Notes from the move

Just to give people some information on what was involved. . . .

1. Gus got a new server; Feiren installed Apache and MySQL on it, since it turned out the ISP doesn’t put those packages on the machines.
  2. Friday evening, Gus put up the webpage saying that the site is down.
  3. Friday night, I started moving the code and database dump to the new server.
  4. After not being able to get anything to work, I found that there was a server name resolution problem which had to be fixed.
  5. That accomplished, I found that PHP wasn’t functioning properly.
  6. I attempted a clean install of phpBB, and it told me that the version of PHP installed didn’t support the database.
  7. After a few hours of asking questions, it was determined that some versions of PHP report that they have been compiled with MySQL support even though they aren’t. Installing a different version of PHP fixed the problem.
  8. I dropped the database and reloaded it with the latest dump from the old server.
  9. Minor problems cropped up regarding redirection and a version incompatibility with PHP; these took a few more minutes to fix.
  10. Called Gus, told him it looked ready, and he is in the process of changing the world’s DNS servers to point at the new Forumosa server.

If anyone notices any problems, please contact me, Gus, or Maoman.

[color=blue]Open issue: the subdomain names such as “open.forumosa.com”, “life.forumosa.com”, etc. cannot be tested until DNS for forumosa.com gets updated globally. I haven’t attempted to set this up yet. While it is possible that the magic happens automagically, I am guessing that this is a remaining task.[/color]

[color=green]should be fixed now Bug: replying to PMs brings up an error screen. Temporary workaround: don’t reply, use the “new post” button to send a PM. Sorry, FITNR when my internet connection at my apartment comes back on.[/color]

[color=green]should be fixed now Bug: opening previously-read PMs brings up an error screen. (Oddly, new PMs seem to open ok.) Workaround: none yet.[/color]

MaPoSquid, Forumosa system adminisquidstor

Thank you, MaPo! :notworthy: :beer:

Looks good to me… so far so good. And of course, I have no idea what you did.

The Spicy Squid rocks the cyber world!!!

Thanks also to Gus and Feiren.

Well done Squid, and the PM error is to do with the smilies?!?! Great! Now we can just use words instead, like in the good old days.

I’ll leave a red envelope for you at Alleycat’s too.

It’s a very nice move MaPoSquid. Excellent show :thumbsup:

I suppose it has to do with the renaming, and I suppose you knwo about it, but no links to other Forumosa pages in people’s messages work. Neither do the ‘Rules’ or ‘Donor’ links at the top of the page or any of the bottom of page links. (A page with ‘No input file specified’).

Speed seems fine.

Good job lads.

(Just got an ‘Invalid session’ trying to post this though - first one in a while for me)

Brian

Brian,
I’m sending you a PM as a test. Please send me one in return.

Most of the banners don’t work.

Got another bloody ‘invalid session’.

Brian,
I received but couldn’t open your PM, the error message indicated that there was a problem with the emoticons. Perhaps try another PM without any emoticons. Cheers.

Anarchy! :smiling_imp:

Couldn’t open Almas’ PM. Got this message instead

[quote]Couldn’t retrieve smilies list

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax near ‘’ at line 4

SELECT emoticon, code, smile_url FROM smilies GROUP BY smile_url ORDER BY smilies_id LIMIT

Line : 168
File : /var/www/taiwan/includes/ropm_quick_reply.php[/quote]

PS, I’m getting ‘invalid session’ messages almost every time I try and post now (although it was fine an hour ago). And everytime I get an ‘invalid session’ it resets my ‘new posts’.

In fact it’s taken me 4 tries so far to post this message. Going back, refreshing. I’ll try ‘quick reply’.

No emoticons in the PM - I got the same messgae from you Almas.

Quick reply doesn’t work for me either. I can’t bloody get past these 'invalid sessions and make this post.

5th attempt.

Brian

Phew! Finally got that last post through. You might have a few bugs to iron out guys.

Not for me or Almas.

My ‘testiing’ doen on Forefox btw.

G’night.

Brian

Thanks Brian.
Sounds bloody frustrating. I haven’t had any problem reading or making posts.

Woohoo! :beer:

Hmmm… I was required to login again in order to post this.

Sounds like a busy weekend, MaPoSquid. Thanks for all the hard work, and thanks to Gus and Feiren as well.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I suppose it has to do with the renaming, and I suppose you knwo about it, but no links to other Forumosa pages in people’s messages work. Neither do the ‘Rules’ or ‘Donor’ links at the top of the page or any of the bottom of page links. (A page with ‘No input file specified’).[/quote]That’s presumably because we’re using the temporary address of 66.139.73.203. Should be OK when the forumosa.com domain name is properly up again. In the meantime if there’s a link you need to follow, you can manually paste in “66.139.73.203” in place of the “forumosa.com”, leaving the rest of the link in place. For example,
change forumosa.com/taiwan/rules.php to
66.139.73.203/taiwan/rules.php

I noticed that my “Sentbox” was empty. Prior to the move it was >50% full. Not that it matters to me, but FYI.

In my inbox, posts from users whose accounts are no longer active (one due to banning, one presumably due to inactivity) are now displayed as being by “Anonymous”. Before the move, the members’ names were displayed, but in ordinary non-clickable text.

This isn’t a major problem, just wonder if this info can help iron out any bugs.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I suppose it has to do with the renaming, and I suppose you knwo about it, but no links to other Forumosa pages in people’s messages work. Neither do the ‘Rules’ or ‘Donor’ links at the top of the page or any of the bottom of page links. (A page with ‘No input file specified’).

Speed seems fine.

Good job lads.

(Just got an ‘Invalid session’ trying to post this though - first one in a while for me)

Brian[/quote]
The “links don’t work” problem is almost certainly because DNS doesn’t know that this is “forumosa.com” yet. You will probably notice that the URL you are going to has the IP address of the new server in it, not “forumosa.com”. This is because DNS takes a while to propagate, and Gus and I (and presumably Maoman too) wanted to get the system up ASAP, not wait another day to three days.

The problem should go away once DNS starts working and people stop using the bare IP address. You should NOT put the bare IP address in any links you make in posts, since it could change again at some time (another move, or if the new ISP has to reorganize their machines, or sunspots, or …).

The “invalid session” errors probably aren’t triggered by this move. I get them all the time at work, and they have something to do with the firewall that the company uses. If you are behind a firewall, it may not like the new server. If you have further information or can see a pattern, let me know, as I would like to come up with a fix for work for myself, too.

PMs should be working again. I don’t know what happened to the configuration file to stop them; they were working when I first tried them.

M.