Objectivity and bias in media

So close!

Heard about this guy? Probably not.

PHOENIX — Arizona State Sen. Otoniel “Tony” Navarrette faces seven felony charges in connection with alleged sexual conduct with a child that occurred over several years, according to a Phoenix police report released Friday.

The Phoenix Democrat was arrested at his home Thursday night after police recorded a phone call between Navarrete and his accuser, a now 16-year-old boy.

The boy told police the day before that Navarrete had performed oral sex on him several times, beginning at the age of 12 or 13.

During the call, according to the police report, the victim asked Navarrete why he touched him inappropriately.

Navarrete told the boy he regretted what he did, but said he “wasn’t well.”

Glenn Greenwald has something cooking. Wapo is disturbed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/08/12/rumble-video-gabbard-greenwald/

If you watch nothing else in the video, watch the part about the “Institute for Strategic Dialogue”, lol. The Washington Post is such shit. They are very good at running hit pieces!

1 Like

sorry, couldn’t make it that far (where ever it is)

first 7 minutes, intro to what the series will do

7 minutes in, still intro, why this is important (growing internet censorship)

that medical doctor who was on PBS and CNN talking about masks is very interesting to see, that whole segment starts at ~8 minutes and goes to about 14 minutes. that’s the kind of thing that gives DeSantis a leg to stand on with resisting mask mandates

15:30 the Wapo bit finally starts…

at 23 minutes i stopped watching, couldn’t stand his ranting voice anymore. will be better when there are video transcripts so i can consume the content much more quickly.

tldw: seems Wapo has fallen as far as the NYT

Ask and ye shall receive

Just a bit more. I find the sound of Greenwald’s voice soothing

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

I enjoy his sense of humor, and I think he comes across better in speaking than in writing, which tends to be a little run-on and repetitive.

1 Like

did you watch the opening 8 minutes of that video?

I did not.

1 Like

Seemed as good as place as any to put it.

Thanks for that. I had never heard of Rumble before, but after reading the WaPo hit piece I got it and will now watch anyone who’s on Rumble and YouTube exclusively on Rumble.

2 Likes

Actually, yeah. Also this guy.
https://www.rawstory.com/wealthy-republican-trafficking-indictment/

I believe he’s been mentioned elsewhere. Not a contest man.

Interesting twist from the NYT

1 Like

So, Porgy and Bess is a sacred cow? Good to know. :laughing:

Code switching is an interesting phenomenon though. The problem that I find with BE is that it lacks academic depth and clarity. I’m reading DROWN now, written by a guy from the DR…not exactly BE, but close enough. At times it seems like code. It’s not simply “What up?” or “a’ight!” IMO, when used in the humanities, it’s fine really, but in the hard sciences or something like international diplomacy…I’m not so sure it would bridge the gap atm…and I say atm because I know that the kids coming from the ME in particular who live and learn English in the inner city are far more likely to use the grammatical structure of BE as they learn English. They just think it’s wrong when they get corrected to standard English in school. In a generation or two, BE might easily be translated to Arabic or Pashto, but now, nah. Follow me?

No :slight_smile: Frankly I didn’t read it, but it’s interesting the NYT has lured McWhorter away from Substack for an in-house subscription service. Perhaps I should have made that clearer.

2 Likes

AH…ok.

1 Like

I wonder if they realized they were on the wrong side of the issue, or that they were supposed to at least aim for objective reporting, or if it is simply that they were losing too much money because so few people wanted to read what they were publishing…

Perhaps some of all that. The subscription trend at sites like Substack is a threat.

1 Like