or Yank says the forbidden word ā€œpakiā€ then we are all looney racists.

What people donā€™t realise is that the more you ban a word, the more people will use it out of spite.[/quote]

So, do you go around using that word?

It doesnā€™t matter when or how it became derogatory. I would find it offensive if someone said that when I was around.

[quote]So, do you go around using that word?
[/quote]

No. But if I did use it, it would be none of your business.

Tough. In fact, I donā€™t give a flying fuck what you or anybody else finds offensive. I object to being told what not to say and what to say.
What people fail to understand is that it is the context with which words are said, and not the words in themselves.

If someone near me said ā€œā€¦and the Pakiā€™s beat Sri Lanka by 8 wicketsā€ then I wouldnā€™t bat an eye lid.
If someone near me said ā€¦ā€œthose Pakiā€™s are everywhereā€¦,ā€ then Iā€™d probably have something to say.

If an old man said ā€œJapā€™sā€ then I wouldnā€™t find that offensive either, as he more than likely has good reason to use a derogatory term against them.

The bottom line is anyone has the right to be offensive, racist or anything they want to be, the same as YOU or Tom Hill or anybody else has the right to do or say something about it.
People get offended to different degrees and different levels and in MHO, you canā€™t just make a blanket ban on words such as ā€œblack boardā€ or ā€œman holeā€ because it may just offend a passing Black feminist.

taiwanese are so lucky to have a foreigner like you living in their country, dangermouse. for real.

What a bizarre thing to write! What could it mean?

Thats only because your an uneducated ignorant pratt. :smiley: :smiley:

Plenty of German families moved there too. We got to use the convict labour as well.

And why not? Paki is derogatory only because we made it so. It was originally meant only as a shortening of the word ā€œPakistani.ā€
The Aussies get away with it. Pakistanis get away with it between themselves but if a Brit, Limey, Pommy or Yank says the forbidden word ā€œpakiā€ then we are all looney racists.

What people donā€™t realise is that the more you ban a word, the more people will use it out of spite.[/quote]

Hmmmā€¦maybe itā€™s a Brit thingā€¦ btw, is ā€œBritā€ ok, or is that a derogatory term used by the Irish against those from the other side of the Irish sea? :smiley:

In South Africa, people of ā€œIndian peninsular originā€ bandy the term ā€œPakiā€ around, especially wrt cricket. Youā€™ll see banners with allsorts of slogans bearing the word ā€œPakiā€ at cricket matches against the good folks from the Muslim Republic of Pakistan, with ā€œPaki Power!ā€ being a firm favourite.

[quote]Pakistan
One of the variations regarding ā€œstanā€ is this: Itā€™s said that the modern name Pakistan was formed by combining the suffix ā€œstanā€ from the existing territory of Baluchistan, with the first letters of Pashtun, Afghan, Kasmir and India, thus PAKIstanā€¦
Another option, verified by numerous sources, is that Pakistan is a composition of two words ā€œPAKā€ and ā€œISTANā€. PAK is a Persian/Urdu word meaning "Holy/ Pure/ Clean and ā€œISTANā€ stands for ā€œHOMELANDā€. Then the true meanings resolves to ā€œHomeland of the Holy Peopleā€.[/quote]

Ermā€¦ok thenā€¦so Pakistan means ā€œPaki country.ā€ Also, no one seems too concerned when we talk of the Tajikiā€™s, Afghans, Kazakhiā€™s or Turkmeniā€™sā€¦ So Iā€™ll have to go with Dangermouse on this one.

See also:
phrases.org.uk/bulletin_boar ā€¦ s/768.html
worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/stan.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-stan

[quote=ā€œfenlanderā€]
I heard this Taiwanese girl outside Guting Mc Donalds ā€œthere are so many foreigners in Taiwanā€

So i said (she was astonished i spoke Mandarin) ā€œis that good or badā€ She said ā€œoh itā€™s great of course, then we went to the hotel and had sexā€ !
(the sex bit was a joke of course)[/quote]

Keep practicing, youā€™ll get it right. :wink:

I was at a KFCs in Taipei on a Sunday a year or so ago that was packed with Filipina maids on their day off. The kid behind the counter was struggling with his English; when he looked up and saw my white face he smiled in relief and switched to Mandarin.

Only 9,000 foreigners in Taiwan? I swear I must be serendipitous when it comes to seeing them because from my experience, Iā€™d think there were much more than that. Then again, if my OPWotD count is also correct, there should be no danger of a baby bust in Taiwan like the naysayers claim.

[quote=ā€œDangermouseā€][quote]So, do you go around using that word?
[/quote]

No. But if I did use it, it would be none of your business.

Tough. In fact, I donā€™t give a flying fuck what you or anybody else finds offensive. I object to being told what not to say and what to say.
What people fail to understand is that it is the context with which words are said, and not the words in themselves.

If someone near me said ā€œā€¦and the Pakiā€™s beat Sri Lanka by 8 wicketsā€ then I wouldnā€™t bat an eye lid.
If someone near me said ā€¦ā€œthose Pakiā€™s are everywhereā€¦,ā€ then Iā€™d probably have something to say.

