Number to call from abroad for Taiwan (Taipei) directory assistance (104)

I was trying to find the phone number of a certain business in Taipei (an elusive one without internet presence or any useful stuff on Google). So I tried to call the Chinese language directory assistance 104 from abroad. The obvious numbers like “+886104” don’t seem to work from German land line, mobile phone, or with Skype Out. Just says Invalid or unknown number. I resorted to calling a friend in Taiwan and have her call for me - but there must be a way, no?

So: Any idea how to call 104 from abroad?

I know from Canada, you must dial 0 for the local operator and tell them you want a Taiwan number.

They call the operator in Taiwan for you and relay back the number.

I do remember the charge being a little rediculous though. About $5Cad per lookup.

[quote=“dan2006”]I know from Canada, you must dial 0 for the local operator and tell them you want a Taiwan number.

They call the operator in Taiwan for you and relay back the number.

I do remember the charge being a little rediculous though. About $5Cad per lookup.[/quote]

Thanks for this interesting idea. I didn’t even think of “the operator”, since I have never, ever encountered something like this here in Germany, thinking that this is a thing of the past. But, lo and behold, there is such a service still, at elast for calling abroad: T-Operator-Service, “Auslands-Handvermittlung”, 01802-001033.

Still, they cannot call the phone number “104” in Taiwan, either. Shortest number they have tried so far, they said :sunglasses:

Actually you need to call your local operator in Germany and tell them you need a number in Taiwan.

They have a direct method of calling Taiwans operators that does not use 104 at all.