Objectivity and bias in media

With available space on the Internet, every news source should release the total unedited interview along with the edited version that appears on their show or in their article. That applies to government reports like the Mueller report too.

Nutty idea for the US, unless the Feds are willing to lease/own server space at taxpayer expense - or nationalize cloud space vendors like Amazon Cloud Services. Lease would be infinitely better than own - given that the US government does only one thing well, cuts checks ie spends USD. Jesus, I shudder to think how bad Uncle Sam would fuck that up.

No way I would trust DC to own/update/administrate/run a server farm.

Your idea is characteristically faux egalatarian - would be nice in an 18th century Dumas novel but is about as pragmatic as green energy.

Let Canada try it out first, I say. Like the ad men used to say, Mikey will eat anything.

This one is hilarious, just at the end Christiane Amanpour does a little raised eyebrow that suggests she knows she stepped in it.

2 Likes

Not a problem. Put it all out on Bittorrent.

Mic drop hilarious, in fact. Kinda puts the exclamation mark at the end of this topic’s title, “Objectivity and bias in the media !!!” :joy:

“CNN”

Her and Leslie Stahl and dozens/hundreds of others can seriously not be called investigative reporters any more. Just generic talk show hosts.

FTNYT, as it’s known:

The New York Times has been caught, once again, passing off Republican operatives as “regular” Republican voters in an article intended to show how effectively Donald Trump is maintaining his support.

It raises serious questions about whether Times editors and reporters, rather than actually trying to determine how voters feel, are setting out to find people to mouth the words they need for predetermined story lines that, not coincidentally, echo the Trump campaign’s propaganda.

The lead anecdote came courtesy of Natalie Pontius, who was simply identified as “an interior decorator, married with two children and a University of Georgia alumna.”
Pontius, it turns out, was a paid political consultant for a Republican candidate for Georgia’s House of Representatives in 2018.

Plott also quoted Jake Evans, initially identified simply as “an attorney in Atlanta.”

Evans, it turns out, chairs the state’s branch of the Republican National Lawyers Association, is the immediate past president of the Atlanta Young Republicans, is a member of Republican Gov. Brian Kemp’s election-security task force — and is the son of Randy Evans, a Republican heavy hitter rewarded by Trump with a cushy gig as ambassador to Luxembourg.

1 Like

:woozy_face:

2 Likes

In the line of the “austere scholar:”

5 Likes

I saw a bit about riots and looting in Philadelphia and was wondering why it doesn’t seem to be getting much air time (apart from news about the upcoming election, of course).
I had a look at the home page of the main US news sites I could think of. How ‘progressive’ the channel is seems to determine how prominently it’s displayed. On Fox News it’s front and centre. On CNN it’s one of the main stories, alongside several others. On sites like MSNBC and NY Post you can find a brief mention of it after much scrolling.
I think they’ve realised that Burning Looting & Murdering isn’t a great way to win votes and are trying to pretend it doesn’t exist laptop style (it will be a bit hard to spin it as russian bots here).

On the topic of the shooting itself, the guy killed was either committing suicide via cop or off his tits - I’m leaning towards the latter.
People say “why did they have to shoot him so much?” “why didn’t they shoot him in the legs?” Being from a nogunz shithole with little experience with them myself I was curious, too. Here’s some interesting info on the topic:

Some key points I remember:
-adrenaline is a hell of a drug
-people affected by drugs are not so easily put down
-aiming for arms legs is still likely to cause a fatality (arteries) and much are more difficult to hit accurately
-tasers have a high failure rate

https://twitter.com/paulsperry_/status/1321472338748182534?s=20

hahaha

I didn’t know Rasputin was still alive.

1 Like

I think Cruz has this right, and it will taint a democratic victory which seems likely anyway. Censoring the NYP would make even the most die hard Trump hating liberal agree that Cruz is correct here. No?

It’s one thing to report on illegally obtained information, such as Water Gate, and a totally different thing to report on deliberately fabricated information.

3 Likes

That theory is falling apart. Why continue to defend hunter Biden?

Should Twitter make decisions on censoring CCP members? There’s many that post straight up lies all day. Taiwanese of all people who be weary of censorship like China, it’s what makes us Taiwan and not China. I’m sad that you’re willing to sacrifice this principle.

3 Likes

I don’t care that much about who wins the presidency but I do hate the degradation of free speech. Just like the CTI news in Taiwan, this should never happen.

6 Likes

Matt Taibbi reported on this earlier this week…

3 Likes

Really disappointed to see people I thought would support free press condone censorship. No one called for censorship when zero collaborating witnesses and even testimonies that were admitted lies when the Kavanaugh hearing was happening.

With evidence keeps mounting. Laptop confirmed to not be Russian disinformation and collaborating witness that has provided confirmed details. Yet some people still are willing to kill free press for Hunter Biden

4 Likes

Even Jack Dorcey said it was a mistake in hindsight. Yet people, some even here who I thought who be a proponent of free speech, still think they should do that.

2 Likes