If an old man said ā€œJapā€™sā€ then I wouldnā€™t find that offensive either, as he more than likely has good reason to use a derogatory term against them.

The bottom line is anyone has the right to be offensive, racist or anything they want to be, the same as YOU or Tom Hill or anybody else has the right to do or say something about it.
People get offended to different degrees and different levels and in MHO, you canā€™t just make a blanket ban on words such as ā€œblack boardā€ or ā€œman holeā€ because it may just offend a passing Black feminist.[/quote]

I have to say, those niggers make really good basketball players.

Iā€™d make a play on the word ā€œman holeā€ but this is a PG-rated site. Iā€™m just here to draw the black lines. You all fill in the colors yourselves.

[quote=ā€œThe Taipei Times, quoted by the National Police Administrationā€]
Laborers comprise biggest group of foreign residents

The Taipei Times staff Jul 30, 2006

According to the latest interior ministry figures, 467,979 foreigners were residing in Taiwan as of last month. Of these, the largest group, totaling 337,000, was foreign laborers, accounting for 62.2 percent of the total figure. The second-largest group was foreign spouses (not including Chinese spouses), of whom there were 79,000, 14.7 percent of the total.

In terms of profession, the next largest groups of foreign residents was teachers, of whom there were more than 6000, businessmen and engineers, both over 3000 each, and then missionaries of whom there were around 1,500.

The two largest groups account for over three-fourths of the total foreigner population in the country and reside mainly in Taipei County, Taoyuan County, and Taipei City.

The number of foreign laborers increased 12 percent from the same period last year with Thais, Filipinos and Vietnamese workers forming the three largest groups by nationality, the report said.

The number of Indonesian laborers increased the most by some 46,000 people while the number of Vietnamese workers decreased the most, by some 19,000, but officials did not elaborate on the reasons behind the fluctuations.

The number of foreign spouses decreased by 7.6 percent due to the launch of the Ministry of the Interiorā€™s naturalization exams at the beginning of the year.As a result many foreign spouses have taken the exam and obtained Taiwanese citizenship, ministry officials said.The report stated that most of the foreign spouses (62.5 percent) were Vietnamese.

The report also said that 70,691 foreigners with visitor visas (including visitors from visa exempt countries) were in the country as of the end of last month, and were mainly on business trips or vacations.

Of these, 21,186, or 29.97 percent, were Americans, followed by 13,933, Japanese visitors at almost 20 percent and 7,755 Indonesians forming 10.9 percent of visitors.[/quote]Source fixed.
Letā€™s go over this again.
21,186 American tourists
6,000 English teachers
3,000 Businessmen
3,000 Engineers
1,500 Missionaries

One thing to point out is that some of those 79,000 in the spouse category are Americans/White Guys/Native English Speakers/Whatever. Probably only a few thousand, guessing from the posters on Forumosa, if thatā€™s a fair sample. Also, I wonder if they count APRC holders, though maybe most of them are counted in the foreign spouses category. Also, they seem to be counting people by visa type. But I doubt that the racial breakdown of Americans (teachers, toursists, spouses, not to mention missionaries) in Taiwan is 13% black and 14% hispanic as is the USA. (nor the breakdown of Americans in Iraqā€¦). I only mention race because its whatā€™s easiest to see when you walk around if that is a valid survey quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

[quote=ā€œToe Tagā€]ā€¦
21,186 American tourists
6,000 English teachers
ā€¦[/quote]

So thats 27186 English teachers then?

XD Around thatā€¦

4 years ago!! Does anyone have the updated figures?

The stats are here . The number of English teachers has declined by about 200 to just under 6000. In 2000 though there were just 3,800 teachers with ARCs.

[quote=ā€œTyc00nā€]You mean the registered teachersā€¦

As a side note, the greatest number of illegals in Australia are from the UK Tomhill :slight_smile: , but donā€™t feel bad, all the Americans are still in Austria :laughing:

[/quote]

But there are kangaroos in Austriaā€¦

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4813976.stm

Itā€™s probably gone up, because the 200 ā€œunaccountedā€ for ARC teachers have gone on to an APRC or JFRV along with about another 800 or so. Three or four years ago, an APRC or JFRV holder was hard to find in Tainan. Now you canā€™t swing a cat by the tail in a foreigner bar without hitting one or ten. :2cents:

Bit of a grave dig, this.

Itā€™s probably gone up, because the 200 ā€œunaccountedā€ for ARC teachers have gone on to an APRC or JFRV along with about another 800 or so. Three or four years ago, an APRC or JFRV holder was hard to find in Tainan. Now you canā€™t swing a cat by the tail in a foreigner bar without hitting one or ten. :2cents:

Bit of a grave dig, this.[/quote]

Not so sure about gone up. My own impression is that the total has likely gone down. re: the stat about ARC holders in 2000, when I first arrived here, scads of foreigners were doing the visa trip/ā€œlanguage schoolā€ illegal gigs. The true number of teachers was much higher than reported, with a significant portion of them here on visitor visas. Go back further and nobody at all was on ARC. I had employers encouraging me to go the visa trip/language school route also. Now, virtually nobody is doing this, most who can people have gone ARC, the visa mills are closed and there are fewer teachers overall.