Oh my God its the biggest cockroach I've ever seen Please come kill it!

:hand: It’s honest advice from personal experience. I never screamed so loud or got a shoe off so fast. :slight_smile:

[quote=“ironlady”]Lili,

I feel your terror. I still remember, at age 19, living on a single room on a rooftop in the middle of the city somewhere, all alone, not speaking much Chinese, and having a sudden rainstorm sweep over. Within seconds, all the roaches on the whole rooftop thought it would be nice to come into my room. I can still see myself standing on the bed hoping none of them would climb up there. (That was before I knew they could fly, mind you.) :astonished:
[/quote]

:astonished: I would’ve bought my plane ticket back to NY right then. Would’ve skipped the hysterical screams on Forumosa, and googled up some Kayak instead.

[quote]
Anyway, my recommendations are these:

1. Get yourself a mosquito net. That way, you can be reasonably sure you will not have any “encounters” while you’re not completely awake. At least that way, the battle is more fair.

2. Get a cat. Our Taiwanese cat knew the special note of desperation that would come into my voice when the situation involved one of those big suckers, and would come running to kill it (and presumably eat it, but I tried not to delve into that part too much). To this day (and he’s going on 17 now, living in retirement in the US) he will come running to see what I need killed if I call for him in that way.[/quote]

To all those recommending the cat, I can’t have a cat due to allergies.

I love geckos though, where do I get some? (Besides hunting them on the mountain paths)

you don’t get out much, eh, baberenglish? :smiley:
However that is so damn funny I’m going to try that if I ever get the chance.

Good call. The thing with roaches is that they don’t bloody die, unless you hit them REALLY hard, I mean enough to flatten them. And even then they have the last laugh. They EXPLODE. I am not kidding. It’s like some bad CGI effect from a bug-horror movie. Bits and snot fly everywhere. There is no body, just goop and legs.

My preferred method is to use one of those little fishing-net thingies to catch them and then throw them off the balcony. Doesn’t always work, but I’m getting quite good at it.

When I lived in Yong He, I had roaches even though I was meticulous about crumbs and refuse. So instead of killing them, I would trap them under a glass jar. My theory was that his pals would see his predicament and deem my place too risky.

One stayed alive for three weeks under glass. :astonished:

Did you know that if you chop it’s head of, a roach can live for another 3 to 4 weeks and it dies of hunger not from bleeding.
Here is the best way to get rid of them.
Every night, put a tot of whiskey next to the sink in the kitchen. In the morning it will be gone because the roaches drink it. Do that for a week.
Then increase it to two tots a night for a week.
In the third week increase it to three tots a night.
In the fourth week, put no whiskey and remove all alcohol from your house. After 21 days, the drinking habit would have taken its toll and they will move to the local pub.

Im surprised no one has given one of the more useful pieces of advice.

Plug up all drain holes and other types of holes in your entire apartment. For the shower we have a strain type thing over the drain hole.

That way your neighbor can keep his cockroach party next door, but they won’t be able to crawl through into your apartment.

But you’ve forgotten about the ones that swim in through the… oh, wait, that’ll scare her even more.

Pound for pound bugs have 5 times more protein than beef and are full of vitamins and minerals

All my bodybuilding homeys eat roaches and grasshoppers and other insects. Don’t need steroids.

Put them to good use instead of just killing them. They are a natural fod source just like Lobsters

A few weeks ago a cockroach woke me up when it was crawling up my neck. Fortunately this thing was still small… Later I put some poison (not the ‘bomb’ type, I dont want to poison myself) behind my desk and under the bed and had my peace ever since!

The next day, I went to eat breakfast downstairs and just as the breakfast store laoban was taking my order, a HUGE cockroach appeared on his face (I’m not sure whether it crawled up there or flew). When he shook his head this thing almost fell into my breakfast :noway:. Apparently that day the gutters were poisoned and hundreds of disgusting insects emerged from there.

But still better than Miaoli with the huge cockroaches AND huge spiders. (I wonder how many roaches there would be without spiders and those many geckos) :astonished:

What i really hate? Are the big roaches that fly and…invariably fly right into YOUR HAIR.

