October 9, 2006. DAY OFF, Government announced?

I heard that the gov announced Oct. 9 a day off. Anyone else heard the same? This is valid for at least Kaohsiung. Not sure about Tapei.

WHERE did you hear this from ? They’ve never done it before, I don’t see why they would start now.

I have not heard anything official yet from the government, but…

My school confirmed that we will have no school on the 9th. 5 day weekend!!! :bravo:

Mmm. I’ll pencil it in my diary as a possible “Get completely wankered on Sunday night”.

Taiwan government in common-sense shocker?

Sounds a bit fishy to me… Stranger things have happened though… like a horse becoming pope…

Someone translate this, it is from the government:
cpa.gov.tw/cpa2004/pfattend/EXWT7349P.html

roommate funk says we have the day off…but have to work on October 14th…

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]WHERE did you hear this from ? They’ve never done it before, I don’t see why they would start now.[/quote]A friend texted my wife. My school called, too. No school on the 9th. Hehe…

I have the day off. In fact, my weekend starts on the 4th and ends on the 11th. Haha.

It says you can have 10/9 off but have to work on 10/14 instead. Only for government offices. Other buisinesses its up to the boss.

Ps. Few schools will be closing. 1/2 the students will not be there but someone has to babysit the other 1/2

[quote=“Taipei Times”]STAFF WRITER WITH CNA
Saturday, Sep 30, 2006,Page 3

The Executive Yuan yesterday announced that all government agencies will have a day off on Monday, Oct. 9 to allow for more convenient planning for the coming Mid-Autumn Festival, according to a Central News Agency report yesterday. Given that Friday is a national holiday for the Mid-Autumn festival and the following Tuesday Double Ten National Day, the announcement means that government officials will enjoy a five-day weekend. The decision was made yesterday after a meeting held by the Executive Yuan’s Human Resources department.[/quote]

It is said by some (reliable) sources that they apologise for the short notice and slight confusion they caused. Some think it is a way to head of a strike on that day.
I think we will still be working, and by we I mean me.

yep, some eedjit or other was planning a protest/strike for that day, so the govt. scrambled and called it a day off anyway, nothing to do with throwing a bone to the hardworking citizens, just childish tit-for-tat politics :raspberry: … Evidently the “govt” has now decided there must be a “make up day” scheduled for some upcoming Saturday that people are supposed to work to make up for the 9th… This had now got hundreds up in arms since now everyone has to work on their wedding day etc. etc. etc… Amazing that not even something as simple as a public holiday that everyone knew about years in advance, can be orchestrated without low brow soap opera antics… piss up in a brewery and all that… :noway:

ummm says who, you?

standard practice in such a situation here. last minute long weekends aren’t unusual either

the “govt” could announce that Sunday will henceforth be a holiday and hundreds would be up in arms lol.

yes that is amazing [shakes head] lol

ummm says who, you?

[/quote]

nope… says whatever lamentable excuse for a TV news station I was watching last night… but it does make sense, at least in so much as you can apply that concept to Taiwan, I mean they knew the 9th was a big hairy fly in the long weekend ointment since, well, since anyone in govt capable of operating a calendar cared enough to check, but did they say “oh well, lets call it a long weekend, our people work hard, let’s toss them a bone”, did they 'eck… then suddenly some politico type starts making motions towards riling up the masses for a “strike/stayaway” in defiance of the “govt” (public dissent being very trendy these days etc. etc.) and hey presto it’s a “govt” sanctioned day off… :idunno:

ummm says who, you?

[/quote]

nope… says whatever lamentable excuse for a TV news station I was watching last night… but it does make sense, at least in so much as you can apply that concept to Taiwan, I mean they knew the 9th was a big hairy fly in the long weekend ointment since, well, since anyone in govt capable of operating a calendar cared enough to check, but did they say “oh well, lets call it a long weekend, our people work hard, let’s toss them a bone”, did they 'eck… then suddenly some politico type starts making motions towards riling up the masses for a “strike/stayaway” in defiance of the “govt” (public dissent being very trendy these days etc. etc.) and hey presto it’s a “govt” sanctioned day off… :idunno:[/quote]

You know, I’m not saying that the ‘conspiracy theory’ isn’t possible - it definitely is, but I’m seen them delay and delay before when they had just as ready access to a calendar as in this instance. The result? The same.

They could always take the day off, like I was planning to do with the 9th…

yes, these long weekends are never scheduled in advance but always tacked on as the date approaches.

as far as a conspiracy theory, considering that the “govt” presumably can’t continuously declare holidays on any day the protest/strike/whatever is rescheduled for, i am going to have to lean towards a childish assumption of conspiracy rather than a childish attempt at it.

moe announced today all schools closed 10/9, senior high and under all have classes 10/14.

epaper.edu.tw/news/951002/951002c.htm

At Shida we get the 9th off, but have to come to class on Saturday. not good for people who already have to work at a job then.

What to do on a 5 day weekend?

OK so what about outside of the Teaching arena?

The Stock market is closed on Monday (no biggy) but open on Saturday which means anyone anywhere in the world who is involved in trading Taiwan stock suddenly has to work Saturday, or Friday night if you are in the US! Imagine the global impact of this? Perceptions of Taiwan etc.

Our business remains open but many others will be closed. All of my team actually work for a local bank so will be off, but I will be at work…bizarre. Presumably they will all then be working on Saturday 14th? I suspect I will be asked to supervise!

HK has the China Trade fair on the 11th-14th which a lot of Taiwanese entrepreneurs would have been headed for including my SO…who now has to work. The economic impact to us is small but for many this could be a big blow.

The whole thing is incredibly STUPID in my opinion. Poorly thought through and potentially damaging to the economy and the world view of Taiwan. On the plus side I plan to work from the HK office on Monday and get myself a nice 5 day break. :laughing: