Not Really One Good Reason To Visit to Taiwan

jesus80 and mahkie: You two have hit on the exact problem facing Taiwan’s tourism industry. For a long time, the bozos in charge thought that promoting Taiwan as the world center of Chinese culture was the best way to draw people in; it turns out that China looks more like China than Taiwan does. One problem is that a lot of parts of Taiwan don’t have a good sense of local identity, so there’s not really much to do if you end up visiting, say, Yunlin. Tourism officials need to work on integrating resources and coming up with a “theme” to convince people to come to Taiwan – and “free China” is not good enough.

Another alternative is appealing to the Asia/Oceania market, but you know how government officials are – they want the ‘prestigious’ European and North American tourists and don’t care about other markets.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]jesus80 and mahkie: You two have hit on the exact problem facing Taiwan’s tourism industry. For a long time, the bozos in charge thought that promoting Taiwan as the world center of Chinese culture was the best way to draw people in; it turns out that China looks more like China than Taiwan does. One problem is that a lot of parts of Taiwan don’t have a good sense of local identity, so there’s not really much to do if you end up visiting, say, Yunlin. Tourism officials need to work on integrating resources and coming up with a “theme” to convince people to come to Taiwan – and “free China” is not good enough.

Another alternative is appealing to the Asia/Oceania market, but you know how government officials are – they want the ‘prestigious’ European and North American tourists and don’t care about other markets.[/quote]

Hey, c’mon now. I won’t have anyone badmouthing Yunlin. I lived there for six months and can personally vouch that it has some really sturdy pylons and an adequate number of 7-Elevens.

For Expats living in Asia, Taipei is an excellent long weekend. Food, hiking, shopping, nightmarkets, teahouses, museums. Wouldnt be able to recommend it for long-haul passengers though

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]jesus80 and mahkie: You two have hit on the exact problem facing Taiwan’s tourism industry. For a long time, the bozos in charge thought that promoting Taiwan as the world center of Chinese culture was the best way to draw people in; it turns out that China looks more like China than Taiwan does. One problem is that a lot of parts of Taiwan don’t have a good sense of local identity, so there’s not really much to do if you end up visiting, say, Yunlin. Tourism officials need to work on integrating resources and coming up with a “theme” to convince people to come to Taiwan – and “free China” is not good enough.

Another alternative is appealing to the Asia/Oceania market, but you know how government officials are – they want the ‘prestigious’ European and North American tourists and don’t care about other markets.[/quote]
Nope! they don’t promote themselves as the free China, they claim to be the fuckin’ heart of ASIA!!!

Laughable. There are hundreds or thousands of interesting places to visit in Asia before needed to even take a peek in Taiwan.

As for the Asian market, that’s what I understand that they’re already doing, and I think that it’s the only option that actually makes any sense. If the flight is cheap enough, and you live a few hours from here… why not to drop by Taiwan?

They used to. Before Chinese tourists started coming, Taiwan was advertised as the “true center of Chinese culture” what with the National Palace Museum and all the temples. And that’s about it. Nevermind those guys over there with a great wall – that’s not Chinese, we are! Meanwhile they downplayed true cultural gems like budaixi (glove puppetry) and Taiwanese opera while advertising the two or three Peking opera joints in town. Shows you their priorities, no?

This would be like arguing the US is the true center of European culture and you should go to LA for Belgian chocolate and an Italian opera.

You mean, literally? That’s a lot! :astonished:

I guess it depends very much on what someone regards as interesting.

I guess it depends very much on what someone regards as interesting.[/quote]
:slight_smile:

It’s not difficult for it to be literal. I was in Kyoto in 2004 and as a city, It was much more interesting to see than Taipei, with plenty of beautiful temples to visit, interesting architecture, lots of museums, hot springs, public baths i got to share with yakuza and buddhist monks at the same time, and the usual mainstream stuff (KTVs and so on). Only 10 days, but much more interesting. I still have dozens of spots to visit, and that’s for Kyoto only. I could easily give you a hundred places more, only in Japan. Add up the rest of asian countries (not just eastern Asia), and you might end up with thousands of places to visit.

That’s simply not true. Tourism began under the DPP with their Challenge 2008 program (begun in 2002) and the stress was on Taiwan as Taiwan: a place with a unique history and culture formed by colonialism, aboriginal influence, and the localization of southern Chinese traditions. This changed with the change in government which means the time when Chinese began to arrive en masse.

Btw, as for the Great Wall, you do realize it is almost entirely a reproduction now?

Anyway, most people are down on what Taiwan has to offer because people like easy attractions that others have already told them are important. Hence Japan or Ankor Wat, or the Great Wall. That’s how tourism works. Not that these aren’t great sites but most people have no idea why other than a laundry list of cliches.

Think what I am saying is untrue: okay, all you people who have been to Angkor, please right now without looking it up tell me how an Ankor temple was constructed? How for example did they make arches, and towers, what’s a polylobate, and what myths are predominantly displayed in the relief walls?

Or tell me about these Japanese temples? How do they differ from Taiwanese? Do you know or do the former simply appeal to you more and hence you think they are superior?

Compare Taiwanese opera or shadow puppetry with any local performing art in another Asian country and tell me why it is so superior?

Can you say anything about the places you have been to that isn’t superficial and cliched?

I think Taiwan has a lot to offer in terms of tourism, just that nobody(both government and the people) really cares enough to improve and polish them.

It’s not difficult for it to be literal.[/quote]

It is, if you read it as “There are hundreds of thousands of interesting places…” :doh:

Should take more time reading each word I guess. :slight_smile:

Don’t think that is entirely correct. There has been done a lot over the last two decades to improve and polish tourism attractions, both by the government and by the private sector. Now, those efforts might not all work out that great, maybe it’s a waste of money at times, but you can’t say that “nobody really cares”. Sun Moon Lake has been “polished” a lot for example. Bikeway, shiny new visitor center, a cable car, tourist shuttle bus, etc. I am not saying that Sun Moon Lake has become more attractive because out if, but the efforts can be seen.

Again… are all these attractions in Taiwan worth flying all the way here? Because yes, there are nice things in here (most of them created by mother nature and fucked up by Chinese), and once you are here they are a delight… but are you making all that long way to see things that are not as impressive as many other things around that are more accessible? meh…

Japanese, Korean, Chinese and others have a small island near by that it’s interesting to visit. Good for them. People from other parts of the world would have a hard time looking for a reason for visiting this island.

MM: I’m smart enough to know not to argue with you. :smiley: I guess all the promotional stuff I’ve seen was before even that, butt he mentality among regular people lasted a lot longer. The reason I came to Taiwan for the first time in 2006 is because literally every single Taiwanese person I knew be it an immigrant to California, a teacher, or an exchange student, told me Taiwan was home to “the essence of traditional Chinese culture.” I’m guessing they learned that bit in school and have never been to China to compare… I suppose they are the ones who gave me that impression.

I agree that Taiwanese cultural aspects in no way are inferior to that of other countries. The problem, I think, is how they’re linked… or rather how they’re not. There are lots of really neat things in Taiwan that are worth a visit, but many of them take as much to get to and from as you spend there doing anything. Unlike many other cities in the world, there’s not really a central district in most TWese population centers to do sightseeing; you have to run around between places, and when you get to your destination, there’s usually little there Even some of my favorite places to visit leave you with a sense of “OK, now what.” There is comparitavely little in Taipei (where most people spend the bulk of time) that I would label truly “impressive.” but, of course, if you have a driver and a very knowledgeable tour guide, I think Taiwan could be a great destination for any demographic at all.

I’m drowning in work right now so I may hvae not made my point clear. I can maybe elaborate later.

I love you guys. Forumosa can really be great place!

