NWOHR able to enter taiwan?

Hi, I’m a National w/out Household Registration. I have a Taiwan passport that has a valid entry permit but I am not a resident or “citizen”. I live in the US. I can’t find any information on official sources about whether I still need to go through the trouble of providing proof of family relations and get a special entry permit (due to covid restrictions) before I book a ticket to come and visit. I contacted the embassy/cultural center but that answer was vague: “Before entering Taiwan, please make sure your ROC passport and the enter/exit permit (臨人 a sticker placed on the inside of your passport) are valid.”. I guess that’s a yes?

Has anyone entered with just your NWOHR passport lately?

This is a particular scenario from approximately a year ago, that one should inquire or their local TECO or TW’s BOCA (Bureau of Consular Affairs) directly to avoid happening. So many variables and ever changing rules/regulations. Even the airline carrier were unsure, but allowed boarding and passage of flight. One recent change was that PCR tests within 48 hours were no longer required as of AUG/15 as per TW CDECC…

Hi remotercharm,

One of my family members recently fly in to TPE these past few days and was able to enter with a ROC passport w/ NWOHR status. The person in question also had an National ID # printed on it though… passed through with no issues. I believe those with NWOHR status without ever having a HHR ever previously or National ID might possibly have an issue. Hope this this helps for the August 2022 time period.

1 Like

if you have an ID number in your passport, you’re not an NWOHR.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying that. At the time of the ROCTW passport issuance, the person issued the passport was specifically told that they were NWOHR as they had been away from the country for over 2 years (pre-pandemic) and I believe during a pandemic, the validity of HHR were extended numerously but those that were NWOHR were cancelled if they had not been in TW past 2 years? This is a ever-changing and evolutionarily topic manner, so any insight and feedback is appreciated as well.

What had transpired and occurred with the gentleman referenced in that TaiwanNews article can be avoided. Here inthe East Coast, the NY TECO has been vague with inquiries and clarifications as to needing an exit/entry permit with an NWOHR ROC TW passport.

Those people who left Taiwan for extended periods of time are granted moving-out registration, a very important distinction than an actual NWOHR. They have the right to return.

Those who move out of the jurisdictional area (township, city, district) for over 3 months shall be subject to Moving-out Registration, except when movement is made owing to the requirements otherwise provided by laws, military service, schooling within the country, imprisonment, and dwelling in long-term care institutions or other similar premises.
When the all household members move, missing persons with a case number compiled by police authorities, those who are in detention or who have left the country for less than two years shall be moved accordingly.
Those absent from ROC for 2 years and over shall be subject to Moving-out Registration. People meeting the following conditions are not applicable to the above provisions:

1. A person who has been stationed overseas by government order or the family of such person.
  2. Working on an ROC oceangoing fishing ship.
    An ROC national who departs from the country, but enters with no ROC passport or other entrance documents, though he or she is in the country, he or she is still considered having left the ROC for 2 years and over and shall be subject to Moving-out Registration.

When we often talk about an NWOHR, we talk about people who have never received their Initial household registration, IE, their first. They don’t have the right to enter Taiwan.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=D0030006

Article 16 of the Household Registration Act.

Appreciate the reply Marco. Will review what you had referenced and hope that it may help the initial thread poster in regards to her question. Thank you for the feedback. :smile: