Objectivity and bias in media

He’s disgusting, I’ll grant you that.

But to dismiss Weinstein because his lived experience makes him an ideal witness for Gym Jordan (and the hair) reflects poorly on you, I think.

edit: Please feel free to quote something that Weinstein says here that you disagree with or find offensive, he really strikes me was a reasonable man.

1 Like

There are legitimate points to make on issues of free speech and colleges, but many people, like this guy, don’t really get that it’s used by the right to further an agenda of distraction from bigger issues, and their overarching MO of victimization/equivalency creation.

He’s a useful tool here for politicians like Jordan, to support his confirmation bias.

1 Like

Sometimes just a background researchshows you people’s agendas. This guy Weinstein is a self-identified libertarian, and member of a group called the Intellectual Dark Web, which just happens to be funded by RW plutocrats.

Here are other “Intellectual Dark Web” (link: Eric Weinstein on Intellectual Dark Web and Disagreeability - Big Think group members, and their histories:

The IDW rightwing plutocrat support report

So let us review how many members of the “Intellectual Dark Web” are receiving funding from the Kochs. So far the definites are:

Charlie Kirk , is the founder of Turning Point USA.

TPUSA’s upcoming Student Action Summit in December has additional sponsors including the Reason Foundation, the Koch-connected Generation Opportunity Institute and the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education. (International Business Times)
Charles Murray - AEI scholar.

David H. Koch is on the American Enterprise Institute’s National Council, whose members “serve as ambassadors for AEI, providing AEI with advice, insight, and guidance as [it] looks to reach out to new friends across the country.”
Between 2002 and 2013, the American Enterprise Institute received a total of $867,289 in funding from the Charles G. Koch Foundation.
(Sourcewatch)

David Rubin - political commentator whose work is supported by Learn Liberty

Learn Liberty is a project of the Institute for Human Studies. Members of the IHS Board of Directors includes Charles Koch and Koch-related organization employees.

Christina Hoff Sommers - AEI scholar

Meet the ‘Feminists’ Doing the Koch Brothers’ Dirty Work

And then there is the case where Steven Pinker made remarks blaming the media and academia for radicalizing the alt-right at the “UnSafe Space” tour by Spiked, funded by the Charles Koch Foundation.

I strongly suspect that Claire Lehmann/Quillette also receive funding from the Kochs but so far don’t have anything definite. We do know that Quillette is supported by rightwing Australian plutocrat Mark Carnegie and others whom Lehmann won’t name. Several Quillette authors, although not named as members of the IDW in the Bari Weiss article, are funded by the Kochs including Cathy Young and Pamela Paresky.

This guy is in a circle of academics funded by the Koch brothers. trust level: as much as climate science funded by the Koch Brothers. Behind every attempt to stifle these academic disciplines is some libertarian defund scheme.

I think I agree with Bret Weinstein that the far left is out of control and that is a big issue for everyone. I don’t think I agree with you that he “doesn’t get it”.

From the NYT article I just shared. @McNulty why do you keep dong this to yourself?

From wikipedia:
Weinstein describes himself as a political progressive and left-libertarian.

2 Likes

That’s fine, but I disagree greatly.

I think a lot of these ‘issues’ which can definitely be argued as being issues, fall into the mountains out of molehills category.

As in, they aren’t threats to the Republic, rather they are things society will have discourse about and eventually rubber-band on, during the natural course of things.

Please take note I wrote all of this without inferring weird anti-semitism stuff about you personally. :brain:

1 Like

Right, and no one is disagreeing with that. Does the fact that he is a self-identified libertarian associated with a Koch-Brothers funded circle of academics throw up any red flags for you?

Edit: By the way, good job with the left-leaning NYT to publish and article critiquing the left. Seems like some decent perspective and self-censoring going on.

Well, I agree with those who see identity politics as part of the reason Trump was elected. I’m not pro-Trump and not politically conservative (or socially, or fiscally). I think having people like Trump elected is a threat to the Republic, you may disagree.

