Objectivity and bias in media

Advice from @mups on how to be taken seriously? Now I’ve seen it all. :rofl:

2 Likes
1 Like

What a weird thing to say about tims. They’ve never really fallen out of style or became uncool. People still wear them all the time, especially in the east coast.

1 Like
4 Likes

More recent photos don’t show the Lego White House in the Oval Office now. It’s not clear where it is.

Someone tell Adam Schiff!

1 Like

The King has returned!

5 Likes

More obvious news about Facebook and why not to take its content seriously:

MENLO PARK (CBS SF): Facebook fired a senior engineer this week who collected evidence showing the social media company giving preferential treatment to right wing accounts, according to a report from Buzzfeed News.

The engineer, who Buzzfeed did not name, recently posted internal information on Workplace showing that “Facebook was giving preferential treatment to prominent conservative accounts to help them remove fact-checks from their content.” Facebook later deleted the post and on Wednesday, the company fired the poster.

The firing comes after Facebook employees confronted CEO and Founder Mark Zuckerberg over preferential treatment for right wing sites during an all-hands meeting last Friday. The employees pushed Zuckerberg on how “Breitbart News could remain a Facebook News partner after sharing a video that promoted unproven treatments and said masks were unnecessary to combat the novel coronavirus,” according to Buzzfeed.

Old post

Not sure what you are trying to say or why you are replying to a post I made a month ago and saying “old post”

But since you decided to bring my attention back to bias in the media, 3 weeks out from the election and Biden up 15 % in the polls and steady for a while now.

Can we agree if Trump wins, at worst polls are bollocks and at best polls should be treated with a healthy dose of skepticism?

Twitter going ALL out to quash the NYPost story on Hunter Biden, his dealings with Burisma, etc.
Funny, how Twitter thinks the NYPost story is “potentially harmful”. To whom?

1 Like

Disinformation is harmful.

Why FOX is a sham. Story includes a chart of FOX ignoring covid and talking up proven nothingburger ‘obamagate’.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/14/media/fox-news-unmasking-obamagate/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+(RSS%3A+CNN+-+Most+Recent)

New York (CNN Business)It was a conspiracy that Fox News portrayed as one of the greatest — if not the greatest — political scandals in American history.

Tucker Carlson called it a “domestic spying operation” that was “hidden under the pretext of national security.” Laura Ingraham characterized top Obama administration officials as having been “exposed.” And Sean Hannity flatly declared it to be the “biggest abuse of power, corruption scandal” the country had ever seen.

That was back in May. This week, however, the conspiracy theory collapsed when The Washington Post reported that a Justice Department investigation into the supposed scandal quietly ended with no charges.

News that Trump’s Justice Department had concluded without charges being filed landed with a thud on Fox News. Martha MacCallum covered it on her Tuesday night show, but a search of transcripts did not turn up any other instances in which Fox covered it on air. The story was briefly featured on Fox News’ homepage before being removed Wednesday afternoon. Even when it was featured on the network’s website, it was not given the same play as the initial unmasking stories were in May.

As the coronavirus death toll neared 100,000 people in the US, Fox News practically dumped coverage of the disease to focus on “OBAMAGATE.” After Grenell declassified the related documents in May, mentions of key words related to the supposed scandal spiked on the conservative network as mentions of words related to the coronavirus dropped.

1 Like

Did you happen to read Twitter’s response on why it banned the NYPost?
The images contained in the articles include personal and private information — like email addresses and phone numbers — which violate our rules.

Hahaha. So, the content is genuine, but email addresses and phone numbers are verboten.

1 Like

Hahaha. Nope, not verified.

According to Twitter, they are taking the action because of the lack of authoritative reporting on the origins of the materials included in the article.

Facebook spokesman Andy Stone wrote in a post, “While I will intentionally not link to the New York Post, I want be clear that this story is eligible to be fact checked by Facebook’s third-party fact checking partners. In the meantime, we are reducing its distribution on our platform.”

I had a reply to an older post of yours, but thought it wasn’t worth sending. When I reopened this thread a month later, it was sitting there and I accidentally hit ‘Reply’ instead of’ ‘cancel’. Since the moment had passed, I deleted it and put in ‘old post’. The world, alas, will have to struggle along without my inspired prose.

1 Like

Is it harmful when Biden lies and slanders?

Or is it only selectively harmful? Just asking.

dog 'n pony show

3 Likes

From what I read, the NY Post story is full of swiss cheese holes, looks like it was the right move. Their rep probably going toilet bound now. This was a quick crash and burn.

Earlier Wednesday — the month after US intelligence was said to be aware of plans to release the hacked and forged material — the New York Post published a dubious story about a “smoking-gun email” between Biden’s son Hunter and a top Burisma executive.

It said the email dated from when the elder Biden was vice president and Hunter Biden was serving on the board of Burisma.

Though the authenticity of the email remains unverified, Trump and his allies have seized on the report as proof of their allegations of corruption against the Bidens, Burisma, and the Ukrainian government.

But as Business Insider reported, the story featured numerous holes and red flags:

• The Post learned of the purported emails from the former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon and obtained them from Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani.
  • The story cited an unidentified computer-repair-shop owner as originally obtaining the emails last year after an unidentified person dropped off a water-damaged laptop with a Beau Biden Foundation sticker on it but never picked it up.
  • The shop owner is said to have made a copy of the hard drive and given it to Giuliani’s lawyer in December before turning the material over to federal authorities, the article said.
  • Business Insider identified the owner as John Paul Mac Isaac, an avid Trump supporter and conspiracy theorist who could not recall the timeline of events laid out in the Post’s story, for which he was a primary source.
  • The Post recycled numerous false claims about the Bidens’ connection to Burisma that have been amplified by Trump and those around him, despite their being debunked.
1 Like

Youtube dropping the hammer on Qanon conspiracy nonsense, better late than never: