Now I've rescued a stray FISH

What should Juba do with the catfish?

• Kill it and eat it, while saying “amitabha” many times to put right the bad Karma.
  • Give it to someone else who is not a vegetarian.
  • Release it in the Danshui River.
  • Release it in the tiny pond in the neighborhood park that has a sign saying “do not release animals here.”
  • Put it back on the sidewalk, where it will die, but it was going to die anyway.
  • Other (please make your suggestion in a post.)

0 voters

Yes indeed. Just coming home after taking Feifei and An’an for a walk and there on the sidewalk I find…a live catfish! There it was flopping around on the pavement and nobody around at all. (This is about 1 a.m.) So I brought it upstairs and now it’s swimming around in the bathtub. The fish is quite big. Anything smaller than a bathtub will be too small for it. Another problem is that the plug for the bathtub is missing, so I’ve just stuffed a rag in the plughole, and the water is leaking out slowly. I can’t kill it an eat it because I’m a gentle vegetarian, so what the hell am I going to do with it?

The Danshui River is not far away but I’m afraid the fish would be killed by the pollution if I put it in there. Are catfish fresh-water or salt-water fish anyway?

Have you asked it to grant you any wishes yet? :slight_smile:

If that doesn’t work, there are two possibilities:

• it fell from the sky as a sign from God that vegetarianism is against nature and, much as a fish naturally belongs in water, humans naturally kill & eat everything around us, so you should repent your heathen ways and start heatin’ up the frying pan! :smiling_imp:

OR

• the late night fishmonger hit a pothole on his way home & your gill’ed friend was doomed to begin with. Dumping it in the river from whence it likely came seems the best solution, unless there’s a hungry homeless guy nearby who might enjoy it. Local pond is bad in case it happens to be carrying a load of fertilized eggs or some such that would ruin the local eco-balance, … If it hasn’t already died in your bathtub, I’d say head toward what you think is the freshwater area of the river (it’s gotta start somewhere) :slight_smile:

It could also have gotten too big for it’s tank and the owner dumped it off the balcony. You get some pretty vicious catfish so I wouldn’t dump it in any public waterways.

Also, there are thousands (millions?) of species of catfish so without a pic it’s impossible to ID it. My tanks are all full or I’d maybe have been able to help out…

Your solution for the fish

Probably freshwater. It may die for other reasons, but I don’t think the river pollution alone should kill it. I ride my bike by the river most mornings and there’s usually a very strong, foul stench and lots of nasty scum pouring out of the drain pipes into the river and a rainbow hue of oil on the surface, but hundreds of fish can always be seen gathered around those pipes wallowing in the filth, along with the abundant turtles, heron, egrets and other wildlife, something I found so odd that I started a threat about it before.

So, I voted for dump it in the river.

Get it one of these helmets, man.

And check that it hasn’t been chipped. Somebody might be missing it.

[quote=“sandman”]And check that it hasn’t been chipped. Somebody might be missing it.
[i[/quote] bastard for posting that pic…now im salivating and homesick at the same time

Yea, that looks delish. Anywhere one can get something like that in Taipei?

Well, I know someone with a fish, and Irishstu’'s sure to have a connection with a potatoe . . .

HG

Carnage. But it won’t come wrapped in newspaper.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Well, I know someone with a fish, and Irishstu’'s sure to have a connection with a potatoe . . .

HG[/quote]

Who taught you to spell? Dan Quayle?

catfish are a bit like eels in that they occasionally leave the water in one place and wriggle across land to get to another patch of water. helpful if you’re stuck in a drying reach of river, or a pond that shrinks too far.

maybe the guy was just going for a walk? off to buy another pack of smokes?

Pot Pie Cafe (on Fushing S. Rd near Heping E.) has fish 'n chips but I haven’t had it yet. I did try their shepards pie and it was pretty good, but not amazing. The also have cottage pie, chicken and mushroom, etc…

I freed a whole pail full the other day. I kicked them into the Dan Shui running by a fisherman the other day.

Funny post H.G.!

Pot Pie Cafe (on Fuxing S. Rd near Heping E.) has fish 'n chips but I haven’t had it yet. I did try their shepards pie and it was pretty good, but not amazing. The also have cottage pie, chicken and mushroom, etc…[/quote]

Resident F&C aficionado the chieflette has made me take her there twice now.
They give you a good portion, with big fat fuckoff chips.
C’s gives you one HUGE piece of fish, these guys give you 3 normal size, about the same amount of food, I reckon, she sure likes it, and at $250 for the meal, it’s less than half the price.
And deffo better than the pies, which certainly never blew no wind up my skirt.
That catfish, you want to dredge it in half and half cornmeal and white flour before frying it up.
Good with hot sauce and root beer.

Catfish are pretty hardy folk. They can survive for months in thick mud and live a long time out of water (it’s the dehydration of their skin that kills them before suffocation). Dumping it in the Danshui river is unlikely to kill it, and it’s highly unlikely that it’s a fertilzed female, so its doubtful that it’s going to cause an ecological imbalance in those pristine waters.

Oh yeah, save the head for gumbo.

Take the chieflette to Glasgow. It is the alpha and omega of the fish supper.

Juba, try and release him somewhere. He’s prolly pining for the open… whatever.

btw, I suscribe to the quantity theory of vegetarianism. I just consider the odds of eating my father are higher with moules mariniere than with a cow.

I have begun jogging on one of those treadmill deals about three times a week. Last time out I realized that I can run about three kilometers without breathing. It’s incredible.