Office relocation, no compensation

The company where I’m currently working is downsizing and relocating its office to a new place to save cost in the next few days. I am one of those few who is saved from being canned, however the new location is located far away from current office. At the moment I live just 10 minutes bicycling from current office in Taipei City, and love the place where I live. I despise the idea of commuting 1.5-2 hours (3-4 hours back and forth) to the new office, yet the company doesn’t offer anything to overcome this drag. Though I love the job, this situation is giving me headache, moving my apartment is not an option, since I have a kid who is going to enroll to kindergarten, and the new office is located at New Taipei City, and I start to hate it after few visits.

I would like to know whether this is legal for them to relocate the office without employee’s consent, or any compensation. If I am asking them to terminate my contract, is it considered as quitting, or I am still eligible to get severance payment?

thank you in advance.

FYI : this law might be applied.

Article 10-1 of Labor Standards Act
http://law.moj.gov.tw/MOBILE/lawEng.aspx?pcode=n0030001

When transferring an employee, an employer shall not violate the provisions of labor contract and shall also satisfy the following principles:

1. The employee shall be transferred based on the needs of business operation and without improper motives or purposes. Matters not provided for herein shall be governed by other applicable statutes.
  2. The wages and other working conditions shall not be changed to be unfavorable to the employee concerned.
  3. The employee shall still be able to satisfactorily perform the duties required in terms of physical ability and skills after the transfer.
  4. The employer shall provide necessary assistance if the relocated workplace where is too far away for the employee concerned
  5. The livelihood interests of the employee and his or her family shall be considered.
3 Likes

Thank you very much for pointing to that article, I’ve been looking for it. I think the law is on my side, I will talk with my employer soon. We expect to move this Friday, and yet not a single clue about my compensation :roll_eyes:.