Odd Proposal, "Joining" Family's Business

A few months ago, when I was working out my visa run and next employment gig, my girlfriend was concerned that I would be leaving forever. Upon telling her (I suppose moderately well-off) father about this (We’ve never met.), he offered to have me pay for my own visa as an “employee” under him, and he would assist in any secondary paperwork. Of course, when I examined the details, it didn’t seem very feasible because he would have to prove that he was paying me something, and that plan basically involved laundering money – him giving me a check and my cashing that check and handing him cash (or vice versa). Then I would be filing taxes on an imaginary income.

Anyway, it sounded suspiciously like fraud, but I was curious to know if others had heard or accepted such proposals before.

To preempt responders, the trust issue doesn’t arise here. The father offered this solely to make his daughter happy, and he doesn’t stand to gain anything from it.

Um…let’s just say, it’s been done before. Worked out fine, hypothetically speaking. It’s not unknown among people who have, er, other sources of income and simply need an official visa-friendly sponsor to justify physically being in Taiwan.

The only consideration is, of course, that if the goodwill of the offeror disappears, for whatever reason, one’s visa status could become complicated or even impossible. If it disappeared because of some disagreement between you and the girlfriend, it could get nasty fast. Only potentially, but the degree of that risk depends on the relationships – both yours with her, and hers with him. Another thing to check into is what type of business he owns, and whether he can meet the requirements for having a white-collar foreign employee.

Anyway, it’s not laundering money – it’s you paying him rent. Which happens to be in the same amount as your salary. But don’t forget the health insurance and so on.

[quote=“ironlady”]Um…let’s just say, it’s been done before. Worked out fine, hypothetically speaking. It’s not unknown among people who have, er, other sources of income and simply need an official visa-friendly sponsor to justify physically being in Taiwan.

The only consideration is, of course, that if the goodwill of the offeror disappears, for whatever reason, one’s visa status could become complicated or even impossible. If it disappeared because of some disagreement between you and the girlfriend, it could get nasty fast. Only potentially, but the degree of that risk depends on the relationships – both yours with her, and hers with him. Another thing to check into is what type of business he owns, and whether he can meet the requirements for having a white-collar foreign employee.

Anyway, it’s not laundering money – it’s you paying him rent. Which happens to be in the same amount as your salary. But don’t forget the health insurance and so on.[/quote]

Its still immigration fraud and forgery. For that you can be deported. Better off he marries his GF that he loves then he can legally work wherever.

Does your GF have a cute sister?

[quote=“Aboriginal girl”][quote=“ironlady”]Um…let’s just say, it’s been done before. Worked out fine, hypothetically speaking. It’s not unknown among people who have, er, other sources of income and simply need an official visa-friendly sponsor to justify physically being in Taiwan.

Anyway, it’s not laundering money – it’s you paying him rent. Which happens to be in the same amount as your salary. But don’t forget the health insurance and so on.[/quote]

Its still immigration fraud and forgery. For that you can be deported. Better off he marries his GF that he loves then he can legally work wherever.[/quote]

If both parties to the transaction are satisfied with the value received, how is that not a business transaction? Who’s to say what the OP might be doing for the person providing the visa? Better to do what everyone else in Taiwan habitually does – interpret the law a bit loosely – than rush into a marriage. There’s far more at stake if he marries, and that decision should not be based on needing a visa quickly.

Agree. As Ironlady said, it’s been done before and will no doubt be done many times in the future. It’s not illegal if the OP is actually performing some sort of work for the gf’s father; perhaps he can offer private English tuition, or has some other skill. He (the father) will, in fact, have to prove that the OP has skills that can’t be drawn from the local employment pool, otherwise no ARC. I don’t see anything morally wrong with it either. I’m a big fan of immigration as long as the person immigrating has something to offer his host country. Taiwan gets another desperately-needed working-age person paying taxes and spending NT$, so what’s the problem exactly?

OTOH, it seems the father believes marriage is likely in the near future. The fact that you’re banging his daughter makes this a near certainty, in fact. Be circumspect, and be honest with yourself about your intentions.

I actually took Aboriginal Girl’s route at the time, figuring that if I really need to stay in Taiwan for the relationship, I’ll marry her so that we can both arrange our immigration issues (getting my JFRV, getting her Green Card). I was able to land a job before I made the visa run, so the overriding concern fizzled with it.

Marriage is in the near future, but not because he’s aware that I’m banging his daughter. The father isn’t very present in his daughter’s life, as he makes his income on the Mainland, returning occasionally to see his wife and (sorry, Louisfriend) only daughter.