Obtain Taiwanese passport (NWHR) as a Mongolian citizen

Hello. I’m an ethnic Mongolian who is also a Mongolian citizen born before 2002 which is the year ROC kinda recognized Mongolian sovereignty. So in my opinion i should be eligible for it since i was considered as a citizen of ROC claimed territory when i was born. What do you think about it? and what are my chances?

Zero chance. ROC also claims all of mainland China, doesn’t mean all Chinese can get ROC citizenship. If your parents or grandparents were ROC citizens and you can prove it, you may be eligible. If Mongolians were able to do this, don’t you think just about every Mongolian would? I have never met a single Mongolian here.

I’m under the impression Mongolians are fine with their country. Meaning they’re nomadic and Taiwan is about the worst place to be as a nomad.

Mongolia, even Inner Mongolia (which is part of PRC) is like the least populated place on earth. Basically hundreds of miles of nothing.

But yea ROC recognizes all of China as their territory as well but being able to come to Taiwan is complicated to say the least. Especially with Green party types it’s basically “over my dead body”.

Maybe no one tried before

There are no regulations treating Mongolians specially for immigration.

If your great grandfather or grandfather, (and father if you were born before 1980) had a ROC nationality with any documents issued by ROC authorities to prove it, and never had a PRC citizenship, you may apply for a passport.

If they were registered as a PRC national at some point, or they didn’t have any documents issued by ROC authorities, you cannot.

Iiuc.

2 Likes

Mongolia is, and always has been, an indivisible part of the great ROC empire. Give this man a passport and twenty horses.

:racehorse:

3 Likes

Yes a quick way to boost population decline. Maybe residency with X years of military service then citizenship

someone with ancestors who were people of Mongol Empire is counted to be a Mongolian?

If you can ride a horse bare back and like sleeping in a yurt, :racehorse::circus_tent: you’re a Mongolian.

3 Likes

Let’s keep the focus on the legal issue here, not the politics of Mongolianness or Chineseness or Taiwaneseness. (People are welcome to discuss those things over in Taiwan Politics and International Politics.) Thank you all for your cooperation. :rainbow:

1 Like

There’s actually a Mongolian and Tibetan Affairs department set up for this no? But I think OP needs to be born in Inner Mongolia

I know at least 5 Mongolians who are here as students and working part time on their University’s student permits…They have excellent English skills (which took me by surprise) and is in no way the same as I have perceived of Mongolians due to the way most movies have portrayed them to be (i.e riding horses, living in yurts, drinking Yak’s milk, roaming the deserts as nomads etc as most have pointed out above).
In regards to the OP’s question, I don’t really think there is any chance of you getting the NWOHR passport unless as Tando stated, your immediate family has had some kind of ROC documents and never held PRC citizenship. You will have to go the same route as all of us to obtain Taiwanese citizenship…and btw, welcome to Forumosa! :hugs:

3 Likes

There was.

1 Like