Official COVID rules for schools (APRIL 2022 UPDATE)

Hey I’m was wondering where to find the official rules for schools (private, public, and cram) with regards to COVID. I ask because heavy emphasis is being put on masks and temperature taking 3x/day (yes, even once right before they head home), which is fine, but other stuff seems silly and I don’t believe them when they say “the government said so”. Examples include the children eating in close proximity “but there’s plastic barriers up so it’s fine” and also zero distancing in the classroom throughout the day. Also disinfecting EVERYTHING with bleach at the end of EVERY day.

Anyone know where I can find the official regulations so I can confirm how much of it is BS and how much of it really is required? Thanks!

1 Like

This sounds exactly like my daughter’s school. They even have to brush their teeth at their desk. One cup for water, one cup to spit into.

Sounds like a lot of bullshit. But it is official bullshit. The government is making us wear masks outside so of course there will be a lot of nonsense rules at school.

1 Like

I’m not surprised. The school I’m teaching at has actually banned teeth-brushing this year because of COVID. I guess they are allowed to use floss picks though?? They will need a lot of instruction on how to throw those in the trash!! But you’re saying they’re brushing at their desks at your daughter’s school, so that would seem to me that each school is making things up as they go and that the government isn’t giving clear direction to anyone

I tried looking on the Taiwan laws website but it looks like there aren’t a lot of laws on the books about COVID management (I can only find the laws about rumor spreading and mask hoarding, etc. was passed in 2019 and much before)

I called the CECC (CDC?? 1922) to ask about school lunch. I guess the Chinese version of their site is much more comprehensive than the English version. My brain doesn’t want to sift thought that much Chinese but if anyone wants to know, it’s there.

Anyway: For lunch in schools, it doesn’t matter how far apart children are as long as there are plastic dividers. If no dividers, “ideally” 1.5 meters distance.

Sounds like the Taiwanese government is ignoring the science (“plastic barriers are pointless and may even do more harm than good”) and the schools that insist “the government told them to” are actually full of crap. I didn’t actually ask about anything but lunch though. I felt like plastic barriers when there are 25 kids eating in a 10x10 meter space wasn’t doing much, but the CDC says “okedoke!” so I’m just gunna leave it there and cross my fingers my vaccine works!

1 Like

Plastic barriers are wonderful for their magical powers at schools. They may not repel COVID but do repel all sorts of critical thinking and logic. Highly effective for Taiwan’s education system.

In the defense of barriers, it’s really hard for children to talk to each other when there’s three walls of plastic surrounding each of them…

I am curious if I’m going to walk into a (university) conversation class in a couple of weeks and discover this kind of set up.

1 Like

Probably. Sounds like the official guidance is 1.5 meters between students or plastic barriers. Do students over the age of 18 get an exception? Sounds like they did get other exceptions than K-12, so I wouldn’t rule out the possibility…

1 Like

Reviving this thread to post new developments from the MOE concerning K-12:

Guy

4 Likes

And concerning university level teaching, from the story linked above:

For universities, colleges and junior colleges, an institution will only need to fully suspend in-person teaching if one-third of its classes have a teacher or a student who either tests positive for COVID-19 or has been ordered to undergo a 10-day quarantine after being listed as a close contact of an infected individual.

The revisions come after Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) asked the MOE to address complaints from parents regarding class disruption due to a continuing rise in domestically transmitted COVID-19 infections.

This is a major change, as before this new policy two (2) cases across a university would lead to the entire institution pushed into online instruction.

Guy

3 Likes

Some pushback, in certain counties, against the MOE’s revised guidelines for suspending classes announced earlier this week:

CORONAVIRUS/MOE open to revising guidelines on suspending in-person classes

04/13/2022 09:53 PM

Summary

Taipei, April 13 (CNA) The Ministry of Education (MOE) said Wednesday it would consider revising standards updated on Tuesday for suspending in-person school classes as a result of COVID-19 exposures, following criticism from some local governments that they were insufficiently strict.

The comments come just one day after Education Minister Pan Wen-chung (潘文忠) unveiled new guidelines under which a full suspension would only be ordered if over one-third or more than 10 classes were made remote.

Until Tuesday, central government guidelines had required that all in-person classes at schools of senior high school level or below be suspended for at least 10 days if two or more classes had to go remote following the exposure of staff or students to COVID-19.

While some localities, including Taipei, New Taipei, and Kaohsiung, expressed a willingness to comply with the standards unveiled Tuesday, others, such as Taoyuan and Taichung, adopted a wait-and-see approach, saying they would base their decision on local conditions and feedback from parents and educators.

In Yunlin, County Magistrate Chang Li-shan (張麗善) said her government would retain separate standards for elementary schools, as children under the age of 12 in Taiwan were not yet eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccines, putting them at a higher risk.

Elementary schools in Yunlin County will continue imposing 1-3 day suspensions at a class level if one student or teacher is exposed to COVID-19, and, at a school level, if two or more people are exposed, she said.

As of Wednesday, Nantou and Kinmen counties have also said they would maintain their original guidelines for suspending in-person elementary school classes, while Tainan Mayor Huang Wei-che (黃偉哲) said the standards for kids in that age group should be “stricter.”

The opposition Kuomintang (KMT) also came out against the new guidelines, accusing the government of adopting a one-size-fits-all policy on an issue that would be better left for local governments to decide.

The government can’t just “look at everything from [the perspective of] Taipei”, KMT Chairman Eric Chu (朱立倫) said at a party meeting, noting that the policy’s focus on classes did not fit the reality of many smaller schools, which might have mixed classes or a single large class.

Meanwhile, KMT caucus whip Tseng Ming-chung (曾銘宗) argued that there should be a separate policy for children under the age of 12, as they have not yet been able to get vaccinated.

Following the criticism, Pan attempted Wednesday to justify the changes, saying the government also had to give consideration to students’ right to an education and the difficulties that class suspensions create for parents.

But he also vowed to continue collecting feedback and conduct rolling reviews of the policy.

In the meantime, the MOE will set up a response team to work with local authorities to resolve any issues they encounter when implementing the new guidelines, Pan said.

As of Tuesday, there were 237 schools in 18 counties and cities partially or fully holding classes online, including 38 pre-schools, 92 elementary schools, 30 junior high schools, 37 senior high schools, and 40 tertiary education institutions, according to MOE data.

(By Wang Yang-yu, Chen Chih-chung and Matthew Mazzetta)

Enditem/ASG

And no one corrects her.

At a higher risk?

This is going to be fun watching different places enforce different rules.

Kids at home while Grandpa carries on as normal. Luckily I am in NTPC.

1 Like

Level of stupidity is astounding. It is Yunlin though.

I dunno.
Bring back the dinosaurs.

We must protect the kids from a harmless virus meanwhile feed them shit food at school and allow amma to take them on the scooter with no helmet

3 Likes

Wife said that she has seen this on a lot of talk shows recently.

People saying the under 12s are most at risk.

We must protect the young and old. With everyone nodding along.

1 Like

Unbelievable. Except it’s not unbelievable.

Good. KMT gonna lose that seat too lol. People may fall for it now but in a few months it will be obvious how dumb a decision that is.

1 Like