Nuclear Power: Viable energy or not after the Japanese disaster?

Yes I do like geothermal on the face of it. Of course, as Yuli has highlighted, I’m let down by my inattention to the world of physics so don’t fully understand if there’s not hidden dangers there also. I realise it’s a stretch, but wouldn’t this incrementally at least, increase the cooling off of an admittedly awfully hot core of the planet? If so, what are the potential repercussions?

The decision to switch power resources in such a vast measure also strikes me as only uniquely possible to monolithic central governments like China’s, and even then only in the absence of financial competition. And to do so without causing widespread mayhem strikes me as almost impossible.

I recall reading some small snippet in some article years ago that mentioned the effects of a moderate hike in oil prices in Indonesia, not the huge jack up in the seventies, but sometime in the eighties when the government loosened it’s subsidies on domestic oil. It resulted in the deaths of something like 100,000 Indonesians alone, as they simply stopped using kerosene to boil water and an outbreak of water borne diseases soon followed.

Here’s a snippet from a paper looking at the possible effect of a rise in oil prices as an outcome of hitting Iran.

[quote]We use the results of these simulations to provide an estimate of the increase in infant and child deaths as a result of increases in oil prices. The increase in the oil price by a third reduces Africa‟s GDP by around 1 per cent. Using the lower elasticity estimate, a drop of 1% in income would increase infant deaths each year by around 5,000 in Africa alone and child deaths by around 10,000. Of course these estimates are average, and in some countries the effects could be relatively bigger because they are more sensitive to income changes or income changes might be bigger. [/quote] More here: odi.org.uk/resources/downloa … report.pdf - Note it’s a PDF file.

Money, it’s a bitch!

HG

While they have to dig down a long way (about 4km) it is no where near the edge of the the crust. Crustal thickness varies, but in Australia for example it’s about 40km deep. This kind of research is only going down to some deep aquifers where the temperature is between 130 to 170 degrees. Actually, I think they are limestone aquifers in Victoria. So I don’t think they’ll be cooling the core. However, it could cause some hitherto unforeseen problems I guess like draining of underwater systems. That was the problem they had with the first successful case in the US. In that case they used the existing underground water and all of it. So they built a plant which is still functional but it has no water to run it. I did see a TV show where they were planning on shipping the water in from the coast on a pipeline for that place. It ran for about 20 years.

You are touching on an interesting (and to some people, important) point, so i’ve started a different thread for it: “How many humans have the right to life, etc.?” viewtopic.php?t=98181

Back home, geothermal was so successful the Gov’t closed: it was theatening their nice nest eggs of refinery rights and oil monopolies.

Where was this?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote=“Ducked”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”] I want cold beer, loud music and an aircon!
HG[/quote]

New axiom? You don’t get them.

I could live with that. I’d guess future generations might think it a price worth paying too.

But I know it isn’t going to happen.[/quote]
More seriously, edithgow, apologies with all the noise and distractors, I hadn’t perhaps given credit where it’s due, and I do like the way you are thinking through all of this.

But I am curious why you think we need to give up the aircons (and Lord help me, my cold beer!) for the next generation? I suspect it’s because you’re opposed to nukes, fullstop. Would that be fair? Or are you referring to the possibility of a shortfall in summer power supply in Japan? Alternatively, just a simple case that this generation is sucking the future in environmental terms from the next?

Just trying to get a handle on your position.

HG[/quote]

Well, I guess its more a personal paradigm than an axiom, and its predicated on doubtful precepts like “We give a shit”, “We can take some pain”, “We can make do with less.”

Several posters on here have held up continued and accelerating global consumerism as a shining, immutable truth, and since the levers of (political and economic) power are mostly squidged in the chubby fists of lard-arses or wannabees, those posters are probably right.

The give-a-shit paradigm would, as a counter to a rise in living standards/energy consumption in the “third world”, lower the living standards/energy consumption in the “first world” to meet them.

That’s gotta huyt a bit, but technical “progress” is often driven by marketing rather than real utility. (Microsoft over the last couple of decades provides a good tits-on-a-bull-technology marketing tutorial.) I believe huge savings are achievable with relatively painless behavioural changes, even before we consider technical fixes/abstinance.

To take a seemingly trivial example, you can have a perfectly adequate wash, and rinse your clothes, with half a bucket of water, which you can then use to mop the floor/flush the toilet/water the garden, etc. “Third world” people do just that, but I’m the only first world punter I know who does it voluntarily. Doesn’t hurt a bit.

Some things would hurt more, but one can be selective. Your cold beer and loud music probably aren’t a big hit, if your fridge is smallish and efficient, and you havn’t borrowed The Stones On Tour PA system.

Aircon (and, further north, its corollary, space heating) is, however, a, perhaps the, big problem. I don’t use my domestic or car aircon, which is occasionally uncomfortable. The classrooms don’t have aircon, which is often uncomfortable but hasn’t killed me. I find I can’t avoid using aircon in my new office building, which, unlike the previous one which they had available as a model, has large, non-reflective, non-openable, externally unshaded windows. The small sliding window above the main ones provides some inadequate natural ventilation but has no insect screen, so you can’t open it at night. Progress? No. Fuck-witted new design? You betcha, and one sees examples of such fuck-witted design everywhere, every day.

