Obsession with Taiwanese who becomes famous

I don’t get this…

Ok first of all, I am a Taiwanese American, so it’s not really about the “you just don’t understand our culture”.

The TW news outlet just gets all over this Lin guy who is a basketball player for the Knicks. I mean, first Wang, then some other guy, and now Lin. When I was back in the US I never heard of any Taiwanese professional sports player (or even heard anyone talk about it) until I got back to Taiwan.

One Taiwanese guy becomes a NBA/MLB/whatever player and then the TW media just goes on and on about this guy, listing every little detail about the guy as though giving Taiwanese parents more ways to forcibly mold their children into them so that they can all be future Wangs/Lin/whatever.

Bunch of my Facebook “friends” who are also Taiwanese Americans just posts status updates after status update about this Lin guy, including this half Chinese/Australian guy too. Maybe professional sport is just big but then I don’t hear RTL and other German media outlets go on 24/7 about that Dirk guy or any other German NBA/MLB/NFL players, why do they do that here? (but then maybe they do, could be my German isn’t good enough to notice)

This is starting to get sickening… I really am feeling like checking myself into a mental institution because I must be crazy because I am not crazy about any Taiwanese professional sports athletes who plays in a major American team…

Just accept that people get excited about different things. I’m sure there are lots of things you value that I would find laughable should I choose to laugh at someone else’s preferences.

How many of your friend’s girlfriends or wives do you feel are worth obsessing over? Probably none. Your friends may disagree.

Don’t stress it.

Same as the taxi driver incident. Too many 24 hour news channels and not enough quality content, so they just churn out meaningless chaff. These same channels trawl Youtube for content?! That is about as low as you can go for content.
Lin the basketball star is worth many many hours of coverage.

The OPs experience mirrors that of having to endure being anywhere near Canadians talking about hockey.

:bravo:

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]I don’t get this… Ok first of all, I am a Taiwanese American, so it’s not really about the “you just don’t understand our culture”.

I really am feeling like checking myself into a mental institution because I must be crazy because I am not crazy about any Taiwanese professional sports athletes who plays in a major American team…[/quote]

Why can’t you just be American, or just Taiwanese? After all I am just another Taiwanese. So some Taianese like to have some excitement over some local players doing well in the NBA or Baseball or whatever. It’s not like many athletes from here get to comepte in the top echelons of sports. So to have some who can is a good thing. It may lead to more kids wanting to become more active in sports.

You aren’t crazy, the rest of the world is. Australians do the same about anyone Australian who gets famous in Hollywood. It’s just circle jerking gone into overdrive.

he is making people proud, someone in their image (so to speak) is reaching new heights and they want puff out their chest and feel good about who they are, where they are from and what they are capable of.

It isn’t Wang or Lin per say, it is that someone with TW heritage is taking care of business at the top level. This kind of pride is intoxicating and everyone falls victim to it.

Let them thump their chest.

[fc][/fc]

I’m still recovering from the obsession with Aussie rules football. The conversation at the start of each day would be on the national league: the strongest teams first, probably, then their closest rivals, then down the ladder of the 16 teams to, finally, those in contention for the wooden spoon. Then the state league. Then perhaps the local one.

The start of the work week would be spent summarizing the latest round of games (played each weekend). Towards the end of the week would be predictions for the next round. To give you an idea of how much it is possible to crap on about one game there are 22 players in a team (18 of them on the field) and 80 minutes of game time. Then there are the coaches and umpires and a whole lot of other bullshit.

And a season is six :wall: long :wall: fucking :wall: months.

There is also a pre-season.

:wall:

On the television, On the radio. In the newspapers. Sometimes I’d see grown men crying about it. Seriously. Crying. Or I’d be walking down the street and hear some crazed nutcase screaming at his television. Over a piece of cow leather and stitching.

Never seen anything so fucking stupid in my life.

