NWOHR + Gold Card?

As a NWOHR holder, is it possible and recommended to get a Gold Card (as opposed to TARC + work permit). My goal would be to (1) qualify for citizenship conversion quickly and (2) be able to freelance internationally while meeting the residency requirements.

My understanding is that NWOHR + TARC meets the residency requirements if you stay for a full year. What about with the Gold Card? Is that a separate track or can it also can be combined with NWOHR?

Thank you in advance for the guidance!

1 Like

yes, it is a separate track. You get the card by your foreign passport. To get a citizenship, you should get a residency by your Taiwanese passport.

If one of your (grand)parents has an active hukou in Taiwan, you can get an open work permit.

Thank you so much Tando! This is exactly the information that I needed.

Both my parents do have active hukou. To find out more information, what is the name of the work permit I should be seeking? I’d love to look up the sequencing information (i.e. TARC first?) and whether I can apply for these documents before arriving in Taiwan.

Thank you again! I’ve seen your responses in other threads - they continue to be immensely helpful!

1. get a passport, if you don’t have it yet
    https://www.roc-taiwan.org/ussfo_en/post/106.html

2. apply for TARC, yes you can apply for it either in Taiwan or at TECO in your location
    https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141465/141808/141954/
    Notices for the Application of National Living Abroad without Registered Household in Taiwan Area for Residence in Taiwan Area

3. you should enter with Taiwanese passport and entry-exit permit
    in chinese
    https://www.taiwanembassy.org/aumel/post/4289.html
    臺灣無戶籍國民,申請「臨人字入出國許可」返國

4. apply for open work permit in Taiwan at an office of Workforce Development Agency (Workforce Development Agency)
    Bilingual application form(PDF)

1 Like

Thank you so much Tando!

Is it possible to extend the 6 month entry-exit visa on the NWOHR with getting a gold card?

So from what I understand.

If I am not seeking to pursue Taiwan citizenship as of now, would the Gold Card be my preferred route/track if I plan on working in Taiwan within the next 1-3 years?

For some context:

• I currently have a NWOHR passport
  • Also holder of a US passport
  • I made over the salary (NT$160K/mo) requirements within the past 3 years
  • I am in talks of finalizing a new position/job in Taiwan (Apr/May)
  • Currently still employed with a US employer (also making over the NT$160K/mo requirement)
  • Plan on quitting my US job to transfer over to TW job once Gold Card is approved

I don’t know which one you prefer, but there may be some pros and cons for both.

Some people may prefer some national’s peaks, and some may prefer foreigner’s status and the tax benefit for applicable GC holders.

1 Like

If you truly do not want to pursue citizenship, the Gold Card is certainly an easier path. I went the heritage route and it was a lot back-n-forth, extra costs and tests (fingerprints, health check), multiple steps (NWHOR + TARC) with built-in wait time, multiple required in-person trips to TECRO. I started the process in September, hope to get my TARC in February, and will figure out the work permit after. I think I’ll be lucky to complete the process in six months.

For comparison, I’ve had several friends pursue the Gold Card route and their anecdotal information was “I filled out a form, sent in a notarized copy of my passport, and they mailed me a Gold Card in five weeks.” Apparently they also add you to a Facebook group for support and have an entire onboarding/welcome set of information, not to mention the tax exemptions.

With Covid, it seems that the heritage process is slowed (e.g. TECRO had to close multiple times), whereas the Gold Card process is accelerated (no more in-person verification required).

Disclaimer that all of the above is really just my personal experience. Your experience may differ. Best wishes!

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight!

I’ll definitely read a little more but I think the GC might be the best option atm due how fast it is compared to the heritage route.

I just realized that you already have an NWHOR, in which case you could travel to Taiwan directly and complete the TARC process there. This would significantly bring down your cost and processing time - the reason my process has taken so long so far is because I did not already have an NWHOR, and you need that on hand before you can begin the TARC process. The GC would still give you stronger access to an ex-pat community and tax breaks though. Good luck!

Gotcha! Yeah I just came back from TW and realized too late that I could have started the TARC process.

However I also found out about the GC during my visit and my eyes have been set on that ever since.

Potentially off topic, but hard earned knowledge: you can’t enter Taiwan on the special NWOHR entry/exit permit and convert to a Gold Card while in-country.

2 Likes