Obtaining a China visa - for Americans

All,

How does an American citizen go about getting a visa for PRC China? Can it be done in Taiwan now and then one can fly directly to China?

If so, could you recommend some visa services firms / travel agencies here in the Taipei area?

Xie xie!

Ask your travel agent about your options. They will usually send your passport off to get your visa put in it (mine got sent to LA once). China keeps changing the rules though, so who knows what the rule is this week. Maybe you’ll have to go to Hong Kong and apply in person.

Check the thread “China Visa Going From Taiwan, Works Like a Charm”.

Historical and updated information.

[quote=“FormosaSmith”]All, How does an American citizen go about getting a visa for PRC China? Can it be done in Taiwan now and then one can fly directly to China? If so, could you recommend some visa services firms / travel agencies here in the Taipei area?

Xie xie![/quote]

You can apply through a travel agent here but your passport needs to be send to the China Visa office in Hong Kong so does take time.

Also you need to pay a hefty visa fee, much more than anyone else as the Chinese charge what the US Government charges visas for Chinese Citizens applying to go to the USA. You may get a single or 2 entry visa.

Welcome to reciprocity.

Hello FormosaSmith,
I too am American and went to China for a job interview last yr…this is what i know about the answer to your question:
First…China does NOT issue landing visas (visa free) to most countries including Americans, you must appy for a visa to get in
Second…unless you have a taiwan ARC…you MUST go to HongKong in person to the chinese consulate(located in downtown Kowloon) to get a visa into China. If you do have an ARC…then any travel agency in Taiwan can do it for you (but will take time & is expensive, since they send it to HK as well)
One thing to note is…China offers many kinds of visas: single,double ,and multiple entry ( each is priced diferently) TIP* try for the best one, since the prices are fairly close…but still overpriced! Also…depending on when you want to pick it up…eg. same day, next day etc…the price also changes.
I got mine the same day…but in order to do that, you must have it in by 9am ands can pick it up by 2pm.
HOpe this helps…good luck! :wink:

PS. btw, you can also get the visa right in the HK airport same day, however, you would need to get it in by 9am so pick up would be at noon (still expensive, though)…

[quote=“Weig”]Hello FormosaSmith,
I too am American and went to China for a job interview last yr…this is what I know about the answer to your question:
First…China does NOT issue landing visas (visa free) to most countries including Americans, you must appy for a visa to get in
Second…unless you have a taiwan ARC…you MUST go to HongKong in person to the Chinese consulate(located in downtown Kowloon) to get a visa into China. If you do have an ARC…then any travel agency in Taiwan can do it for you (but will take time & is expensive, since they send it to HK as well)
One thing to note is…China offers many kinds of visas: single,double ,and multiple entry ( each is priced diferently) TIP* try for the best one, since the prices are fairly close…but still overpriced! Also…depending on when you want to pick it up…eg. same day, next day etc…the price also changes.
I got mine the same day…but in order to do that, you must have it in by 9am ands can pick it up by 2pm.
HOpe this helps…good luck! :wink:

PS. btw, you can also get the visa right in the HK airport same day, however, you would need to get it in by 9am so pick up would be at noon (still expensive, though)…[/quote]

Not sure the information above is accurate.

• I know a travel agent that will send your passport off for a China visa in 4-10 days and no ARC needed.
  • You don’t “MUST” go to Hong Kong to get or in person. You can go many places to get a visa and you don’t have to go in person. Travel agents will do it for you.
  • I think that currently there is no same day visa in Taiwan. They all take at least overnight. (I did the same day visa a few years ago, but China has changed their policy since then).

Um…NO tango42…
the above information IS accurate for Americans…You cannot get a travel agency to apply a China visitor visa from taiwan unless you have an ARC or equivilant for foreigners. (Id like the name of this so called “travel agency” that will do it without…because if they are caught, the risk of a denied visa and no refund penalty sucks) If he has an ARC , APRC, etc…sure, any travel agency in Taiwan will do the running around for you…but im assming from his post he does not…
And of course you can get a China visa in any country,but from his post, i think he is is Taiwan at the moment…so yes, you MUST go to HK to obtain the visa & can have any travel agency THERE do it…sure…and they do have same day, next day, etc…(prices vary) I know this because i DID it! In fact, before i knew all this, i sent my passport & all documents to my friends living in HK (for 30yrs) from Taiwan. Guess what? He sent it all back and said I must be in HK in order to get the China visa…and how do they know you’re not in HK? I assume its the landing visa free stamp you get when entering HK… :doh:
btw…my gf is a travel agent in Taiwan…
Good luck!

Weig,

I don’t think having a gf as a travel agent adds any validity but ok because maybe she can give this other agent a call and see if they need an ARC and then let us know.

This is the website for a Taipei company that specialized in China visa. They offer return in as short as 4-days and ARC not an issue.

sttvisa.com/chinavisa.htm

I have also done it in HK.

[quote=“tango42”]Weig,

I don’t think having a gf as a travel agent adds any validity but ok because maybe she can give this other agent a call and see if they need an ARC and then let us know.

This is the website for a Taipei company that specialized in China visa. They offer return in as short as 4-days and ARC not an issue.

sttvisa.com/chinavisa.htm

I have also done it in HK.[/quote]

Its not about “validity” but sure helps when needing information reguarding traveling, visa, etc while in taiwan…
Formosasmith can do anything he wants…im just trying to help and share what i knew about the topic & my experience. I did check out that website…either they changed the rules in the last 8 months or that agency is doing it illegally…personally, i dont feel comfortable handing my passport over to just anyone… but you could be right & i stand corrected. Id still call the HK china tourist office just to make sure everything is cool,though…you know how the asians are with red tape & rules…changes all the time! Anyways…good luck!