Official PS3 Taiwan Launch Thread - November 17th!

Just found out tonight that Taiwan and Hong Kong get the PS3 this year - before Europe and Australia/NZ!

So does anyone else want to buy one on launch day?

Should I preorder one or just turn up on the 17th and hope for the best?

Do Taiwanese gamers camp out the night before for big console launches?

News release pasted below…

[quote]Just days after news emerged that Sony has cut its shipment target for the Japanese launch of PS3, it’s been announced that the console will hit Hong Kong and Taiwan on November 17.

According to an article on Digitimes.com, the announcement was made by Tetsuhiko Yasuda, managing director for Sony Computer Entertainment Asia.

He said the 60GB model will be priced at TW$17,980 (EUR 425) in Taiwan, while the 20GB version, which won’t go on sale until December, will cost TW$14,980 (EUR 355).

Although Yasuda did not offer any shipment projections for Hong Kong and Taiwan, he did say that SCE intends to sell 1 million PS3 units in the territories.[/quote]

i won’t be buying mine for a while… i’ve been informed it could take anywhere up to a year to get chips ready for it, and i’m not interested in it until then due to my vast amount of ‘import’ games…

not only that, but it also gives a chance for more games to be available, unknown bugs to be worked out, and for the price to drop a little…

I thought one of the benefits of the PS3 is that it is not region encoded? Those games wouldn’t be copies would they?

of course not… they’re all shop bought…

would you like to see the box that GT4 came in? and the book that is totally useless for me because it’s all in chinese?

:laughing: When I went to Taiwan last time, I was expecting to find huge arcades full of brand new sparkling warez and ‘backups’ - but didnt find a single one…

Did spot some dodgey pirate Nintendo Gameboy 200 in 1 cartridges, but no xbox or ps2 stuff…

The local game prices are fantastic in Taiwan anyhow - so it wasnt too bad…

Ive heard from my friends in Taichung say that absolutely every launch PS3 has been preordered and even accessories are selling for hundreds more than retail price… Sounds crazy…

Of course I want to see this all for myself :slight_smile:

Plane leaves in about 10 hours… And guess who cant sleep? :frowning:

You?

What’s my prize?

as i said before pubba… contact me when you get to taichung, and we can organise to meet up and i’ll take you shopping :slight_smile: … not easy to organise such a thing with the baby and all that stuff… but we’ll see what we can do

ETTV just showed huge crowds lining up for the launch in Japan.
The funny thing was, the shop assistants were shouting in Chinese to people to stay in line, so many people apparently traveled to Japan to get their hands on the PS3. So yes, bubba, expect more scenes like that in Taiwan.

ETTV just showed huge crowds lining up for the launch in Japan.
The funny thing was, the shop assistants were shouting in Chinese to people to stay in line, so many people apparently traveled to Japan to get their hands on the PS3. So yes, bubba, expect more scenes like that in Taiwan.

I’m relatively new to all this. So, what’s the deal in buying a video game box over here?

I’m all hyped over getting Nintendo’s Wii which comes out in the states on Nov 19. If I were to get that one, can I use it over here? Or if I got the Japanese one, could I use that one over here, also?

All of this chip, encoding, and other tech language stuff makes it a bit confusing. :help:

depends what restrictions nintendo are placing on the system… i haven’t been following it closely, so i’m not sure if there’s any region encoding… if there is, then you WILL be able to use it, but you will need to import all of your games… if not, then it should be fine…

regional encoding is just like on DVDs… where you can’t buy a japanese dvd and play it in your taiwanese player, unless your player is capable (some are, some aren’t)… it was a system meant to stop people from going overseas to buy movies etc. cheaper, and protect the local market. this went for playstation games too. sony tried to ban people from creating the chips that allowed the playing of pirated games, but they lost as the chips were also able to let people play imported games - and since some games are only available in certain countries, they were considered as reasonable…

with the new PS3, sony has moved to blu-ray (next step after DVD) and has no encoding, meaning that there will be no excuses for chips… but of course, chips will still be developed… i’m just not sure if my import ps2 games will be playable on the new ps3…

Just saw a local news story about next week’s launch.

Apparently, you first have to go to the Sony Ximending store (don’t know the address) next Thursday Nov 16 at 5 pm to get a number … and then you go and actually pick up your machine the next day.
There are only 150 machines available, the report says.
Don’t really understand that; if the PS3 goes on sale, doesn’t that mean that they have stocked enough for everybody to sell continuously after next Friday?
I don’t know, those wanting to be early buyers should head for the Sony Ximending store and figure things out there.

[quote=“enzo+”]Just saw a local news story about next week’s launch.

Apparently, you first have to go to the Sony Ximending store (don’t know the address) next Thursday Nov 16 at 5 pm to get a number … and then you go and actually pick up your machine the next day.
There are only 150 machines available, the report says.
Don’t really understand that; if the PS3 goes on sale, doesn’t that mean that they have stocked enough for everybody to sell continuously after next Friday?
I don’t know, those wanting to be early buyers should head for the Sony Ximending store and figure things out there.[/quote]

The Sony Ximending store is right next to California’s. Exit 2(?) of the MRT and go straight down thru the plaza. It’s across from KFC.

