Number 7 - the invisible slime

Hey guys, last Saturday I made number 7 from Sanxia to Yilan, the third time I do it, and the asphalt was so slippery. Indeed, I felt my rear and front tires sliding when I was passing through two stuck cars (damn narrow road, sometimes). I was ridiculously slow then, about 5 / 10 kmh. Nobody could see any special thing on the floor, but it was slippery as fuck.

Then, I had to make an emergency break down in the middle of a small curve because of a car being not so slow by the middle of the road, and I kissed the ground. Firstly I tried to break down smoothly, but given that I didn’t see much reaction in the car, I broke down again and went to the floor. I felt so ashamed that I got the fuck out of there. I don’t like to fall, and there was nothing to discuss with the old couple who kept saying that I was riding fast (not faster than them, to be honest).

Or course my GF lectured me.

And then, after 10 minutes riding, my GF went to the floor in another curve, this time nothing involved but some leaves on the ground. She wasn’t riding fast at all, but she was too much on the right side, I presume.

Both of us are OK, but I’m OK only thanks to my leather jacket and helmet. Do get a leather jacket yourself, even if it’s hot and humid.

The point or points here are that:

a) There some thin slime covering some mountain roads that you can barely see. It’s not that it’s wet, it’s some kind of transparent mocus. I’m thinking of “Ghost Busters” now
b) Don’t lecture others, because that might happen to you :stuck_out_tongue:
c) wear your protections. I was so close to leave the jacket at home because of the weather. I’m happy that I took it with me
d) cars go by the middle of the road. Even if it’s annoying and they don’t have the right to do so, bear it in mind that they do it

You have to watch those mountain roads for the amount of sunlight they get on them. If they don’t get much sunlight, this moss grows on them.
I had a friend mention that to me when he was going to take me out on a good mountain ride around Guanxi, NE Hsinchu county. On that day,
it was foggy and raining a little. He didn’t want to do the ride that day because of the lack of sunlight to dry up the roads of moss. So, how was
the weather when you went out that day? Was it sunny or overcast?

[quote=“johnledoe”]You have to watch those mountain roads for the amount of sunlight they get on them. If they don’t get much sunlight, this moss grows on them.
I had a friend mention that to me when he was going to take me out on a good mountain ride around Guanxi, NE Hsinchu county. On that day,
it was foggy and raining a little. He didn’t want to do the ride that day because of the lack of sunlight to dry up the roads of moss. So, how was
the weather when you went out that day? Was it sunny or overcast?[/quote]

Hi John,

the amount of sun was different on each centimeter of road. We crossed both sunny and foggy areas, and yeah, some parts of the road were wet and you could see it. The funny thing is that sometimes you couldn’t tell that there was something in there. In some cases there are obvious red flags that you can see, but last Saturday I learnt that even if you don’t see it it doesn’t mean that it’s not there…

I guess that some of this slime comes from pollen plus water and bacteria… and that with a fair amount of sun beams they could turn into nothing.

Thank you for letting us know. I still have to do that ride, i will be extra careful now. HOw long did it take?