NZ Elections

yeah.

You should be fine then. I’m in the same boat, and even trying to change it in NZ was a goddamned clusterfuck. Plus I went through the same online rigmarole as you, so I know what you mean. I plan on basically just rocking up to the pseudo-embassy on the 17th and seeing what happens.

On another thing - I just listened to the interviews linked above with Winston, Helen, and Rod, and so far: Helen handled herself well, Winston proved once again he has no idea what the fuck he’s doing and has no policies, and Rod Donald is a remarkably convincing and rational guy for a hippy :wink:

Truant. You don’t have to be ont he electoral to vote. That is total misinformation designed to get people onto the electoral role (and make life easier for them). :slight_smile:

The requirements to vote are that you are a citizen, that you were once registered to vote, and that you have set foot in NZ in the last 3 years.

I was told this by the official at the pseudo-embassy. I have voted here, unregistered, twice before with no problems whatsoever.

You vote in the last electorate you were registered in.

When’s the date anyway?

Brian

Sept. 17th is the day.

Both myself and my flatmate had exactly the same problems with the registration website - couldn’t get the forms to print off properly and we both missed the cutoff. So thanks for the info that it was all completlely unnecessary! Damn I love bureaucracies.

Looks like my father was completly sotted when he told me Winston could be PM - he’s 12 points down to the Nats in Tauranga and NZ first is only polling 3-4. Could be the end of an era :smiley:

Epsom seems to be big again- Rodney hide is all but begging the Nats to pull out and is sending out fliers telling National supporters that not voting for him means National have less of a chance of getting into power. Meanwhile Labour is telling its supporters there to vote for National.

I just don’t get National - all these years and they still haven’t worked out that MMP is different ball game. Every election they fire a strategic shot directly into their own foot. That said TV One’s poll on Sunday gave National an eight point lead. But given that that’s an eleven point turn around you have to wonder if NZ’s media hasn’t taken a few pages from the Taiwanese media’s election playbook to grab some viewers and make an otherwise dull election at least seem interesting.

Anyone have the address and phone number of the NZ pseudo embassy? Can we only vote on Saturday or can we go anytime that week?

the pseud-em is in the WTC n’est pas? do you think i’d have any probs being that im on a UK passport at the mo?

Yep, it’s in the WTC here in Taipei.

New Zealand Commerce and Industry Office
Suite 2501, 25th Floor
International Trade Building
333 Keelung Road, Section 1

Telephone: 2757 6725
Fax: 2757 6973
E-mail: nzcio.tpe@msa.hinet.net

Office hours
Mon-Fri 0830 – 1700hrs

[quote=“NZCIO”]You can vote in person at the NZCIO office from Wednesday 31 August to Friday 16 September.

Our voting hours are:

Weekdays: 9.00am - 12.00pm, 2.00pm - 5.00pm

Friday September 16th (the final day of voting): 9.00am - 4.00pm.[/quote]

Holy hell…the scourge of terrorism has hit the peaceful shores of even quaint little NZ…A man is held up in a hotel in Tauranga with a bomb and he’s not backing down till he gets to chat with Helen…this election looks like there’s life left in it yet. Story breaking…

mothers, lock up your sheep

What the hell is up with Tauranga? Obvioiusly budget cuts have been hitting the health department hard there because someone needs to up their meds.

I was about to post in this thread anyway after the events of the last couple of weeks.

Bloody hell, what a mudslinging match this erection has turned out to be.

Here’s a headline recap, for the last week:
*Brash admits Exclusive Brethren beside anti-Labour campaign after first denying it
*Helen Clark forced to abandon speech due to roudy students
*Winston (Houdini) Peters pulls sexual harrasment case out of his ass to discredit his main competitor
*Fat man wearing only G-String tries to approach Helen Clark
*Labour forced to release a damning report descrediting their own student loan pledge when National appeals to Ombudsman - Findings reveal Labour were out by a factor of 300%.

[quote=“Truant”]I was about to post in this thread anyway after the events of the last couple of weeks.

Bloody hell, what a mudslinging match this erection has turned out to be.

Here’s a headline recap, for the last week:
*Brash admits Exclusive Brethren beside anti-Labour campaign after first denying it
*Helen Clark forced to abandon speech due to roudy students
*Winston (Houdini) Peters pulls sexual harrasment case out of his ass to discredit his main competitor
*Fat man wearing only G-String tries to approach Helen Clark
*Labour forced to release a damning report descrediting their own student loan pledge when National appeals to Ombudsman - Findings reveal Labour were out by a factor of 300%.[/quote]

This is what happens when you silly-billies elect an idiot like Bush.

I feel quite strongly that Howard should be reelected as Chancellor of North Zealand. There. I said it. Hah! And I don’t CARE what you guys think, I’m from the USA and I know what’s best for your society!

I think its save to say Clark didn’t sleep her way to the top. Man the is one ugly cow :moo:

Actually given some of the National Party policies, and their new connection with the right-wing whacko “Christian” Exclusive Brethren church, then it all starts to look similiar.
Hmm, the big 4, Bush, Blair, Berlusconi, Brash…
maybe there really is a giant right wing conspiracy… :astonished:

Anybody know where the election party here in Taipei is?
Will TVNZ or TV3 be doing an internet broadcast? There was in 99, but I wasn’t here in 2002…

Rowdy students? What is the world coming to?

And proceeds to have his arse handed to him on a silver plate by said competitor, who is trashing the shit out of him, when the competitor comes out publicly, gives every single detail of the accusations, and then basically goes “So now what Winnie?”

[quote=“Tetsuo”]
And proceeds to have his arse handed to him on a silver plate by said competitor, who is trashing the shit out of him, when the competitor comes out publicly, gives every single detail of the accusations, and then basically goes “So now what Winnie?”[/quote]

well, not exactly stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,340 … 95,00.html

Well, apparently d’Or’s talk didn’t hold much water with the court, because the whole sexual harrassment thing didn’t end up going anywhere, and the crotch comment seems harmless to me. It’s not like he said “Damn, I gotta adjust my gigantic cock. Wanna help?” Personally I reckon d’Or’s talking out her arse. If she was fired unfairly (the whole “I never swore at customers” thing), why didn’t she chase him over it? Plus anyone that willing to be dragged around publicly by Winston’s got to be getting something out of it…

perhaps the 30K that he paid her was more than for contract dues, as he claims. Now that it is high profile(and she got her money) she doesn’t give a shit about keeping quiet.

Sweet.

As of 30 mins ago, the polls have closed, and the results are coming in.

Word from NZ is that this is more exciting than the ‘Wedding’ episode on Shortland Street back in '93.

electionresults.govt.nz/ (pretty much live result updates)

Sweet. Also: nzcio.com/news.cfm?CFID=1993 … &l=1&i=230

Plus on Stuff, best lede ever:

I’m still a bit thrown that the leader of the Christian Coalition is a kiddy fucker.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]Sweet. Plus on Stuff, best lede ever:

I’m still a bit thrown that the leader of the Christian Coalition is a kiddy fucker.[/quote]
oh yeah, that story has fascinated me also.

His attempt to justify his actions by claiming that an 11yr old was consensual was totally :loco: and really makes me wonder why he honestly thought he’d garnish some sort of sympathy by stating that in the lead up to his sentencing :noway: