Notice

After being abruptly let go from my school…

I’ve been thinking maybe I should put the squeeze on for some money. :rainbow:
I was given Less than 24 hours notice. I was there 2 years.

Is there a law in Taiwan that says you get 2 weeks or anything like that?

And

Where are the laws written about this sort of thing? :

You were fired, made redundant or your contract expired?
I got a month’s salary for each year of service when I was made redundant, even though I was a contract worker with an annually renewable contract. Had to take the company to CLA arbitration to get it, though.
Don’t know how it works for teachers.

The Council of Labor Affairs’ website has an English translation of the Labor Standards Act. I don’t know how accurate the translation is, or whether it’s completely up-to-date.

Note: For some reason (maybe it’s just my incompetence with computers), when I clicked the blue “Labor Standards Act” link, I got a page that began with Article 30 (i.e., didn’t include Articles numbered lower than 30). Then I had to click the purplish/maroonish “Labor Standards Act” link; then, a page appeared with gray, rectangular buttons. Then, I clicked the gray button on the far left, the one that says “Article Content,” and the whole Act appeared.

Article 11 says under what circumstances a worker’s labor contract can be terminated with notice.
Article 12 says under what circumstances a worker’s labor contract can be terminated without notice.
Article 13 tells when and how a worker’s labor contract can be terminated while the worker’s not working because of medical treatment or maternity leave.
Article 14 requires notice for terminations under Articles 11 and 13, and prescribes the number of days’ notice required, based on how long the worker has worked at that job.

Hope this helps.
xp+10K

You da man!

Article 16 Where an employer terminates a labor contract pursuant to Article 11 or the exception in Article 13, the stipulations described below shall govern the minimum period of advance notice:
1. Where a worker has worked continuously for more than three months but less than one year, the notice shall be given ten days in advance.
2. Where a worker has worked continuously for more than one year but less than three years, the notice shall be given twenty days in advance.

I guess that means she owes me 20 days pay!?

[quote]You were fired, made redundant or your contract expired?
I got a month’s salary for each year of service when I was made redundant, even though I was a contract worker with an annually renewable contract. Had to take the company to CLA arbitration to get it, though.
Don’t know how it works for teachers.[/quote]

How do I contact CLA arbitration?

That’s the way it looks to me,

[quote]But just because I might be standing here
That don’t mean I won’t be wrong this time [/quote]
–James Taylor, “Lighthouse”

Edit:

I don’t know the exact process, but here’s an address and some phone numbers (I can’t guarantee the phone numbers):

Council of Labor Affairs (CLA)
9F, 83 Yenping N. Rd., Sec. 2, Taipei
Tel: (02) 8590-2866
Fax: (02) 8590-2850

Kaohsiung CLA phone no.: (02) 8770-1866 ; toll-free English no. (Kaohsiung): 0800-885-885

Tealit has a page that, while it deals with fines and deposits, discusses CLA arbitration: tealit.com/fines.deposits.eng-chn.htm

For the following, for caution’s sake, assume I don’t know what I’m talking about, and then, if any of it seems applicable, you can use it as a basis for your own investigations, if you like:

You didn’t mention whether you had a written contract. I don’t know what the situation would be if you didn’t. For example, where I’m from (Louisiana), not all contracts have to be written. This is also true elsewhere in the US (but obviously, spoken contracts are harder to prove). Don’t know about Taiwan.

If you went through a Work Permit/ARC process, I think that somewhere in that process, the employer has to affirm in writing their intention of employing the person for whom they’re seeking the ARC. Not sure if that would serve as well as a contract.

Hope this helps, or at least that it doesn’t cause any harm.
xp+10K

Does the LSA apply to teachers at buxibans?

[quote]Contracts between employers and employees in Taiwan are governed by the Labor Standards Act. By order of the Council of Labor Affairs, Executive Yuan in 1998, in the Labor Standards Act, Article 3, contracts between Foreign Teachers