Nuclear Power Debate

Yeah cause that’s EXACTLY how they are built. :rofl:

Meanwhile back on planet earth:

Guy

What could be more irresponsible than shutting down your nuclear reactors before wind and solar are developed, you have frequent power outages, and nuclear comprises 13% of your energy needs, and you have a big angry neighbor with nukes next door?

Ideological stupidity cuts in both directions.

What could be dumber[?]

Here’s an option: maybe continuing down the same old-school nuclear developmentalist path when there is NO WHERE to store the used fuel rods, and no clear plan to find a storage space, and when Taipower and the government continue to target Indigenous communities as potential dumping grounds for the low level nuclear waste, causing predictable furious responses? The top-down racist methods of dictatorship-era planning could do this without blinking. In the democratic era, this kind of racist planning is a political hot potato, and rightfully so.

And: March 11, 2011. Perhaps you were not in the neighbourhood when that happened.

Cheers,
Guy

32N164W

You’re welcome.

Taiwan has a competitive advantage in installing solar panels on rooftops. Its buildings are already ugly. No marginal aesthetic loss.

5 Likes

Uh, let’s see… How about letting corruption and ineptitude go rampant while building a nuclear plant with an older design, rendering it deemed unsafe by experts, then 10 years later still insisting to put the plant into operation?

1 Like

Haha, ya. Theres also the sun and financial benefits :slight_smile:

Maybe just massive government subsidies so solar panels cost only as much as those sheet metal roof panels provided they’re connected to the grid. I guarantee everyone will build rooftop apartments with them. At least they would contribute to power.

There are some. I would think though that factories, warehouses, logistics buildings, factory farms etc would.be the startin push.

They are rich.

They have large flat metal rooftops that are insanely easy to install

Few excuses cept lack of giving a shit.

Residential housing isnt where the change would happen, but its welcome all the same.

1 Like

Most of the factories near me already have them installed.

2 Likes

Thats awesome, hopefully that trend will spread more.

More like an aesthetic gain… have you seen them rooftops here? fugly!

1 Like

Just change the rooftops remove the dirty grills and do a paint job - many quaint areas of Taipei will look similar to Greece villages.

1 Like

Who is going to pay for solar and beautification of the buildings here? From what I’ve seen property owners want to spend as little as possible. Anything above $0 is too much.

Come to think of it if I had to guess, the $ amount of deferred maintenance here is the highest of any developed or semi developed country I’ve been to.

Again,t he real change will come from companies. They have more incentive to do so. Houses are not a priority in taiwan for most aside from just owning them.

Ps. taipei needs more than coat of paint to start looking decent…

1 Like

White paint and light concrete to reflect more radiation back to space. White roofs back reflect on the panels making them more efficient on cloudy days.

California requires light roofs and solar panels on new buildings now AFAIK. On average, I think they use at least 30% less energy than other Americans.

1 Like

I was only being cheeky about aesthetics. But yes, every botanist totally agrees with your point. The increases may be small, but a net positive to.be absolutely sure.

Im not sure about the california thing though. They seem pretty fucked and ass backwards half the time. Good ideas, horrible outcomes. But i support when they use their large populations weight to influence companies to change. God knows biden/trump/obama/bush/etc wont to fuck all meanignful. i only go there for vacations, will leave it at that.

Taiwan however is just the right level of fair, corrupt and rich to make things happen ultra fast. Just needs a motivation. Which is sadly still in 2nd gear. Probbaly also need some intelligent (unbias) consultants. solar fields in farmland and wetlands is so far beyond retarded i want to slap president tsai personally for not getting involved and righting the impossible level of stupidty involved with these schemes.

1 Like

https://amp.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/article250356926.html

Progress

In places without active volcanism, it can provide very little power. I think I read less than 2% of a country’s needs, and that’s exploiting every possible drilling spot.

Lifting more people out of poverty, being able to test more things in science, electrifying carbon-intensive tasks like making steel and running cars. It’s estimated the world’s energy supply will need to at least triple by 2050 just to meet demands.

40% of the world’s emissions are produced by the richest 16%. As more people move out of poverty, we’ll need more and more clean energy to meet their expectations. It’s not right to ask them to stay poor because the rich have messed up the atmosphere. It’s the responsibility of the rich to make sure everyone gets access to abundant clean power.

I’ve looked into this more. Using the US as an example, there would be the requirement of a national grid to be built to move solar energy from the SW and wind energy from the Great Plains. Batteries are a pipe dream now. It would cost over 27 billion dollars annually just to have the capacity to power Tokyo from intermittent sources.
While a national grid would be expensive, and surely face political hurdles, it would actually be the cheapest option because it would reduce the need for renewables overall by 30%. But even in the US, where wind and solar resources are abundant overall, they need lots of nuclear to make up the difference and keep the green premium low.

Also, look at this chart of materials needed per TWh, nuclear has a clear advantage just like it does with space.

@finley
This method could prove quite appealing assuming the habitat would support proper crop rotation, soil management and carbon sequestration techniques, definitely save water

depends on the country