Objectivity and bias in media

Five years of frothing at the mouth. Now the ‘wall’ is fine:

1 Like

Uh, was Nolan frothing at the mouth? Did he ever have a problem with the wall? Or are you just reflexively knee jerking at everything.

Good article from Taibbi, how the media have shifted focus from Government abuse and intelligence agency over reach as well as reporting on when corporations go after individuals like Julian Assange to not caring a whit at the abuse of power anymore and not only not caring going after the new bogeymen they themselves have helped create.

“That a media outlet founded in order to battle mass surveillance of ordinary citizens and to safeguard privacy rights is now trolling through stolen digital data of private citizens in order to expose and punish them for thought crimes and ideological dissent is as grotesque as it is ironic,” says Greenwald.

1 Like

Washington Compost…

2 Likes

We could do a whole section on the framing of the current spike in violence in Palestine and Israel. They US media is screwing that up pretty big time.

1 Like

It’s like they’re doing full-time PR work for the Palestinian Authority.

1 Like

You rang?

4 Likes

Sweet Jeezus!

1 Like

I know. It’s six in the AM here. Imagine my having to see that image in my head before I searched for it. :runaway:

1 Like

Looks interesting

3 Likes

It’s almost like it’s written by 2 different people, at different times, with different information available. Fucking weird. ;D

1 Like

We’ve got a Compost fan here… :grin:

We got a facts and logic fan here… ;D

These two are pretty much mutually exclusive…

Good to see someone from left of center caring what happened. Still a lot of catchup to do if they want to bring into focus the nature of what Washington is today. For example it notes how the media were fooled,

Still, these flaws are outweighed by the larger lessons of the book that should resonate with a broader audience. And those just looking to dunk on the purveyors of the dossier and the media figures who fell for it will find plenty of material too.

Which is part of the problem, maybe intelligence services and media outlets were initially fooled, but by early January 2017 the intelligence services knew it was junk around the same time I suspect the media would have known which is when they first started reporting on it.

Once that is clear, it’s also clear Mueller was a shield against discovery of their own recklessness and also a sword by which they would try to take down Trump.

4 years of Trumps own intelligence agencies trying to remove their own President, aided by virtually everyone in the media, of course the Democrats and establishment Republicans when they could. The entire Washington establishment wanted him gone. Still do!

1 Like

It’s interesting he’s a former NYT reporter who would say, for example, “politics played only a small part”. I’ll definitely be giving this a look.

1 Like

Washington is a strange beast, it may have not been driven as much by politics as what an outsider might uncover.

The Horowitz report was actually very good, but I recall when he was being asked questions in congress about his comments that the FBI either acted intentionally or incompetently, his expression told it all, it was like “c’mon mate we all know the answer to that” but answered more diplomatically.

Which reminds me of one thing in the IG report that prompted the FISA court to do react, in the last FISA application they said something along the lines of “we spoke to the sub source
(of the Steele dossier) who seemed forthcoming and credible” they omitted the fact what he was being forthcoming and credible about was the Steele dossier was a bunch of garbage.

So the FISA court judge (after reading that in the IG report) ordered that FISA renewal be made public. But nothing other than that happened, it’s kind of like an inner circle joke, “that was a naughty thing to do, now show the rest of the class your homework”.

Like I say a bit weird, but they don’t like to be exposed and don’t like to hold their own to account. But for some reason do want to keep the record straight.

1 Like

The New Yorker Union calls for genocide of Jews.

The New York Times also allows an Op-Ed to call for Jewish genocide.