Actually, I’ve seen one thing more fucking stupid and it has to do with lawns. And lawnmowers. This is a more serious mental illness than football. It causes men to approach the design and operation of very small irrigation systems with great care and seriousness of purpose. I didn’t know it was possible to turn a brass tap with love and tenderness but it is. I have seen it. I have seen men express their love by being very kind to small rubber washers. If you have seen a Taiwanese boy caress his perm while looking at his reflection in an MRT window then you have some idea what I am talking about. Yes, some Australian men caress their lawn like that. I think more research needs to be done to work out the cause of this.

I once lived with a man with this illness. His job was driving taxis and he would call in home in between fares to turn the irrigation on and off. He didn’t like the fairy ring very much because it made a dark circle in the grass. And he didn’t like the mango tree either because, well, it was a tree and had a tendency to express its treeness in shade and dropped leaves and the like. This man also lived under the burden of being low in the estimation of his father who, apparently, was a very successful businessman. In comparison to his father he wore his white collar shirts behind the wheel, not behind a large desk in a spacious office. After many many months of living with him he confided in me that his father, really, had a very nice lawn indeed. I never did find out whether he was allowed to cut it, or not, because that seemed too sensitive a subject.

But I suspect he was not allowed to cut it. And I’m really not exaggerating when I say that I suspect there may even have been an incident.

So I think he tried to make good with our share house lawn. I liked to study and read the newspaper outside on the balcony on the house’s second floor. That is how I saw him attend to the irrigation. It is also how I saw him cut the lawn, which was basically a large rectangle in the back garden. He used to start at the concrete next to the house and cut parallel to it. When he reached the end of each run he would turn the mower around and, before starting the next, would line it up with great care so that his head tilted to one side slightly. And he’d set off like that trying to keep everything dead straight. He didn’t have a theodolite, I guess. If everything went well he would reach the back fence parallel to it, so that everything looked nice. He would dump all of the clippings at the side of the house and he would use them to cover a tree stump there.

Before he moved in no one gave a rat’s arse about the fuckin lawn. If it didn’t rain - which was more than half of the year, usually - it would just go brown and die. When it rained the grass would just keep growing until the decidedly henpecked husband of the landlady came around to cut it. Sometimes the mower would be left behind and I’d cut the damned thing next time round just to keep the landlady and her family away. I’d never use the catcher to put the clippings on the garden or any of that rubbish. I’d just set the height to as low as it would go without killing the grass - a stinky, noisy job and a thouroughly disgusting machine.

Anyway, then he moved in. He would actually call the landlady :loco: and invite her to come around, with the thoroughly disgusting machine. He went out and bought fertilizer and applied it. So eventually, after a few months of love, the lawn started to look ‘nice’. One day when I was reading out on the balcony to the sound of birdsong he came home and decided it was a good time to cut the lawn. When he finished he came upstairs, opened a beer and stood alongside me admiring his handiwork. Then he began to enthuse about ‘a nice lawn’. He, again, mentioned his father. I thought his actions were unbecoming to the spirit of beer appreciation. And that he needed professional psychological help.

The whole situation made me feel that there was something wrong with the universe. Like out of balance or something.

So I devised a cunning plan. Previous to this I had once, with good reason, salted a man’s lawn but that is another story. I had also however matured and developed a sense of environmental responsibility; I would have felt bad about dumping a kilogram of salt into the environment again. And, besides, there were only four of us in the house and I would most certainly have become a suspect. So I waited. And waited. And waited a little more. I waited until the lawn was ready to be cut again and the mower was in the garage with enough petrol for a cut. And then I waited until he went to work and as soon as his taxi was out of the driveway I began to cut the lawn myself.

You could say that I cut the lawn not very well. For starters, I cut it at an angle diagonal to the house. Mostly. I did a little bit parallel too and a small patch at the back horizontally. I also missed bits. Deliberately. Not the narrow, barely visible little strips that sometimes get missed by fallible humans. But ten centimetre wide suckers that ran the (diagonal) length of the lawn. Lots of them. Halfway through I also decided to change the height from minimum to maximum.