Thanks x08 for the info. I guess I could find out about encoding and stuff from the website?

[quote]i’m just not sure if my import ps2 games will be playable on the new ps3.[/quote]They won’t. It will obviously contain region encoding for DVDs. aren’t PS2 regions the same as DVD regions ?

PS3 has no region encoding for games (except for PS2 games), Blu-Ray movies still has region codes, but only 3 regions, Taiwan will be in the same region as USA and Japan.

XBox 360 has region encoding on several games, Taiwan is in different region than USA. HD-DVD movies have no region encoding, but I’m not surprised if they come up with one.

Wii has region encoding on some games. Wii does have region encoding, but Nintendo says they don’t intend to use it, that may change, and third party publishers may choose to use it. EDIT: Nintendo has now changed their minds and deny saying this. It will be region encoded on most titles.

That’s the best I can come up with for now, it being new technology and all that. So in a nutshell for games compatibility PS3 is first, then XBox, then Wii. Hard to say if the Wii will be worse than the XBox or not. But the PS3 is miles ahead of the other two… at the moment.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote]i’m just not sure if my import ps2 games will be playable on the new ps3.[/quote]They won’t.

PS3 has no region encoding for games (except for PS2 games), Blu-Ray movies still has region codes, but only 3 regions, Taiwan will be in the same region as USA and Japan.

XBox 360 has region encoding on several games, Taiwan is in different region than USA. HD-DVD movies have no region encoding, but I’m not surprised if they come up with one.

Wii has region encoding on some games. Wii does have region encoding, but Nintendo says they don’t intend to use it, that may change, and third party publishers may choose to use it.

That’s the best I can come up with for now, it being new technology and all that. So in a nutshell for games compatibility PS3 is first, then Wii, and XBox last.[/quote]

Okay, I’m slow on the uptake here. So, I can order a Wii from the US and buy games here?

[quote=“Namahottie”]Okay, I’m slow on the uptake here. So, I can order a Wii from the US and buy games here?[/quote]After doing a bit of searching, Nintendo now says No, they deny what I said in the above post, Wii games will be region encoded, you cannot use a USA Wii with Taiwan games, unless they’re in the same region, and who knows how their regions are arranged ?
joystiq.com/2006/09/15/wii-n … gion-free/

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“Namahottie”]Okay, I’m slow on the uptake here. So, I can order a Wii from the US and buy games here?[/quote]After doing a bit of searching, Nintendo now says No, they deny what I said in the above post, Wii games will be region encoded, you cannot use a USA Wii with Taiwan games, unless they’re in the same region, and who knows how their regions are arranged ?
joystiq.com/2006/09/15/wii-n … gion-free/[/quote]

I’m gonna read it. But that sucks. So, I would have to get a chip put in it to play all games?

Edit- That really blows. The whole purpose behind the name is suppose to imply “WE” :noway: The website doesn’t even have anything on it about Taiwan. Sh#$t!! I’m really hype about getting this one.

PS3 demo at 101 mall 4th floor (where the coffee shops are), open to public this Sunday 12.11.2006!

Hi everyone - just got to Taiwan this afternoon. My head is reeling… culture shock already? woah…

The Wii is indeed region coded :frowning: This despite promises to the contrary during its development… There is no chip designed yet, but sure enough one will be made eventually.

Namahottie - How long do you plan to stay here? Might be worth buying a local one and getting the (cheaper than US) local games for it. Then if you move back home, sell it to me really cheap! What a great idea :wink:

That sucks about the PS3 launch. Japan is doing a similar thing. No matter how long those dorks line up outside the shops, they all get given a lotttery number and they pull the numbers out at random. Its going to be total CHAOS

So - Taiwan gets only 150 Ps3s? Woah… Thats incredibly stupid marketting - or is it? Create a shortage and watch the hype go through the roof. I wouldnt put it past SONY…

Ps3 preorders in the states are selling for up to $2,500 USD. Craziness…

Japan is a huge market for SONY and they have only allocated 80 thousand PS3s for the launch. America fares slightly better with 400 thousand units - no where NEAR enough to meet demand…

Off topic : Has anyone seen the trailers etc for Gears of War on Xbox 360? Wow… just … wow… I wont be too upset if i cant score a ps3 this year, but Im dying to find out when Gears of War comes out here. I saw brochures and posters at a department store tonight, but everyone was clueless when i tried to ask about it…

Its out in America now and people are saying its incredible!

Xo8 - thanks for your offer dude :slight_smile: Cant wait to get to Taichung (Wednesday) and it will be great to catch up some time :slight_smile:

Rascal - what time will you be at the Sony demo party thing tomorrow? Perhaps there might be a chance of lining up a preorder there? Ill be there after lunch - Anyone going? pm me for my mobile number :smiley:

Namahottie - the Wii looks like heaps of fun :slight_smile: Ill get one if I cant track down a Ps3 this year…

Which line is the Sony store on? It turns out Im not living in Banqiao after all. I have no idea where I am - but the place is a cluttered, ugly, crowded, polluted mess… so… that could just about be anywhere in Taipei right :wink:

Ill ask the people im staying with what suburb this in when they wake up in the morning. I had about 3 hours sleep yesterday and Im too wired to sleep now as well :smiley: