October Holidays

What’s up for the October holidays? I’m looking for a 2 or 3 day Taiwan getaway. Any suggestions? BTW the holidays are Oct. 6 and 10.

I went to Kinmen last year over the 10/10 weekend. Well worth it.

This year, I’ve taken an extra couple of days off and am heading to Cambodia. Woohoo.

I’m taking two WEEKS off. Wooooohooooo. :bouncy: Flying to Seattle, taking the ferry across to the island where my bro lives, checking out the house he built in the middle of forest with not another house in sight, meeting the boy he adopted from Nepal, then renting a car for a three or four day, leisurely drive through some of the most spectacular scenery in the US, from Seattle to the Bay Area, where I’ll hook up with my parents for a while and let them play with our little girl. Incidentally, October is just about the best time to visit the Pacific Northwest weather-wise; it should be beautiful. But that’s just my trip. I hope you have a good one too.

I’m taking two WEEKS off. Wooooohooooo. :bouncy: Flying to Seattle, taking the ferry across to the island where my bro lives, checking out the house he built in the middle of forest with not another house in sight, meeting the boy he adopted from Nepal, then renting a car for a three or four day, leisurely drive through some of the most spectacular scenery in the US, from Seattle to the Bay Area, where I’ll hook up with my parents for a while and let them play with our little girl. Incidentally, October is just about the best time to visit the Pacific Northwest weather-wise; it should be beautiful. But that’s just my trip. I hope you have a good one too.[/quote]

You basssstarrdd. I love that area. Have a great time. I’m sure your little girl will love all the freshness. And don’t forget to build a big piles of leaves and let her jump in.

Too bad berry season is over. I took some young Taiwanese student to Vancouver in summer and we went out to pick wild berries. They couldn’t believe they could just pick them off the bush and pop them in their mouths without washing.

Berry season and cherry season. When I lived in Eugene, Oregon, for 3 years, my GF and I went a few times to various all you can eat/pick berry farms, including strawberries and blueberries, but the best was the cherry orchards, where they give you a big bucket and you go out back where the trees are surrounded by ladders, you climb up and they’re covered with the most giant, sweet, juicy, perfect, burgandy-colored cherries, and as you pick them into your bucket you can stuff your face with handfuls. Then for a week afterwards it’s giant bowls of perfect cherries with breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mmmmm.

I’ve told my wife of that, so she had me check U-Pick places online (there are lots of them in Oregon and Washington), but unfortunately – as you noted – the berry/cherry season has ended. One can still pick apples or pears, but that’s not the same. As for wild blackberries, they’re good too (though they don’t compare to cherries), and I’ll have to look for them when out hiking in the hills.

Cherries with every meal? You must have had pretty loose stools for those couple weeks.

How about huckleberries? My favorite berry. Where my folks live there is a giant bog area (the largest remaining bog in North America) and it’s filled with huckleberries, blackberries, salmonberries, blueberries, and salal berries. Since they fruit at different times there’s always something to eat all summer long. I do miss that.