Pound for pound bugs have 5 times more protein than beef and are full of vitamins and minerals

All my bodybuilding homeys eat roaches and grasshoppers and other insects. Don’t need steroids.

Put them to good use instead of just killing them. They are a natural fod source just like Lobsters[/quote]
Ahhh so all those ripples you have is just your crawled up skin! And pray tell, do they kill theroaches before munching on them? And do they breed them?? coz eating one from the dust bin is just not healthy. EWWWWWW my stomach is officially rippling.

You guys should try slapping one that’s close to giving birth.

Oh the white goooooooo :sunglasses: :thumbsup: :lick: :lick:

Ahhh so all those ripples you have is just your crawled up skin! And pray tell, do they kill theroaches before munching on them? And do they breed them?? because eating one from the dust bin is just not healthy. EWWWWWW my stomach is officially rippling.[/quote]

I believe you come from India yes? There are many animals that people will eat in one country that are considered a delicacy but would not be considered the same in other countries. Human have survived by killing and eating just about every living animal on the planet they could find, including other humans.

They have also made use of the varied vegetation as well, like mushrooms and hemp, poppies and all sorts of other plants which can have medicinal uses as well.
Have you eaten lobster? ( the cockroach of the sea ) which is very similar in many aspects to a cockroach.

Frogs legs, bats, snake, fried alligator, monkey brains, cicada, fried grasshoppers ( in any good beer house in Taiwan ) BAALUT (Philippines) How about that great delicacy of the Philippines - You take a fertilized duck or chicken egg, bury it in the ground for a few weeks and then enjoy. Also known as “the treat with feet” or “the egg with legs”.
CRIADILLAS (Spain) prairie oysters; the testicles of bull.

Of course one of the words foods is POUTINE. Don’t forget that tasty morsel SPAM. Of course for those binge drinkers TEQUILA WORMS

TEA WITH YAK BUTTER for you Divea?

Meaning: not harmful to Lili - those pesticides are not at all good for poeple (especially women)…

We have those in our house in Ishigaki, as well. Ants, as well. No cockroaches, although there are plenty of those outside…

That’s Tibet. :unamused:

I know that people eat worms even. But kitchen roaches?? Like really??? I’m okay with grasshoppers but cockroaches??? Shudder Shudder.

That’s Tibet. :unamused: I know that people eat worms even. But kitchen roaches?? Like really??? I’m okay with grasshoppers but cockroaches??? Shudder Shudder.[/quote]

Tea with Yak Butter also in Northen India as well. :wink: I have been there and drunk it. It’s always interesting to try new things. Unless of course you are squeamish.

No - roaches that feed on clean veggies and live in a clean natuiral environment, not those that feed on human garbage and live in sewers etc.

I’m assumming the people that eat roaches cook them? Not that I’m anxious to try.

That’s Tibet. :unamused: I know that people eat worms even. But kitchen roaches?? Like really??? I’m okay with grasshoppers but cockroaches??? Shudder Shudder.[/quote]

Tea with Yak Butter also in Northen India as well. :wink: I have been there and drunk it. It’s always interesting to try new things. Unless of course you are squeamish.[/quote]
I livein North India. Where is Yak butter available??? Oh ok if you mean Ladakh :unamused:

Well, I’ve always posed that if you can eat prawns or shrimp, you can eat insects - there is little difference. It’s just social conditioning that dictates wheat is acceptable to eat.

If people don’t want to squish roaches, you can use a lighter and a can of hairspray or deodorant. You have to be skilled in this method, but what you end up with is instant death and a dry, neat package of cockroach which can be swept up.

*Incineration activities carried out by children must be done under adult supervision only. Ignore the flammable sign on side of can at own peril. Don’t burn the skirting board. We do not take any responsibility for singed hair, smouldering sofas or tower block infernos during use of this method of pest control. All cats are flammable and must be placed safely in a flame retardant box and in a separate room separated by a fire door. Fire may spread to other buildings if cockroach remains alive and runs around whilst still alight.