Obsession with Taiwanese who becomes famous

As … someone else said … before, it’s not … a particularly … Taiwanese … malady to find … nationalistic or … racial … associations … … … … .

… … … …

As … someone else said … before, it’s not … a particularly … Taiwanese … malady to find … nationalistic or … racial … associations … … … … .

… … … …[/quote]

You are addressing a Belgian. What do they know of nationalistic behaviour. :sunglasses:

The NBA is predominantly the domain of tall black Americans. Anyone who doesn’t fit into that mould is a curiosity in general. Luol Deng the Brit, Muggsy Bogues the dwarf, Yao Ming the mainlander, Larry Bird the honky. All curiosities.

… _ _ _ … JP, just go back to watching your sick rabbit …

You could be talking about my birth country… though you would have to add drinking and partying and going to the beach…oh, and playing soccer/talking about soccer/watching soccer/listening to soccer games, ad nauseum. Call it a malady of our times.

Taiwanese need it. They have too few role models…
I’m happy I saw a lot of kids playing basketball in the sports park today but I guess it was also due to the nice weather.
What I hate is that girls like to wear overly huge glasses these days! Its just ugly.
I take it that originates from Lady Gaga and the alike? (which is actually a nice girl it seems).
Well Fashion and “Role models” seems the same these days…

Lin seems like a good guy, and maybe something positive will come out of the fact he made it to the NBA. It has to be said though the guy is 100% American. I tell my students you CAN be an athlete and still study hard, but there needs to be a little balance. In Taiwan there is very little. While only a handful of Asian guys have played in the NBA I think boys in Taiwn could play in college in the USA (could =free school). I’ve seen good players here, but they don’t get enough practice, especially against good competition. Forget the pros in any sport. Taiwan does not develop many good sportsmen/women and it is a shame IMO. The resources and talent are here. It’s not a dirt poor place.

When someone does make it though people seem to go nuts as does the media. Maybe life is dull?

Rats, I’ve been struggling for an hour to write a news bit about the guy. No inspiration, not even half a paragraph done… :frowning:

You could take some inspiration from this article here: Just Lin, Baby! 10 Lessons Jeremy Lin Can Teach Us Before We Go To Work Monday Morning

forbes.com/sites/ericjackson … y-morning/

PS: It seems even a lot of Americans seem to admire him. So it’s not only Taiwanese people who go crazy about him. That would be a pretty narrow-minded assumption, IMHO.

Can I nominate antarcticbeech’s post for classic post status? That was like something out of a John Birmingham book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Died_With_A_Felafel_In_His_Hand

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Can I nominate antarcticbeech’s post for classic post status? That was like something out of a John Birmingham book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Died_With_A_Felafel_In_His_Hand[/quote]
It’s been nominated twice. Waiting for some higher ups to make it so.

Antarticbeech, what an excellent bit of writing!

TAiwan does not have a whole lot of heros to worship ya know.

Wow, thanks guys. My cup runneth over.

Wow, thanks guys. My cup runneth over.[/quote]
First Classic Post in a long while, and well deserved. :bravo:

Cheers good sir! :bow: A bit of a departure from my usual sniping style.

It is a great post.thank you for sharing…