Notarise Rental contract

Hi,

For the 2nd time I want to rent an apartment in Taipei.
As I am not Taiwanese, they request for the 2nd time Notarization after having signed the rental contract. All my colleagues actually have never seen nor done this. Also on http://iff.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1217250&ctNode=34335&mp=iff_en they mention something about notarization.
Besides the money to spent, is this actually normal?

The contract is normal with 2 months deposit, penalty etc. etc.

Br,

I myself have rented 5 different apartments during my time here, in Taoyuan and Hualian, and I’ve never heard of this. Maybe it’s a Taipei thing?

Never had to do that in Taipei.

Sounds like your landlord doesn’t trust you (or non taiwanese in general). Probably wants to make it easier to pursue court action against you if you break the lease.

Go to Tsui mama. Someone there might be able to help clarify things. www.tmm.org.tw

Never heard of notarization of contract of any kind, least of all rental. Since you are starting on a ground of mutual distrust, documenting the whole place would be advisable. Have you checked the premises for weird neighbors or any problems that may make you break contract and run? Can you have the place checked by a handyman for loose wiores or any dangerous stuff?

Talking about legal stuff, ask your landlord if you can deduct the rent from your taxes. To make it truly, completely legal you know.

2 Likes

And the landlord is offering to pay for the notarization, right?

A notarization is usually required for documents that were translated…did you translate the rental contract to English?

Thanks.
Yes, the contract is in English and Chinese. Could that be the reason?

Also for me is protection to be sure English and Chinese is the same.

However I did not hear it from anyone before.

Appartment is new, so should not be a probleme.
Yes, by going to the Notary, at least I can be sure the rent is deductable from my tax. As it will be registered.

Precisely because it is new, that is teh problem: take pictures of everything, maybe a video. Bring along to be “notarized”. When you leave, make sure everything is as it was when you moved in. have witnesses, local witnesses.

Are you sure the tax portion has been discussed, not assumed? Just because it is “registered”, whatever that means, does not count. Registered where and with whom? Most times, landlords especifically write that the contract cannot be used for tax purposes. And add premium if you use it for residency purposes -meaning address on ARC. Be sure this matter is clear between you two.

Thanks for raising all these red flags! Ues I have double checked everything and even made pictures. Even now mentioned in the contract that in case of any hidden issues I can cancel the contract immediately.
Thanks for your help again Icon!

I’m not sure notarization will “prove” that the two language versions are the same. Notarization only proves you are who you say you are when you sign, yes? For most cases, there’s usually language somewhere stating that the Chinese version governs, or there could be. Be aware, though most likely any discrepancies would be from sloppy translation rather than outright trying to cheat you. Anyway I’m optimistic about such things. LOL

1 Like

Iirc for “private documents” the notarization or certification (technically not the same thing) only applies to the signatures.

hi, the have the same thing happenning to me now, the landlord wants to notarize the contract, asking me to find a translator so i can understand everything on the contract, found one who said a minimum of 4000nt, how did you do with your contract?

Every place I’ve rented has been new, never had to do this. For me, it would be a signal that the landlord might be difficult to deal with and I would probably walk away. YMMV…

1 Like

Second squall1’s comments, in 20 years and many apartments neither I nor any one I know has been asked to notarise a rental contract. Is it a huge very high end apartment? If this is a taofang or small apartment with an amateur landlord then run, don’t walk, away and find the next place.

I think it’s her first time doing this and she just wants to protect herself