October 9, 2006. DAY OFF, Government announced?

yep… regardless of the “strike conspiracy” which is neither here nor there really, I stand by my original point that it’s laughable that as far as the Taiwan “govt” is concerned, nothing at all, no matter how mundane and trivial can be properly officiated without a petty pantomime of amateur dramatics, incompetence and inept bungling… Naruwan, welcome to the Banana Republic of Taiwan… :doh:

what’s laughable is that people give the “govt” shit about ordinary everyday decisions, then blame them for amateur dramatics.

It sounded like only government officials and civil servants go the day off. Do businesses too? Not like it matters as most businesses don’t give a **** about labor laws or what the gov’t says. Just wanted to know if I was being screwed by my company once again. The holiday is being deducted from our anual holidays. Ah well, if others have to make it up on a freakin’ saturday.

Our company is open as usual.

Finally found out yesterday that ours is too.

Luckily I had already booked a holiday for 9th Oct anyway.

I will be “working from the HK office”…yeah right!

My company had made the decision to close on the 9th last December. Considering our custom of doing last minute, half-assed ‘planning’ I’d say it’s a freakin’ miracle.
Why do we close on this day? Because the production process takes half a day to start up, so it gets stopped as infrequently as possible. We worked on 9/30 to make up for it. Sometimes, not very often granted, the interests of both staff and management happen to coincide and the boss gets to pretend he’s a human being after all.

If you have a car you can try to head down south and spend the best part of the long weekend sat in a traffic jam, that’s what many locals will do :laughing:

Where are all the people NOT going to be (north island)? That’s where I want to go. Mountain retreats? I’m off to check out the travel section of this fine website.

I was told by my company on wed that the Government said I had to work the following sat to make it up.
I said, “what!? the Government called you and said I had to work!?”
My manager said, “well no but Taiwanese have to work to make up the lost day.”
I smiled and said; “well then good thing I am not Taiwanese, you can just deduct that from my new years bonus, oh wait a min you don’t give me a bonus because I am not Taiwanese. Oh well then, no harm no foul”

She hates me but… My work is immaculate.

I stopped trying to be nicey nicey with the office mind fuck games years ago. If you are going to lie to me at least come prepared, you know? Otherwise I just can’t help myself I have to fuck with you. I have that disease what is it called?
Oh yea assholelia.