Obama tries to preempt First Amendment rights

In a truly howl-worthy announcement, the Obama administration has released an official photograph of El Presidente but warned that photoshopping is not allowed.

[quote]
President Barack Obama shoots clay targets on the range at Camp David, Md., Saturday, Aug. 4, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

This official White House photograph is being made available only for publication by news organizations and/or for personal use printing by the subject(s) of the photograph. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not be used in commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House.[/quote]

Somehow, our Great Constitutional Scholar-in-Chief must have missed even the most basic education in First Amendment rights, not to mention copyright law. Government works, such as photographs taken by government employees for public release, are not protected by copyright, and of course even if this were a photo by a private photographer who retained copyright, “fair use” allows for parody, commentary, and the like.

I wonder how the supporters of the Obama administration will spin this one. “Photoshopping the President is a violation of his right to privacy! It’s unpatriotic! Only terrorists would engage in such parody over such a solemn issue!” :loco:

Every one of Pete Souza’s photos released carries the same disclaimer, dating back to 2009. This is hardly news.

EDIT On the official Flickr account alone that’s over 4000 previous photos where it wasn’t an issue for anyone.

This is what passes for an outrageous violation of the constitution these days? Wow, I am liking Obama more and more. :thumbsup: :laughing:

Hey, if Obama does something and it causes steam to come out of the ears of right-wingers, he’s doing something right!

Reminds me of the time a western photographer almost got hauled off to do hard time after a minder in the DPRK caught him lying down on the ground to take a wide angle photograph of a statue of Dear Leader. Dear Leader was obviously “doing something right” too if his minions weren’t taking that kind of insolence lying down.

Can you say “a sad attempt at equivalency”? Yes you can, winston. :laughing:

Can you say “a sad attempt at equivalency”? Yes you can, winston. :laughing:[/quote]

Yes, but I’m more inclined to say that Pyongyang wasn’t built in a day.

Can you say “a sad attempt at equivalency”? Yes you can, winston. :laughing:[/quote]

Yes, but I’m more inclined to say that Pyongyang wasn’t built in a day.[/quote]

As a comeback that is excellent. As politics it’s pure paranoia.

Still I will agree there is a lot of creeping encroachments on your liberties in America these past 10 years. Wish the right would start noticing the scary militarization of the police rather than photo opts by the president. Not that I think you are right wing.

this is silly. If you read the entire message, it means essentially that the picture, if modified, should not be used to imply an association with the White House, which would amount to misrepresentation, fraud, or possibly libel or harm to goodwill.

now, if the White House actually prosecuted someone for using it under fair use, parody, for example, then it would be real constitutional news. you’re an idiot.