Not sure what to call this - limited internet/telephone connections?

Hi, slightly unusual query from me.

Apparently, according to my flatmate, we cant have cable tv or upgrade our internet because the store downstairs is using 3 of the 4 sockets??? We have one socket (which we had to ask them downstairs for) with which we can get internet (very very slow and the cheapest)

I’m not sure how this works here, as in the UK it is very easy to get tv and a decently fast internet connection (if you live in a city)

Somewhat surprised that this situation actually exists.

Have you heard of something like this? The internet company we are with is Changwua Telecom

No-one else been in this situation? Or lived above a store (where the store grabs all the internet points?)

Find it quite bizarre. Should i just chat with the store owners and ask for another connection point? This will leave them with two. I’m not sure who has priority. I guess otherwise i’ll have to find another apartment.

Why not call CHT and ask them?

Think your flatmate is talking out of his sphincter, frankly. For one thing, cable TV is nothing to do with Chunghua telecom. It’s delivered over a different infrastructure and there are different companies selling it.

Is your flatmate Taiwanese? Most likely, he doesn’t want to tell you the real reason and is trying to save face, i.e., lying for no discernible reason.

I’m guessing the real reason is that you share a phone bill with the store downstairs (do you, perhaps, pay them a flat rate each month for phone service?) and they simply don’t want to install new/different services. Or do you have an ethernet cable coming upstairs from the store’s internet router (that is, you have your own phone line but you’re sharing the store’s internet connection)?

If so, all you need to do is go to CHT and ask them to install a new phone line, although you may need the landlord’s permission, and you might have a problem if your apartment is an illegal add-on or doesn’t have a separate address. There’s usually a flat fee of NT$500 IIRC. They’ll sort you out with a respectable ADSL connection (~1Mbps) for about NT$400/month and a small installation fee.

If you have your own separate phone bill anyway, then it’s even easier: just go to the CHT office and ask for ADSL service to be added to your phone package.

Cable TV depends on where you live. Frankly I’ve never bothered, but again it’s the same story: you need to find out who has cable infrastructure to your building (try asking the neighbours), phone them up, and for a small fee they’ll string a bit of co-ax from the nearest junction box through your window. They often have a good value internet+TV package too. Job done!

Funny, that’s exactly what I was thinking.

Better than calling Chunghua, call a private company like this one: bbtv.tw/products/pages/bbtv_ … p?fid=1886

Much better , faster, cheaper, more.

They set you up with a set top box and internet modem through the TV cable.

[quote=“finley”]Think your flatmate is talking out of his sphincter, frankly. For one thing, cable TV is nothing to do with Chunghua telecom. It’s delivered over a different infrastructure and there are different companies selling it.

Is your flatmate Taiwanese? Most likely, he doesn’t want to tell you the real reason and is trying to save face, i.e., lying for no discernible reason.

I’m guessing the real reason is that you share a phone bill with the store downstairs (do you, perhaps, pay them a flat rate each month for phone service?) and they simply don’t want to install new/different services. Or do you have an ethernet cable coming upstairs from the store’s internet router (that is, you have your own phone line but you’re sharing the store’s internet connection)?

If so, all you need to do is go to CHT and ask them to install a new phone line, although you may need the landlord’s permission, and you might have a problem if your apartment is an illegal add-on or doesn’t have a separate address. There’s usually a flat fee of NT$500 IIRC. They’ll sort you out with a respectable ADSL connection (~1Mbps) for about NT$400/month and a small installation fee.

If you have your own separate phone bill anyway, then it’s even easier: just go to the CHT office and ask for ADSL service to be added to your phone package.

Cable TV depends on where you live. Frankly I’ve never bothered, but again it’s the same story: you need to find out who has cable infrastructure to your building (try asking the neighbours), phone them up, and for a small fee they’ll string a bit of co-ax from the nearest junction box through your window. They often have a good value internet+TV package too. Job done![/quote]

Thanks thats helpful :slight_smile:

My flatmate is south african and his gf (who lives here also) is Taiwanese. She told him about the limited amount of available connections thing.

We have our own internet - router plugged into the wall. We dont have a landline telephone. When i had cable tv in Taipei it was plugged into the router as well (hence why i thought need to upgrade internet in some way to get that added)

The internet is not too bad - its when someone else is say streaming a film and i want to stream or download something then its pretty slow.
Here is speedtest results below:

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”][quote=“finley”]
[/quote]

Funny, that’s exactly what I was thinking.

Better than calling Chunghua, call a private company like this one: bbtv.tw/products/pages/bbtv_ … p?fid=1886

Much better , faster, cheaper, more.