Objectively speaking, the number of tourists have jumped dramatically since I arrived a decade ago. These visitors are not all from China. Lots of work went into improving transportation links criss-crossing East Asia (example: the links between Songshan–previously domestic flights only–and Tokyo Haneda, Seoul Gimpo, and Shanghai Hongqiao). Yes the HSR is facing perpetually financial challenges (see the other thread for this) but it has revolutionized travel along the west coast–it’s a totally different experience from riding TRA! The tilting trains heading along the east coast have made travel there easier too. They have finally electrified the Hualien-Taidong TRA corridor (good god, why did that take so long) and once they have finally put in double tracks along the entirety of this route transport will improve again.

Yes parts of Taiwan are shockingly ugly. Yes the food scandals do not show the business acumen of Taiwanese in a positive light. And yes the breakneck speed of “development” has knocked down much (but not all) of Taiwan’s varied architectural heritage. But there are some fantastic people here, and some terrific shop keepers, and some stunning scenery. It’s getting easier for visitors to meet them and to see it.

And that’s my two cents!

Guy

I have learned in this thread that it’s only worth going somewhere if it is considered to be one of the best places in the world.

Taiwan only gets a tiny fraction of the western tourism in East Asia and that seems to support this thread that nothing is truly world class. Did anyone expect Taiwan to compete with other countries for tourist numbers?

There is also something to be said having many different things that are really good in a small area. Yes, there is better high mountain hiking but in Taiwan it’s only 3-4 hours from Taipei. And that hiking is not far from the east coast and beaches. And the islands are easily accessible. You could literally list dozens of different types of things that are really good in Taiwan that could be enjoyed in back to back days which really isn’t possible in other countries where you have massive distances to cover.

Nobody should expect Taiwan to be an ‘it’ place to visit in Asia but that doesn’t mean that it’s not a nice vacation.

FWIW - Taiwan is getting some praise as a top bike touring destination from people that have been all over the world. It’s a niche group but it is probably deserved. The roads are in fairly good shape most places and there is an extensive network of 7-11’s and cheap lodging most everywhere even if you are in ‘remote’ areas.

[quote=“Abacus”]
FWIW - Taiwan is getting some praise as a top bike touring destination from people that have been all over the world. It’s a niche group but it is probably deserved. The roads are in fairly good shape most places and there is an extensive network of 7-11’s and cheap lodging most everywhere even if you are in ‘remote’ areas.[/quote]

Beat me to that, Taiwan is actually good for cycling. I know Giant has a rent from one store and return to different store program. Shame the government doesn’t promote that more.

Actually, it really is one of the safest and friendliest countries in Asia to visit. First rate also for hiking, biking and traditional culture, with good services available.

The reason the gov doesn’t promote this is because Chinese tourism is where the money is now, and matches the KMT’s long term objective of merging with China.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“Abacus”]
Nobody should expect Taiwan to be an ‘it’ place to visit in Asia but that doesn’t mean that it’s not a nice vacation.
[/quote]

Actually, it really is one of the safest and friendliest countries in Asia to visit. First rate also for hiking, biking and traditional culture, with good services available.

The reason the gov doesn’t promote this is because Chinese tourism is where the money is now, and matches the KMT’s long term objective of merging with China.[/quote]
Except that it is not, for Taiwan.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“Abacus”]
[/quote]

The reason the gov doesn’t promote this is because Chinese tourism is where the money is now, and matches the KMT’s long term objective of merging with China.[/quote]

I think safe and friendly matches pretty well with my nice vacation description but it doesn’t really make it a must visit. The hiking is really good but if someone’s main objective was hiking then Taiwan wouldn’t be near the top of Asian choices. The great thing about Taiwan is that you can do a very good multi day trek and drive an hour or two to a nice beach the same day that finish the hike. Or visit one of Taiwan’s islands the following day. Or any of the other dozen things that Taiwan is really good at.

I find traditional culture to be disappointing and overrated in Taiwan. Yes, there are some cool festivals but many of them are not really traditional.