Number of spouses in Taiwan from PRC exceeds 262,000

[quote]http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-01/21/content_7464122.htm

Spouses in Taiwan from Chinese mainland, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) and Macao Special Administrative Region (MSAR) had reached 262,000 by the end of 2007.

Figures released by the Taiwan authority on Monday showed that more than 135,000 couples registered for marriages in Taiwan last year, according to Taiwan media reports. 

Among the registered, 24,700 were marriages between one Taiwan resident and one spouse not from the island. More than 15,000 spouses were from the Chinese mainland, HKSAR and MSAR. [/quote]

I guess this brings new meaning to the term re-unification…

You think KMT will change the law to allow the spouses from mainland to become voting and working residents along the same line as the spouses from other countries? :wink:

They should at least bring PRC spouses naturalization timeline to be closer to spouses from other countries. PRC spouses have a 11 year wait.

Isn’t it funny that in the Republic of China, Chinese have to wait 11 years to get them naturalized as Chinese?

The DPP are heartless.

probably they just continued decades of KMT’s policy, didn’t they? Or maybe, it has to be the LY to change that particular…

any info on how many are women, how many men?

any info on how many are still married, and locatable?

that’s a sizeable fifth column.

(Sorry, I had to say this to keep the TI banner flapping fitfully, as I know you just expected of me).

cctang is my choice for a Chinese bride, if i had to make one: I just love that guy. ACD is unable to qualify.

Just promise me you’ll look the other way when I start stockpiling laser designators and plastic explosives in the kitchen.

no worries, as long as you can find room among all the Brussels sprouts.

semtex is fun stuff. best kept cool and dry.