Obscure Characters - Help!

Does anyone happen to know the pronunciation for the following two characters?

Hi LB,
The first one is zhi4…can be entered using the new XP-compatible version of “zi4ran2 shuru fa3”.

I’ll have to check on the other one. Doesn’t seem to be a “tu”…

LB,
The second character is not listed on the list of BIG-5 characters…I think you need a multi-volume dictionary of Chinese. I’m sure they have one at hte library at NTU… :laughing:

No one here at Fujen seems to know it either, not that I did a very extensive survey, to be sure, but… :shock: My helpful classmate here has found lots of Google hits on the two characters together, as you have written them – apparently no one else can enter the darn thing either.

Damn … the two characters are used together in a poem from “New Songs from a Jade Terrace” (

Unless, of course, it actually should be this character http://140.111.1.40/yitia/fra/fra04043.htm which has the zu2 (foot) radical instead, and is listed as a variant of

A couple of my dictionaries had this character combination.
[ul][li]My Guoyu Huoyong Cidian gives it as zhi2, and lists the combination, but doesn’t say how it’s read in combination. It lists the combination as meaning “an appearance of being indecisive and without destination” (you1yu2 bu4qian2 mao4 – sorry, I’d just write the characters but I can’t get Chinese input working right now).
[/li]
[li]The Pinyin Chinese-English Dictionary gives the combination as zhi2zhu2, “to walk to and fro, to loiter around”.
[/li]
[li]My Guhanyu Cidian gives it as zhi2zhu2, “as if wandering without progress”. It gives a strange variant character for zhi2 – it has a foot radical on the left and on the right is the right side of di2, “drip”.
[/li]
[li]The Guhanyu Changyongzi Zidian made zhi2 hard to find, but once I found it, it gave me the combination as zhi2zhu2, “to wander without destination”.
[/li]
[li]My Shuowen Jiezi says, “Zhi2, zhu2 ye3. Cong2 zhi3, si4. Sheng1. Zhi2 li2 qie1.” In other words, zhi2 and zhu2 are rhyming duplicates. My phonology is pretty poor, but if it’s zhi2 li2 qie1, wouldn’t that mean it’s zhi2 and not zhi4?
[/li]
[li]Finally, my Zhonghua Guhanyu Zidian gives it as zhi4chu2, “an appearance of wandering around” (pai2huai2 mao4).[/li][/ul]As an aside, some of the Mainland dictionaries of Classical and Literary Chinese are quite good, and very worth the investment if you don’t have one yet – usually no more than NT$100 or so. For those of us without the money to buy a Zhonghua Dazidian, they are a great bargain. My little Guhanyu Changyongzi Zidian has saved the day many, many times.

Thanks for all the help Ironlady, P, and RachelK. I finally got the characters (in variant form, since my software didn’t have the obscure writing, but at least the meaning’s the same) and poem up on my website. Kind of a crappy little poem for all the trouble, but oh well … thanks again! :slight_smile:

Here’s for:

[i]zh

A new but similar request.

I have three characters I haven’t been able to add to a Web page. I already know how they’re supposed to be pronounced, but my software doesn’t offer them as options.

I need the wood radical to the left of phonetic 264, the hand radical to the left of phonetic 264, and the wood radical to the left of phonetic 597.

Perhaps it’s easiest if you look for yourselves.
pinyin.info/readings/texts/visib … 07bookmark

Could anyone type these out or provide Unicode numbers? Thanks.

搖 (yao2)

Thanks, but I’m afraid that’s a different character.

I may have to resort to GIFs. :frowning:

Characters – bah!

Double posted.

Unicode for (

Another character that I need the pronunciation for … a 口 on the top, and a 巴 on the bottom. I could have sworn that it was pronounced “ba”, but can’t seem to find it. I know that I’ve come across it before, just can’t seem to remember … sigh

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”]Another character that I need the pronunciation for … a

Yes, like Kobo-Daishi says, it is

[promo]This information is also registered on the Chinese Squabble card [/promo]

I heard of something like

David,

Feel free to ask me if I am online.
I use a different input system.(