My god you should have seen it. It was art. When I turned the mower off I realized I was being watched by a figure on the balcony. Thankfully, it was my American house mate who also didn’t give a rats about the fucking lawn and didn’t like the noise pollution from the disgusting machine.

He said, ‘Wow!’

And then burst out laughing because he had also, how should I say, noticed the love. We had actually discussed the matter before and were of a similar mind about the noise and the wrongness of it all. We sat outside on the balcony and had a VB each, admiring my handiwork. He especially liked the missed strips. I thought the very obvious diagonal lines were the nicest touch. And I felt I had restored some balance to the universe again.

‘He’s gonna kill you when he gets home’.

But he didn’t. He thought it must have been the landlady’s useless teenage son because there was no way anyone else in our house would have bothered to cut the grass. He was pretty pissed off for a couple of weeks. A few months later the lawn had been restored to it’s previous ‘niceness’. It was then that I saw the stupidest fucking thing that I have ever seen. He got busy with work and study and actually forgot about the lawn for many weeks. It got really long. One day I came home on my bike and went out into the backyard for a minute to let the breeze circulate around me and the sweat evaporate away before I went inside. I discovered someone had cut the lawn. It was actually worse (or better, depending on how you look at it) than my handiwork because half of it had been given a death sentence. The grass had become so long and dense that the bottom two inches or so were white, not green, because no sunlight could reach down there. And someone had cut it down to that level on a damn hot day. Half of it was dying. As I stood under the balcony surveying the damage I couldn’t help but say, ‘Fuuuuuck!’ It was painful just to look at it, let alone imagine yourself being a little piece of juicy white grass being baked to death in the Queensland sun. It was then that I heard crying above me, prompted by me saying fuck. He was sobbing softly on the balcony. I realized at that point he had cut the lawn himself. He had just killed half of the fucking thing without even wanting to. I worked out how: he cut the first few runs without trouble because the grass nearest the house was okay (it got shaded there I guess and didn’t grow so tall); then when he got out a bit further he started to kill bits but not a lot; then halfway out he started to kill whole great strips but by then it was too late because if you have this particular mental ilness you can’t change the height of the cut half way through. Oh no no no no. :no-no: You just gotta keep going, even if you kill half of the fucking grass. Even if it makes you cry afterwards, about how useless you are as a human being, as measured in the quality of your lawn.

That is fucking stupid. :laughing: Obsessing over a basketball player doesn’t even come close.

Taiwan could use a new sports role model…even if Lin is actually American, it could be a good opportunity to promote basketball and sports more here. Like the prez, Lin is also Harvard alum.

Also, he’s 6’3 and both of his parents are 5’6. So there’s always hope to breed an NBA cashcow. :slight_smile:

Taiwanese culture isn’t as watered down as American er culture.

We all drink from the same tap here.

The problem for me is when people still love say, Wang, when he hasn’t done a worthwhile fargin thing in years. :fume:

But then again I saw a guy wearing a NOMO hat the other day. :laughing:

At least it’s the Knicks. Forget that Wang hasn’t done anything in years, the residual yankees logos are still more popular than Burberry. I laugh at anyone still wearing yankees wear. I fecking hate the yankees. I am looking forward to it all being replaced by NYK gear. The Knicks are the schlubs of the league and if JL can get them a playoff berth, that’s impressive.

I would venture that some of the adulation stems from the word Taiwan (instead of that gawd-awful Chinese Taipei moniker) being so prevalent in the US supermedia. Metaphorically-speaking, I can relate. It’s a matter of respect. Taiwan has deserved to be a country for 16 years and is still marginalized by the global community. It’s a classic David and Goliath story, and Taiwan’s got few Daves.

Now, being the sheepish people they are, parents will start to see more and more value in making sports, and hopefully The Arts, as meaningful pursuits and not just a distraction from studying. What this country needs is a paradigm shift to experiential learning as Taiwan’s complete dedication to the antithetical rote methodology is only gonna take it so far…

Yes buy they will still only like sports for success and making money so it will be no different than their ‘love’ for rote learning, eh I mean education.

