NZ visa for Taiwan Wife

I’m a New Zealander who has been married to my Taiwanese wife for about 10 months now. I am in the process of getting the JFRV and also the OWP.

My question is this, if anybody has experience…

Is there a different NZ visa I can get for my wife so she does not have to get visitor’s every time we go back for a holiday? I know she could get a resident’s visa… but we would have to be living there for that…

:shock:

Cheers!

Daryl

Hey there fella,
I am a Kiwi too. Yup, married to a Taiwanese too.
I too am going through the same process with the JFRV and OWP.
I have a 1 year 6 mnth old son too.
I think there wouldn’t be any kind of special visa for your wife, well, as far as I know.

Where are you living? Taipei or other?
PM me if ya like!
Let me know how you get on!

Spot ya

You got me on the son part…we are trying though… :wink:

So every time you and your wife go back to NZ she needs to get a visitor’s…is that right? PAin in the ass, but I wouldn’t be surprised…

Cheers!

Daryl

Yup, have to get a visitors visa. And what’s more it’s more of a pain in the ass since she is a young Taiwanese woman. She needs to prove that she is married to me with copies of our ID cards. It was a hassle and a half last time. Kinda makes me think twice about going back too often.

Oh yeah, it costs a fortune to get any children registered as NZ citizens.

Me too. Kiwi married to Tawianese. The good news is that once/if you decide to go back to NZ for good, your wife gets PR very easily and it seems a simple 2-3 year process for her to get citizenship. After that you can start bringing over her whole family if you like.

Brian

Wow! We are all kiwis married to Taiwanese…

We should form a club or something! :smiley:

Cheers!

Daryl

Ok, now we just need a name - K.I.W.I.S = hmmm I need to think about this one.
K = Kiwis
I = ?
W = ?
I = International?
S = Sheilas?

You know, in Australia, you can jump that 2 year wait to permanent residency by having a kid. Providing you’ve been married for 2 years. So we’ll be queue jumping.

[color=red]Australia[/color]
:smiling_imp:

We are [color=blue]Kiwi’s[/color] here, Australia is a dangerous word to say close to Rugby sevens time, that is if they decide to have it.

Boss, if we’re ganna talk sport, let’s talk CRICKET. Go AUSSIES. AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE. :shock:

Cricket… Yawn!

Hey! Lay off cricket…it might take all day but it is a great sport…

While attending university in Auckland, my mates and I used to make our way down to Hamilton for test matches when they were there… We would take an old couch in and sit there for five days and drink beer…great…

What other sport allows you to sit on a grassy embankment on a couch and drink beer solidly for five days??? :shock:

Great…one of the many things I miss in Taiwan is cricket…

Daryl

Point noted

[quote]What other sport allows you to sit on a grassy embankment on a couch and drink beer solidly for five days??? [/quote]Social bowls. Nah, I agree mate. We lived in the bush, so we sat on the dam bank drinking stubbies, throwing yonnies, pulling in the yabbie nets during drinks and listening to Bill Lawrie. It doesn’t get any better than that.

You can get a NZ resident Visa for your spouse if you have been married for 2 years (even a girlfriend or boyfried - same sex is possible).

The pitfall of a resident visa is it has to be first used within one year and within 2 years of leaving on the second visit (there is some discretion).

I understand it takes about 2 months in Taipei and one year!! in Shanghai. I am in the process in Shanghai.

[quote=“rian”]
The pitfall of a resident visa is it has to be first used within one year and within 2 years of leaving on the second visit (there is some discretion).

.[/quote]

I don’t understand clearly on this point.

Does that mean that once I apply for a resident visa I must use it to enter NZ within one year?

Once you receive the Visa you must enter NZ within one year. When you leave NZ you will receive a returning resident Visa that will normally be required to be execised within 2 years.

Your resident visa is single entry. On arrival you receive a resident permit that does not expire while you remain in NZ but is cancelled if you leave and automatically replaced by a returning resident Visa when you leave.

If either Visa expires you have to apply for the resident visa again.

The info is on the NZIS site www.immigration.govt.nz

You can get a 2 year multiple entry visitor visa. If you ask in NZ they will tell you you can get a three year visa. However the max Taipei will issue is 2 years, and you need to twist some arms to get that.

If you complain to the Minister of Imagration you will find them very protective of the discetionary powers of individual overseas offices.