Ironically enough, I remember reading that the Three Mile Island clean-up team developed a cold-pack solution to the heat-exhaustion caused by wearing anti-radiation suits. I wonder if a “personal” aircon system, as has been discussed on here for motorcyclists, perhaps combined with a lightweight shell-suit, could help avoid the need to aircon a whole building. Probably not going to be marketable while electricity is relatively cheap though. Too “uncool”.

In practice given the way we do things, rationing by price isn’t going to affect everyone equally, so, assuming you are fairly well heeled, your aircon is probably safe anyway, and I can do without mine. We could of course try and spread the pain equally, but that’s a whole other paradigm, and its been tried.

To answer your specific question, yes, I’m opposed to nukes, full stop. I think the risks are unacceptable, and I think the nuclear waste legacy is morally and practically indefensible.

Before this incident I thought nuclear power might be (reluctantly) defensible as a “short term” expedient response to climate change. I no longer think so, not because of what this incident has revealed about the inherent danger, since this was always evident, but because of the examples of gross operational irresponsibility and hubris. These convince me that people (EVEN THE JAPANESE, FFS!) can’t be trusted to run these things.

At the start of this incident I took cold comfort from the possibility that this would be a “never again” wake-up call and a death-blow to nuclear power. I no longer think so. I think it’s more likely that Joe publics entirely rational fear will be replaced with government/media-sponsored apathy and “smokers-denial”.

I’m pessimistic about nukes, but I’m more pessimistic about people.

So you, Huang Guang Chen, are probably right about the likely outcome for the industry.

And, in case you are in any doubt, you being right is very bad indeed. :frowning:

[quote=“Ducked”]So you, Huang Guang Chen, are probably right about the likely outcome for the industry.
And, in case you are in any doubt, you being right is very bad indeed. :frowning:[/quote]
Agree on both counts - as far as the short term is concerned. On the long run, the crash will be the harder the longer we pretend it won’t come… and come it must (unless we mend our ways), because nature works according to the laws of physics and not according to the whims or plans of people. :smiley:

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … 2C+News%29

The current six units of the three nuke plants have done well over the last upteen years, but its time to retire them before they bust. Old cars dont run forever and neither do nuke plants.

I was hoping the 4th nuke power plant will be viable. And it does seem a shame to let go of 10 billion USD. But apparently its the same design as FUkushima and we know what happened there. Its also located by the sea and theres no telling if Aoti could be the next Fukushima. Something that simply must not happen in Taiwan, with so many crammed into so little a space.

IF the 4th nuke power plant is not built to a viable standard then it should be mothballed before it is even fired up. Better to lose the ten billion invested then to have a Fukushima in TAiwan.

IF nuke power is only bout 20pct of Taiwans power needs, a proper education of TAiwans populace probably could supplant any shortfall.

For example, theres no need to have Aircon inside buildings at max cold (say 10 to 15c) when it gets to be 35c outside. A ten degree centigrade difference is usually quite nice.

At home i keep my thermostat at 25c year round. Cool nuff in our summers, which can get to 40c and warm enough in our winters which can be just below zero in the mornings.

Actually keeping it at 20c in winter would be even more economical, just putting on a sweater.

Some people surely will suggest that you’re exaggerating. Certain things just can’t happen - because they are not allowed to happen. Should we not trust that Taipower and the Taiwanese government will solve the problems of storing burnt-out rods and earthquake-proofing nuclear power plants just as all the other countries in the world have solved them? :sunglasses:

Of course. Humans could do so many smart things if they’d just be smarter about things. :thumbsup:

Bleh

sorry to necro, but the Taiwanese are going to the voting booths in December for or against nuclear energy. The current DPP party is very anti nuclear, but recent developments in the UN,

SMRs won’t work everywhere, but they will work in many places, and could power a whole lot of people out of poverty, filth and war.

New-wave reactor technology could kick-start a nuclear renaissance — and the US is banking on it | CNN

This technology is also being used below sea level. Dozens of US submarines lurking in the depths of the world’s oceans are propelled by SMRs, as the compact reactors are known.

SMRs — which are smaller and less costly to build than traditional, large-scale reactors — are fast becoming the next great hope for a nuclear renaissance as the world scrambles to cut fossil fuels. And the US, Russia and China are battling for dominance to build and sell them.

The Biden administration and American companies are plowing billions of dollars into SMRs in a bid for business and global influence. China is leading in nuclear technology and construction, and Russia is making almost all the world’s SMR fuel. The US is playing catch-up on both.

There’s no mystery behind why the US wants in on the market. It already lost the wind and solar energy race to China, which now provides most of the world’s solar panels and wind turbines. The big problem: The US hasn’t managed to get an SMR working commercially on land.

I support nuclear power, and think the Japanese did well in the circmstances, but… can you imagine Taiwan’s response to something similar?