Seriously Taiwanese kids love basketball so it’s good for them to have somebody to look up to that kind of looks like them.

[quote=“Toe Save”]At least it’s the Knicks. Forget that Wang hasn’t done anything in years, the residual yankees logos are still more popular than Burberry. I laugh at anyone still wearing yankees wear. I fecking hate the yankees. I am looking forward to it all being replaced by NYK gear. The Knicks are the schlubs of the league and if JL can get them a playoff berth, that’s impressive.

I would venture that some of the adulation stems from the word Taiwan (instead of that gawd-awful Chinese Taipei moniker) being so prevalent in the US supermedia. Metaphorically-speaking, I can relate. It’s a matter of respect. Taiwan has deserved to be a country for 16 years and is still marginalized by the global community. It’s a classic David and Goliath story, and Taiwan’s got few Daves.

Now, being the sheepish people they are, parents will start to see more and more value in making sports, and hopefully The Arts, as meaningful pursuits and not just a distraction from studying. What this country needs is a paradigm shift to experiential learning as Taiwan’s complete dedication to the antithetical rote methodology is only gonna take it so far…[/quote]

It won’t change a thing,…the Taiwanese only understand test scores when it comes to education. Even so, some of the Taiwanese are doing pretty good business wise, I think. Of course a lot of this depends on 25k/month salaries and 48 hr work weeks for most – which wouldn’t be possible if people were taught to think – and cheap labor in China, but not all of it…

Preseason starts 17 Feb and Grand Final is in September so its 9 months.

Not only that now we have the new 24 Hour HD Fox Footy Channel. So of course now I get customers asking me can they have access to my Foxtel system. Of course they also want the CB Cricket series and other events. But Oz TV on cricket has too many adverts so I need to use SKY Sports HD channels. Bloody nightmare.

[quote=“Toe Save”]At least it’s the Knicks. Forget that Wang hasn’t done anything in years, the residual yankees logos are still more popular than Burberry. I laugh at anyone still wearing yankees wear. I fecking hate the yankees. I am looking forward to it all being replaced by NYK gear. The Knicks are the schlubs of the league and if JL can get them a playoff berth, that’s impressive.

Now, being the sheepish people they are, parents will start to see more and more value in making sports, and hopefully The Arts, as meaningful pursuits and not just a distraction from studying. What this country needs is a paradigm shift to experiential learning as Taiwan’s complete dedication to the antithetical rote methodology is only gonna take it so far…[/quote]

My Toto has a Wang T-shirt. I will look forward to buying him or Bobby a Lin/Knicks T-shirt, too. :smiley:

[/quote]

Might be time to hire a fact checker or begin operating the google machine. Knicks made the playoffs last year, and were picked by many to be one of the top ten teams in the league this year. This all before our young Christian ABC warrior signed with the team and got Taiwanese mid-sections frothy.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w … index.html

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Toe Save”]At least it’s the Knicks. Forget that Wang hasn’t done anything in years, the residual yankees logos are still more popular than Burberry. I laugh at anyone still wearing yankees wear. I fecking hate the yankees. I am looking forward to it all being replaced by NYK gear. The Knicks are the schlubs of the league and if JL can get them a playoff berth, that’s impressive.
[/quote]

Might be time to hire a fact checker or begin operating the google machine. Knicks made the playoffs last year, and were picked by many to be one of the top ten teams in the league this year. This all before our young Christian ABC warrior signed with the team and got Taiwanese mid-sections frothy.

sportsillustrated.CNN.com/2011/w … index.html[/quote]

Oh. Did not know that. Not a roundball fan. I’ve based my post on how often comedians roast them. I stand corrected.

And now that I know he’s cut from the same cloth as Teebow and V. Belfort, I gleefully await his fall from fame and glory just to see if he blames Jesus for it.

Basically life in Taiwan, for Taiwanese is boring, living on an island and working like there is no other life … shopping, sleeping and watching TV as time killer (hobby) is the only thing that distracts them … any tiny little issue the media clings on to to make life ‘interesting’ and of course to make money … :doh: