Notebooks: will they travel?

I’m considering buying a small notebook (asus eee pc or similar) but then I realized if I take it to the UK, I can’t charge it! Or can I?

I would love to carry something small and lightweight that could help me… but the stupid plugs and current are all different…

Is this a problem? Also, where can I buy an English system so I can use my favorite blogging software without problems? LiveWriter and other ones…

Kenneth

[quote]Is this a problem?[/quote]No, use a two-pin adapter.
Maybe you’d like this.

the majority of laptops & electronics these days are “dual voltage” & can handle anything from 100V-240V. Plug adapters are an easy fix.

Yes, I had no problem using my Taiwan-made laptop in Hong Kong, which uses UK standards. Just needed an adapter plug.

Go to one of the smaller computer shops, i.e. not the big 3C shops and they should be able to help you get an English version of the OS installed. Some notebooks come with the option to select the English or Chinese the first time you run them, but it’s a one time choice and can’t be undone so to say.
Just check the power adaptor, as long as it says something like 100-240V, you’re ok, just use a travel adaptor.

[quote]Some notebooks come with the option to select the English or Chinese the first time you run them, but it’s a one time choice and can’t be undone so to say.[/quote]Use linux and you can flip between languages as many times as you want.

Tis fine. I have a Taiwanese bought EeePC and a Mac. They are made to be moved around. You just need an adaptor for the pins. The voltage is fine. Same can not be said for my electric toothbrush, though…