Now I've rescued a stray FISH

How come Sandman is allowed to post chips, but he bans me when I do the same?

face it, bob: you’re a cathuman.

I found the bathtub plug so fishy has a few inches of water to swim around in, but not for long, I fear. My girlfriend says catfish are very “bu” (tonifying) for women, and her friend the stage director who used to be a chef at a Chinese restaurant in France says he can knock the fish off relatively humanely after giving it some wine to drink and make it into something tasty. So I guess its fate is sealed unless the Animal Liberation Front mounts a rescue mission within the next 20 hours or so.

Pity, it’s quite cute in a cold and slimy sort of way.

Ah yes. I wondered why it was still alive. The fins look like they could function like legs to some extent. Evolutionarily it looks kind of pre-lungfish. No way could it have walked from any river to where I found it, though.

Now I can hear fishy thrashing around in the bathtub. Maybe it overheard someone saying what a wonderful tasty tonic it would be and now it’s trying to escape.

I think it’s one of these: walking catfish (Clarias batrachus)
Native to south and south-east Asia, but an unwelcome guest in Florida, it seems. My ex-chef friend tells me they are not native to Taiwan but are farmed here. They are good to eat to regain strength after an illness or operation, he says.

Catfish ‘walk’ down street
Catfish walking on land (short video clip)

If they’re not native to Taiwan, couldn’t it be really bad to release it in a river? Just name it Meatloaf and eat it. If you’re lucky it just came from Springfield and you’ll be left with a nice little radioactive glow.

I came home from work tonight and the bathtub is empty. The wife (common law) tells me fishy is in the fridge already. I can’t bring myself to look.

Kept in a small slimy bathtub for a few days while awaiting a long cold rest in the fridge. It would have been much better off if you had left it to strangle slowly on the street.

NO NO, by all means since it was farmed go ahead and eat it. Since you got a chef who knows what to do?

you should take pics of it when its ready to eat… actually i am allergic to seafood but it would be interesting to see how big it was…

Asian Walking Deathfish! Asian Walking Deathfish!
And mix a little cayenne pepper into the chief’s cornmeal/flour dredging mix. And dip the fish into a little gently beaten egg before you dredge it. Make sure your skillet’s good and hot.

Juba

IN a weird way this story is both sad and yet glorious.

I mean from the Fish’ perspective obviously not a great tale. Dumped on sidewalk, rescued, given wine, eaten.

But from your Taiwanese kudos perspective you are now a hunter/gatherer who brought home the fish supper for your lady - Jia You my friend! :notworthy:

Well if it was farmed it wasnt all that nice down at the mudhole either i bet. Its not like it was in sun moon lake. And yes if its not native to TAiwan, releasing it would be wrong.

Im sure the bathtub wasnt all that bad compared to the mudhole. And the big chill in the fridge probably was pretty ""chill “” way for it to go. Cooled to death may be preferable to being burned to death.

But maybe a wack across the forehead with a big stick may work better?

At any rate, cook it up and tel us how it was.

Before you bludgeon it to death, put it in the bottom of a bucket, stand over it looking down, and go
“It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the fridge again…IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN OR IT GETS THE FRIDGE AGAIN!!!”
Trust me, it’ll crack you up…

And don’t forget the root beer.

[quote=“sandman”]Asian Walking Deathfish! Asian Walking Deathfish!
And mix a little cayenne pepper into the chief’s cornmeal/flour dredging mix. And dip the fish into a little gently beaten egg before you dredge it. Make sure your skillet’s good and hot.[/quote]

HAPPY HOUR!!!

Urrgh! Don’t eat the bottom feeders.

Poor thighy.

Peace to his…leftovers?

any updates on the fish ~ dish situation?

Amitabha, Fishy is now divided among a number of people’s digestive tracts, along with a lot of shanyao, rice wine and ginger. I thought there would be wolfberries in the soup, but apparently there weren’t any in the kitchen.

Amitabha, Fishy is now divided among a number of people’s digestive tracts, along with a lot of shanyao, rice wine and ginger. I thought there would be wolfberries in the soup, but apparently there weren’t any in the kitchen.[/quote]

Well was it good??

:slight_smile: