Just to give people some information on what was involved. . . .
- Gus got a new server; Feiren installed Apache and MySQL on it, since it turned out the ISP doesn’t put those packages on the machines.
- Friday evening, Gus put up the webpage saying that the site is down.
- Friday night, I started moving the code and database dump to the new server.
- After not being able to get anything to work, I found that there was a server name resolution problem which had to be fixed.
- That accomplished, I found that PHP wasn’t functioning properly.
- I attempted a clean install of phpBB, and it told me that the version of PHP installed didn’t support the database.
- After a few hours of asking questions, it was determined that some versions of PHP report that they have been compiled with MySQL support even though they aren’t. Installing a different version of PHP fixed the problem.
- I dropped the database and reloaded it with the latest dump from the old server.
- Minor problems cropped up regarding redirection and a version incompatibility with PHP; these took a few more minutes to fix.
- Called Gus, told him it looked ready, and he is in the process of changing the world’s DNS servers to point at the new Forumosa server.
If anyone notices any problems, please contact me, Gus, or Maoman.
[color=blue]Open issue: the subdomain names such as “open.forumosa.com”, “life.forumosa.com”, etc. cannot be tested until DNS for forumosa.com gets updated globally. I haven’t attempted to set this up yet. While it is possible that the magic happens automagically, I am guessing that this is a remaining task.[/color]
[color=green]should be fixed now Bug: replying to PMs brings up an error screen. Temporary workaround: don’t reply, use the “new post” button to send a PM. Sorry, FITNR when my internet connection at my apartment comes back on.[/color]
[color=green]should be fixed now Bug: opening previously-read PMs brings up an error screen. (Oddly, new PMs seem to open ok.) Workaround: none yet.[/color]
MaPoSquid, Forumosa system adminisquidstor