They set you up with a set top box and internet modem through the TV cable.[/quote]

Unfortunately i live in Taichung :slight_smile: Looks like they don’t operate in Taichung according to service availability.

[insert preferred sexist comment here]

What’s it plugged into, though? A phone jack, or a network point? If you’re not sure (they look similar) a network plug has 8 pins, a phone plug has 2 (usually with another 2 empty pin positions). If it’s a network point, you are sharing an ADSL connection with the guys downstairs. If it’s a phone point but it’s not yours (ie., you don’t get a separate bill) then this might bugger up the signal quality enough to degrade ADSL performance. Just get your own phone line installed. It costs about $80NT for the monthly rental.

ASDL is delivered over a standard phone line, but on different frequencies. That’s why your phone normally plugs into the router - there’s a little filter inside that “separates” the voice signal from the internet ones. Even if you don’t use a phone, CHT will still charge you for a phone line.

It really boils down to this: do you receive a phone bill addressed to yourselves showing internet service and an (unused) phone line rental, or do you pay money to the store downstairs? If the former, you can do anything you want with it. Just ask CHT for the service you need (and pay accordingly!). They’ll juggle the wiring about if they have to.

TBH you’re maybe expecting too much. That’s pretty normal, and the bottleneck isn’t necessarily your local connection. If it really bothers you, your best bet (as Charlie Phillips said) is to try the cable TV company. That way, you completely bypass whatever weird setup you’ve got with the phones, and they’re often a lot cheaper than CHT (although they do still add a few hundred NT$ to cover the cost of their connection to the CHT backbone, which is unavoidable). Get the GF to find out who the local cable supplier is. I suspect either she or your flatmate just doesn’t want to pay a cable TV subscription, but you could potentially drop CHT and pay a bit less money to the cable company instead.

BBTV: I’m sure there’s an alternative in Taichung.

I wonder what on earth spare sockets have got to do with upgrading your existing Internet plan? Your speed test shows you’re at least getting service equivalent to ADSL1. Which is pretty slow in this day and age.
Maybe the spare sockets have got to do with being able to get an extra phone line (with or without adsl) connected at the property… definitely it’s best if you can hear firsthand what your options are from the service provider!

Hi, i’im gonna try and convince flatmates to get cable tv and cable internet. One other flatmate is keen to have tv as well (atm we have tv but no channels). The speed posted by Charlie for his cable internet looks awesome!

At the end of the day - if they say no - then i’ll find somewhere else to live. My bargaining position hasnt been good because i havent had a job. Got a job now so that increases my influence in the world of flatmate politics haha

I just checked my speed and got what’s below. We pay NT$1049 / month with CHT for internet, phone line and MOD. MOD is much, much better than cable TV, as far as I’m concerned, especially with all the BBC channels on it.

First off it sounds like the thread has sorted out the difference between cable internet/TV and phone line (DSL) internet/TV. These are the two main connection methods offering similar products via different connection methods. It sounds like you are currently using phone line (DSL) but do not have their TV package. i don’t know why you can’t currently get MOD since all you do is run another ethernet cable out of your modem. Unless of course you don’t physically have the modem in your apartment.

How are you connected to the internet? wifi or wired? Is there a wall between your modem (wifi signal) and your computer. I get significantly different connection rates on my tablet depending if I’m in my bedroom or if I’m next to the modem. And the connection speed gets significantly better if I have a wired connection (matching Charlie’s numbers) although at a certain point I’m not sure if it’s possible to use all of it.

Is your connection maxed out on your bill? My old house had an old Chungwa account and instead of increasing the speed everytime they upgraded the speed they instead reduced the bill. It was fast enough according to my roommate so an 200NT each was out of the question.

[quote=“cfimages”]I just checked my speed and got what’s below. We pay NT$1049 / month with CHT for internet, phone line and MOD. MOD is much, much better than cable TV, as far as I’m concerned, especially with all the BBC channels on it.

[/quote]

ok turns out my wifi card on my laptop was dying so i plugged in a network cable and speeds are much better :slight_smile:

hrmm well we pay NT$800 a month for internet only and we get speeds around this,

This is ok, not too bad but should i be looking at better deals? Specifically those folk in Taichung? :smiley:

What speed is your internet connection (it says on your bill)? My connection is 50M/10M and my results at speedtest.net are 40.29M/9.25M.

I’ll have a look when we get next bill in but i reckon it will say 4mb or 5mb down and 1mb up - we have the cheapest option according to my flatmate :slight_smile: