Oct. 1st Coordination Meeting for Six-Year Drivers' Licences

Richard charges NT$2,100 for the paperwork. Find out from him what’s needed beforehand - I sent my paperwork to him the day I went to renew (but had to resend something I forgot later). The appeal has to be filed within 30 days of the licence renewal.

It works on the administrative appeal, but you’ll have to wait for a few months and you will get lots of junk mail from the govt.

Hey, Taichung County is still on this whole trip of giving out 1 year licenses.

What’s the story?

[quote=“Boss Hogg”]Hey, Taichung (Taizhong) County is still on this whole trip of giving out 1 year licenses.

What’s the story?[/quote]

Appeal is the name of the game. That’s the only feasible way to go.

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“Boss Hogg”]Hey, Taichung (Taizhong) (Taizhong) County is still on this whole trip of giving out 1 year licenses.

What’s the story?[/quote]

Appeal is the name of the game. That’s the only feasible way to go.[/quote]

I was so polite to until the woman said “Ni shi Wai guo ren er yi” When I heard the “er yi” the gorilla suit went on. Damn it - why did I let that woman get under my skin with that “You’re only a foreigner”. Her attitude really pissed me off. Appeal, why not! I contacted Hartzell and he gave me the number of the Legislator that he had a meeting with to sort this out, but as far a getting an appeal underway - I have no idea.

Do I have to go to Taipei to do it - with SARS - hmmm ?

Mail it to richard.

So it seems like the situation hasn’t gotten any better. Are there some offices that are better than others? I will be going to the Taichung City office next month after I get my new ARC (should be a 3-year ARC according to a conversation I had with an officer the last time I went to the Taichung City FAP office) where I am told I will be given a three year license. Are there any offices where I would stand a better chance of being given a six-year license?

In Taichung, I don’t think so. Last time I went they were looking into the whole situation and seeing if there had been any changes to the regulations. The simple fact is that most of them will read their manual where it states that it is impossible to give a six year license. Then they will tell you that NO FOREIGNER in Taiwan has a 6 year license unless their ARC is for 6 years. I then showed them copies of 6 licenses that prove that they were wrong and copies of the Admin. Appeal decisions, their eyes bugged out when they saw a foreigner could get his hands on this kind of information (thanks Richard) and started making phone calls to Taipei. The end result of our conversation was that their hands were tied (yeah right :unamused:) and the only way to get a 6 year license was to appeal and when the 6 year license expired I’d have to appeal again.

Let us know how you get on. The Taichung County office will really hate you if you go there, I told them I’d send others just like me along to give them some grief. :smiling_imp:

Again it is interesting to note that the process known in the UK as Judicial Review of Administrative Action is not used in Taiwan to enforce correct application of the law by government bodies. What then is its purpose in Taiwan ? Obviously it is not considered a waste of judicial time for hundreds of foreigners to make administrative appeals in order to be granted something they should have been granted in the first place.

It is encumbent on every resident foreigner here to get a driving licence and fill up Taiwanese court time with administrative appeals - perhaps then something will be done. Damn ! I forgot to take my reality pill this morning…

Right.

Despite the promises of the MOTC in October 2002, nothing has changed to date. Hence, the administrative appeal is the only way to go.

I still have 5 years left on my license. Hope they get their act together before then. Thanks again richard.