Notes from the Other China, a new book

Yeah, I think we have a thread on that here somewhere.

I guess if there’s a thread already, people should post comments there, but anyway - here’s the link.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

I’ve finished the book and can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s an entertaining, informative and amusing read, much in the same vein as Almas John’s work. I can’t for the life of me understand why Bradley Winterton should have reacted to it as he did, especially considering the positive review he gave to Almas’s book, and I’d take issue with almost everything he wrote.

I do disagree with some of the bits about Taiwan in the middle of the book, particularly what you wrote about all of Taiwan’s rivers and streams being terribly polluted. That is obviously true for sections of rivers in and downstream from urban areas, but still leaves hundreds of others that are as pristine and lovely as any anywhere else in the world - including a dozen or more within an hour’s drive of Taipei that I swim in very often and are one of the things I like best about Taiwan. So it is perfectly reasonable for the government to be printing pamphlets promoting this aspect of Taiwan as a tourist attraction, and your ridiculing of it was woefully unjustified.

Apart from that, a weak ending, and the need for a bit more careful editing to clean up the sprinkling of typos and grammatical errors, I thought it was a highly commendable effort for a first book. I like your descriptive prose, which is vivid and colourful without being pretentious. I’d warmly recommend the book to anyone who might be interested in a foreigner’s view of what it’s like to live and travel in the countries covered, and I’m sure it could be of much value to people planning first-time visits to those countries, especially Nepal and Vietnam.

Ed - Sounds like you are spot on with your Korean desriptions. I like Korea, the people, the country and its ‘liveliness’. But I am not one to fantasize about them. They are the ‘red necks’ of Asia. Always have been.
Soju is cheap moonshine for them. Tough nuts though - have to give them that. They live in a hard place and it makes 'em that way. The women as well.
And most Koreans have a great sense of humor and loyalty to friends.

I’ve long said - “Get an army of Korean women and one could conquer the world.”

Would that be before the eyes, nose and boob job, and wearing or not wearing Prada? :slight_smile:

Would that be before the eyes, nose and boob job, and wearing or not wearing Prada? :slight_smile:[/quote]

I think TainanCowboy is referring to the tough 'ole ajumas and not the “soft” Generation X and Y women.

Well, thanks for those compliments. The ending is weak, I realize. I’ve made a note to finish much more strongly in the future.

About the rivers - and admittedly, I’m no expert on the subject - the government was advertising the rivers of Taipei not the rivers of Taiwan. A picture in the magazine (or on the cover) was of whatever river it is that flows through Tianmu (not far from Veteran’s hospital). I used to live near there and the river certainly never looked clean, and I remember that it didn’t look clean in the pics either. I also read some environmental reports on soil and water pollution in Taiwan, and they were pretty frightening. But sure, perhaps there are clean rivers like the ones you go swimming in. I’m only going by what I’ve seen and what I’ve read. And I haven’t seen all that many, to be honest.

But, really, thanks for your comments and I’m really glad that you liked it for the most part. Will try to do better next time. And, yeah, speaking as objectively as I can, I can’t imagine what prompted such a blasting either. I mean, as I’ve said, I’m quite certain he fabricated bits of that review, e.g. re Taiwanese friendliness and about “sardonic treatments” of Japan and the Philippines.

In my ten years here, I’ve had a serious serious falling out with approximately five people, and I’ve actually wondered if he doesn’t know one of them. Although, the chances of that being the case are rather small, I still have to wonder if there isn’t something else at work here.

Re Korean women, I agree. I suppose it didn’t hurt that were generally hot as blazes, but almost all of the friends I made there were female. They seemed so much more normal (not to mention sober) than the men, who were (generally speaking, of course) all too often extremely insecure, obtuse, chauvanistic, racist, etc., etc.

And yes, soju is a serious social problem. A bottle of the good stuff used to cost three bucks for god’s sake.

But, certainly, they are a very spirited and hearty bunch, and there’s something to be said for that. I guess.

I’m at the Nepal chapter, and I’ve found the book’s prose has improved since the beginning. Very interesting stories, especially the parts outside of Taiwan.

I like the bit about Annette Lu - she richly deserves the criticism she is due.

Thank ya. Thank ya.

So you don’t think it constitutes “hostility” or “an assault on Asian values”?

[quote=“Ed Lakewood”]Thank ya. Thank ya.

So you don’t think it constitutes “hostility” or “an assault on Asian values”?[/quote]

No, I didn’t get any such impression.

Right, well thanks, and any criticisms are certainly welcome.

It’s interesting - for me - to see how readers respond to it. There have been only a few consisitent comments, e.g. it was somewhat disjointed, the ending was abrupt or not very well thought out, it was funny but a little bit too biting (or sardonic, or dark as a handful have said) … But besides that, everyone’s interpretation has been considerably, if not wildly, dissimilar. It’s just very intriguing to watch the array of responses, even if it’s not climbing the NY Times bestseller list.

Things are getting interesting with the Taipei Times. A decision is going to be reached by Feb. 23rd, I believe, as to whether the review will be removed or not. Like I said - it’s interesting. I figure either this will quickly be over or it will get very ugly. Of course, I’m hoping for the former but am preparing for the latter.

Well, in case anyone was interested…

Cheers,

Ed

I have a question.

So far, in my negotiations with the Taipei Times, I’ve been dealing with the features section editor. Is there someone else I should be talking to? To be honest, I don’t know all that much how newspapers operate.

Ed

Ok, it was tough, but I finally finished the book. Sorry, Ed, but I didn’t like it. The book is full of mistakes and awkwardly lengthy sentences that a good editor should have dealt with before publication. It reads like a collection of disjointed blog-like entries, most of which have little to do with Taiwan, no connecting theme and error-ridden backgrounds thrown in. Basically, if you’re interested in reading interesting, thought-provoking literature about Taiwan, I feel there are better choices available.

Sorry, but you asked.

I may not know much of the man indeed but James Clavell hooked me onto Asia. He really did point out a lot of Asia’s faults and love affairs. The modern day writer is full of angst and ridden with self righteousness.

Meh…carry on.

Well, Poagao, I do hope no one has ever been or will ever be so scathing about Counting Mantou, your photography, your film-making, or your performances with the Muddy Basin Ramblers.

Personally, I’ve always believed in giving praise and encouragement if I can do so without being dishonest, and refraining from disparaging people’s best efforts where I possibly can.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]Well, Poagao, I do hope no one has ever been or will ever be so scathing about Counting Mantou, your photography, your film-making, or your performances with the Muddy Basin Ramblers.

Personally, I’ve always believed in giving praise and encouragement if I can do so without being dishonest, and refraining from disparaging people’s best efforts where I possibly can.[/quote]

I’ve been told I couldn’t write myself out of a paper bag, that my photos are crap, that my film making is laughably amateur, and I’ll be the first to say that I’m not anywhere close to a top-level musician, but in the cases where it’s their honest opinion, it’s fine with me. Criticism is part of the game. Ed sent me a free copy specifically to review, and I was bound to do so in an honest fashion.

[quote=“Poagao”][quote=“Omniloquacious”]Well, Poagao, I do hope no one has ever been or will ever be so scathing about Counting Mantou, your photography, your film-making, or your performances with the Muddy Basin Ramblers.

Personally, I’ve always believed in giving praise and encouragement if I can do so without being dishonest, and refraining from disparaging people’s best efforts where I possibly can.[/quote]

I’ve been told I couldn’t write myself out of a paper bag, that my photos are crap, that my film making is laughably amateur, and I’ll be the first to say that I’m not anywhere close to a top-level musician, but in the cases where it’s their honest opinion, it’s fine with me. Criticism is part of the game. Ed sent me a free copy specifically to review, and I was bound to do so in an honest fashion.[/quote]

I’ve read parts of your book (the sections that you put online a while back) and thoroughly enjoyed the chapters (especially about the first day of military duty). Just out of curiousity, who said you couldn’t write yourself out of a paper bag?

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Poagao”][quote=“Omniloquacious”]Well, Poagao, I do hope no one has ever been or will ever be so scathing about Counting Mantou, your photography, your film-making, or your performances with the Muddy Basin Ramblers.

I’ve been told I couldn’t write myself out of a paper bag, that my photos are crap, that my film making is laughably amateur, and I’ll be the first to say that I’m not anywhere close to a top-level musician, but in the cases where it’s their honest opinion, it’s fine with me. Criticism is part of the game. Ed sent me a free copy specifically to review, and I was bound to do so in an honest fashion.[/quote]

I’ve read parts of your book (the sections that you put online a while back) and thoroughly enjoyed the chapters (especially about the first day of military duty). Just out of curiousity, who said you couldn’t write yourself out of a paper bag?[/quote]

A co-worker at a local paper where I was working, years ago.

Well,

About the date of Lee Teng-hui’s inauguration and the comment about Hong Kong, you’re absolutely right. I am not oblivious, as you put it, to the latter - it was just a stupid slip up. I have been to Hong Kong, have read about its history, am familar with what it was, has been, and is, but it was just a dumb error, the kind that made me want to kick myself.

As for having trouble with your address, I can read Chinese fairly well. I cannot write Chinese to save my life, however. Not that that really has anything to do with anything, mind you, but there you have it.

Sorry you didn’t like it and thanks for the thoughtful response.

Cheers,

Ed