Objectivity and bias in media

There was no COVID during either admin. My views on immigration do not change due to who is in office, I haven’t stated them.

OK, but what would you do then? Expel them? Give them a path to citizenship? Open borders? Step up ICE raids?

I would say the USA has had about 400 years to do something about a border and despite all the technology and resources available to the Government today it’s still shit. Might want to start there.

I’m Ok with that idea. The issue is what to do with the kids we have in these detention centers now, even the new improved versions that we both agree suck and are inhumane. Now that Biden is in office and the coast is clear, some on the right are also seeing the inhumanity of this now as well.

Kids in cages is bad. Good common ground to start with. Stephen Miller is gone but the cages remain, so it is clearly a bipartisan issue. Solutions? Maybe this should be a thread of its own?

Disincentivize illegal immigration would be a start.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is, throw those kids in cages?

jk, i know that isn’t what you’re saying

Well, how to humanely deal with people who enter your country is one of many questions that you need to contend with.

I maintain the analogy if your bath tub is overflowing the first thing you do is turn off the tap.

Biden doesn’t seem to want to address that though, he ordered a halt on the construction of a wall and have yet to see any bright idea that would be better.

1 Like

that’s a thread title right there, global issue worth arguing about

What if the water is entering from a leak upstairs, and the tenants are in Cancun?

I am not following the story, but I imagine something is being done. Anyways, what would you suggest?

lol, build that sh*t. All the way up and all the way down (and all the way 'round), and shut down all the ports as well while you’re at it.

Yes, this is my question. Open borders are to my mind also not a solution. It is a real problem and a hard one. I think foreign aid is a good solution, the US and many countries spend to make the developing world a better place to stay. Would you agree with investing more in foreign countries? What about spending money on ads that say, for example, don’t come to our country because we’ll throw your kids in cages; would a bigger PR budget be a solution worth considering?

Obviously, being raised in the UK and living in Taiwan this isn’t too much of a problem. If people could swim the 20 or so miles of freezing cold English channel they deserve to be made citizens as far as I am concerned.

Doesn’t help when the new AG of the USA hasn’t figured out if entering the country illegally is a crime or not.

5 Likes

French disagreed with targeting Syrian forces. OTOH, he agreed with assassinating Solemani.

He thinks that Trump’s bombing of Solemani and Biden’s bombing of Shi’ite militias in Syria are justified in that both were aimed at people trying to kill US troops; Trump’s bombing of Syria was aimed at Syrian Armed Forces engaged in a civil war.

2 Likes

At this point in Trump’s tenure, Jim was writing his book…on Trump. Just doing the job.

3 Likes

Good episode, some interesting looking episodes recently, I’ll be following this one. Ha, an f-bomb lol

Big surprise here
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/541197-former-trump-spokeswoman-kayleigh-mcenany-joining-fox-news?rl=1

Fun fact, my favourite band wrote a song featuring someone like her in 2005. Just take this bit of the article here

and line them up with the opening lyrics

Voila. Bon appetit

(c.f. the video game thread)

Turn about is gonna be fair play indeed. She was great. Loved her easy to reference Binder of Bullshit Opposition Hypocrisy and Actual Factual History.

McEnany torches press repeating their previous claims downplaying coronavirus

Nice try, next posta. Fake Newz is all you had and all you got. Ba dur

2 Likes

”We will not see diseases like the coronavirus come here… isn’t that refreshing when contrasting it with the awful presidency of President Obama?” — Kayleigh McEnany, 2/25/20

I have alternative facts on this one. Trump apologists like her and Kellyanne are partisan hacks and dangerous opportunists in my books. But despite our differences of opinion here and elsewhere, I am glad was can still have productive and adult conversations, @jdsmith!

nailed it
https://i.imgur.com/lgSDkvC.gif

I’m glad you’re here, Mr. Poopy Pants.

1 Like

It wasn’t moving very fast.

1 Like

Some media are held to professional standards.
Other media can do whatever the hell they want.

Fox News once banned its hosts from speaking at partisan events. Then it went all in on CPAC.

The network’s streaming service laid out $250,000 to sponsor CPAC and some of its personalities gave speeches in an unusual arrangement.

“This is far from the first time that Fox News has crossed ethical lines. But following its obvious conflicts at CPAC, viewers of Fox News may have a difficult time differentiating what’s news and what’s paid political propaganda,” said Danielle McLean, the ethics committee chair for the Society of Professional Journalists. It “creates an obvious conflict of interest for its reporters and anchors who are assigned [to cover] the Republican Party, or for that matter, U.S. politics.”

1 Like