This is a long story, so I’m going to shorten it as much as possible.
I have been teaching at one of the big cram school chains for about 6 months. I took a few days off work at the beginning of November, which I had asked for a month in advance (and was approved). While I was away, my boss decided to transfer me to one of the other schools he co-owned. Frankly, this was fine with me, as I was not particularly fond of the man. He told me about this the night before I was supposed to go back to work. Typical. However, he did not seem to communicate this effectively with the hiring manager at the other school, who hired someone the morning I was supposed to go there. So, I was pretty much scheduled out of a job. Which, honestly, is just fine with me, becuase I really didn’t like the job much, and had been planning on breaking my contract in February to go work for the school my boyfriend works at.
My ex-boss said that he wouldn’t cancel my ARC until I found a new job. Since he broke the contract, he has seemed like he will be pretty good about transferring it, and not making me suffer. Part of my contract there was that I got a scooter as long as I worked there, and he has let me keep that for the time being, too. This all transpired around November 15th, so it has been almost 3 weeks. He called around to all the other branches of the chain school and told them that I was a great teacher and available, and I went to a couple of the schools, but their offers were horrible (one was for $480 per hour!!!). And since I’m planning on quitting in February anyway, I don’t want to sign another contract - especially when they have 1 month penalties for leaving.
The new school that I will be working for has offered to get me a working permit and ARC early, but they only have approval for their two current teachers, so they have to get approved to have a third foreign teacher. I don’t know how long this takes, and neither do they. I’m guestimating that it will take about 2 months, becuase everything in Taiwan takes two months! And it may take another 2 months to get my work permit and ARC transferred (or get new ones). I am not real comfortable with my ex-boss having control of my ARC, as I suspect he might be the type to just cancel it without telling me.
So, I need to know what my options are! Since I am now unemployed (I worked one day in November) I don’t have money dripping from my fingers. Visa runs are expensive, and I want to avoid them if I can! Are there ANY other options? Does anyone know about transferring ARCs? Will I have to leave the country anyway?
Does anyone have any similar experiences with this?
And, if I do have to do a visa run, can I go to Bangkok instead of Hong Kong and still get a 60 day visa? I’m from the US, and I would love to get my hands on a multiple entry visa again, if I have to go that route.