Run along now, the adults are talking

1 Like

Sounds like you think people thinking identity politics is an important issue are off the mark then.

1 Like

I don’t follow
edit: do you mean people thinking identity politics as in the the far left obsessing over identity, or on the far right obsessesing over the left’s obsession, or people like me who are in between looking at both sides thinking this is crazy?

I had no idea about this to be honest, though it wouldn’t surprise me, my hair instincts are usually on the mark.

Talk about conspiracy theories.

Sounds to me this kind of stuff, academics in groups funded by right wing plutocrats, called before congress to give cover fire for people like Gym Jordan, that sounds like reasonable grounds for motivation/distraction/projection for the right pushing their ‘deep state’ conspiracies.

1 Like

Intellectual dark web - Wikipedia

The intellectual dark web ( IDW ) is a loosely-defined informal group of commentators who oppose what they believe to be the dominance of identity politics, political correctness, and cancel culture in higher education and the news media. The term metaphorically compares opposition to mainstream opinion to what is illicitly found on the dark web. Those who have been linked to the movement have come from both the right and left of the political spectrum.

The term “intellectual dark web” was coined by the American venture capitalist Eric Weinstein, who later noted that he was not entirely serious in doing so. It was then popularized in a 2018 New York Times editorial by American opinion writer Bari Weiss.[1] Weiss and others applied the term to a broad range of figures from various parts of the political spectrum, including conservatives such as Ben Shapiro and Douglas Murray, liberals such as Maajid Nawaz and Sam Harris, and feminists like Ayaan Hirsi Ali. It has also been linked to online publications such as the libertarian-leaning Quillette .

Opinion | Meet the Renegades of the Intellectual Dark Web - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Intellectual Dark Web Professor Says Christianity Contrary to Values Needed to “Govern” Earth - The New American

Just some background. Peers in this academic movement financed by Koch Brothers. Aight then.

so

not the toupee. glad that was clarified.

The “far” anything is, almost by definition, out of control, no? Unless there’s like a “far” x of ennui or something.

2 Likes

for the sake of the current discussion, sure

But it looks like one, it’s so bad, you have to admit.

Fake things tell a lot about the people wearing them, the bigger lesson in life.

We can also learn a lot from people who refuse to acknowledge that their assumptions were incorrect. But yes, the man has crazy hair, looks like it could be a toupee. That, and him testifying before congress, are still not reasons to decline to cite specific things he has said that you disagree with.

There shouldn’t be only two sides, there really aren’t, but anyways I’m sorry you think he’s not on yours.

1 Like

I side with reality.

I doubt he’s on my side.

Have you ever seen a 70 year old with jet black hair? There’s quite a gap between their perception of reality, and reality itself, doncha think?

You think I’m joking, but I’m not. It’s hard to take someone seriously who looks in the mirror and thinks that looks normal. :rofl:

You have to question why the Murdoch media has suddenly developed an interest in Taiwan China relations. In the last few months they have posted multiple articles and the language has become more and more bellicose. Of course Murdoch was the one that supported Trump and his wild conspiracy theories that he won the US election only pouring cold water on it after the Capitol riots.

In essence all media is biased if those involved are told they have to follow a certain groupthink mentality in order to retain employment. Meaning that those who own the media are the ones that really control what people are seeing and thinking even if they aren’t dictating from the top (because they have already chosen willing sycophants that have either sold out for money or have the same shared belief systems).

State based media is also abjectly biased towards the State unless they are given a Charter that helps keep their goings on separate from who is running the State. Recent examples of how State based media can be turned is the Australian ABC. Over the last 10 years they have become more and more supportive of the rightwing conservative parties under threat of funding cuts. Numerous rightwing hacks have been appointed to various roles. Various traditionally seen leftwing voices have resigned or fled or been forced out. It has become the media version of the arrogant man patting himself on the back for telling himself lies and believing them.