Now my neighborhood is gone

[quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Thyrdrail, your pictures are not representative of Taiwan and Taiwan’s cities in general. Also, they are villas which would cost millions of USD upwards, especially in Taipei.
There are some nice places being built, mainly outside Taipei due to lower land cost.[/quote]

so they are expensive? the point is they still exist in Taiwan. we are not talking price here. that is beside the point.[/quote]

Then the next question, Thyrail, would be: are they worth it? Are they safe, healthy buildings? Do they promote healthy living? Will their value increase or will they crumble like week-old bread? That is our fear, as we’ve seen the boom before 921, and that terrible cathastrophe unveiled the worst consequence of the construction madness: cutting corners.
(teh builings that were most damaged coincidentally were teh ones where construction no-nos had been willfully commited). Did you see today’s picture of MRT “ecological fillings” on page 2, Taipei Times? That kind of thing. Have we seen that on buildings? Oh, yeah. Ask the people who were living happily in their 30 year old gongwu, when the new building next door started to lean over them. Seems the permit was for 7 stories and they were already in floor 11th… The problem is that the people in the old gongwu lost their property, their possessions, and the building companies just play Houdini. If we could trust in more oversight, more control, we wouldn’t be whining. But money rules…

And on a lighter note, don’t get me started on the decor on some of those high end places. I’ve been inside some in the posh sections of town which, to tell you the truth, gave me the jeebie-jeebies. And then they say it is the latest fashion in the West…

ps.
this old toad is not very mature, just old, but I appreciate your comment, too.

[quote=“divea”][quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Thyrdrail, your pictures are not representative of Taiwan and Taiwan’s cities in general. Also, they are villas which would cost millions of USD upwards, especially in Taipei.
There are some nice places being built, mainly outside Taipei due to lower land cost.[/quote]

so they are expensive? the point is they still exist in Taiwan. we are not talking price here. that is beside the point.[/quote]
Aren’t we talking of affordable decent housing space in this thread???[/quote]

no that was never an issue in my posts. all i said was that some of the new residential complexes they’re building in taiwan are “nice” and i posted up pictures. then you all went on a friggin’ rampage against me. sheesh. i have friends and family who own houses/apartments in taiwan and have owned them for years. they’re beautiful, they’re in nice neighborhoods, they’re well maintained, they dont “block up their balconies, put up bird cages on windows” or pigeon coops on the roofs, or alter the exterior in any way, shape or form. they know how to tastefully landscape the yard and decorate the interior. i can post you pictures to show you but why bother? you’ll just go on your typical foreign extremely cynical and bitter rampage again and counter argue me. you guys have to quit these generalizations and not assume ALL the housing, especially the new housing, is of poor quality thus apt to fall apart in the next small earthquake and all taiwanese will screw up their houses, environments and neighborhoods, etc. BECAUSE THEY’RE ALL NOT AND THEY ALL DONT!!! thats all im saying.

[quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“divea”][quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Thyrdrail, your pictures are not representative of Taiwan and Taiwan’s cities in general. Also, they are villas which would cost millions of USD upwards, especially in Taipei.

no that was never an issue in my posts. all I said was that some of the new residential complexes they’re building in taiwan are “nice” and i posted up pictures. then you all went on a friggin’ rampage against me. sheesh. I have friends and family who own houses/apartments in taiwan and have owned them for years. they’re beautiful, they’re in nice neighborhoods, they’re well maintained, they dont “block up their balconies, put up bird cages on windows” or pigeon coops on the roofs, or alter the exterior in any way, shape or form. they know how to tastefully landscape the yard and decorate the interior. i can post you pictures to show you but why bother? you’ll just go on your typical foreign extremely cynical and bitter rampage again and counter argue me. you guys have to quit these generalizations and not assume ALL the housing, especially the new housing, is of poor quality thus apt to fall apart in the next small earthquake and all taiwanese will screw up their houses, environments and neighborhoods, etc. BECAUSE THEY’RE ALL NOT AND THEY ALL DONT!!! thats all im saying.[/quote]

:loco: persecution complex??? Ofcourse there are mansions in Taiwan, but over here a single woman with a modest income and a few pets is sorry that her neighbourhood is being broken down to make ‘nice’ buildings which she CANNOT afford.

[quote=“divea”][quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“divea”][quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Thyrdrail, your pictures are not representative of Taiwan and Taiwan’s cities in general. Also, they are villas which would cost millions of USD upwards, especially in Taipei.

no that was never an issue in my posts. all I said was that some of the new residential complexes they’re building in taiwan are “nice” and i posted up pictures. then you all went on a friggin’ rampage against me. sheesh. I have friends and family who own houses/apartments in taiwan and have owned them for years. they’re beautiful, they’re in nice neighborhoods, they’re well maintained, they dont “block up their balconies, put up bird cages on windows” or pigeon coops on the roofs, or alter the exterior in any way, shape or form. they know how to tastefully landscape the yard and decorate the interior. i can post you pictures to show you but why bother? you’ll just go on your typical foreign extremely cynical and bitter rampage again and counter argue me. you guys have to quit these generalizations and not assume ALL the housing, especially the new housing, is of poor quality thus apt to fall apart in the next small earthquake and all taiwanese will screw up their houses, environments and neighborhoods, etc. BECAUSE THEY’RE ALL NOT AND THEY ALL DONT!!! thats all im saying.[/quote]

:loco: persecution complex??? Ofcourse there are mansions in Taiwan, but over here a single woman with a modest income and a few pets is sorry that her neighbourhood is being broken down to make ‘nice’ buildings which she CANNOT afford.[/quote]

well sucks for you!! have you considered a career change or getting a sugar daddy/mommy?

peace out!

[quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“divea”][quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“divea”][quote=“thyrdrail”][quote=“headhonchoII”]Thyrdrail, your pictures are not representative of Taiwan and Taiwan’s cities in general. Also, they are villas which would cost millions of USD upwards, especially in Taipei.

:loco: persecution complex??? Ofcourse there are mansions in Taiwan, but over here a single woman with a modest income and a few pets is sorry that her neighbourhood is being broken down to make ‘nice’ buildings which she CANNOT afford.[/quote]

well sucks for you!! have you considered a career change or getting a sugar daddy/mommy?[/quote]
illiterate are we??