Okinawa police scramble to stop people from sleeping on road; over 7,000 cases in 2019

Does Taiwan have stats for this kind of behaviour as well?

Police say some people sleep using the curb as a pillow, apparently because they are cool and comfortable, and there are cases in which women take off their clothes in the mistaken belief that they’ve arrived home.

I’m assuming those stats would be roadkill stats.

Park benches are much comfier
Just don’t accidentally choose the gay park to pass out in
(and then when you realise its the gay park definitely don’t keep going back just cos the benches are comfy and close to home)

Oh apparently that’s a problem here too

I pity the drivers involved in such accidents. Most probably they ended up in jail.

When I first moved to Taitung, air conditioning was not that widespread- too expensive- and on hot summer nights hundreds, even thousands, would take their blankets and gather in huge crowds in Sea-Side Park to sleep in the cool night air.
Saw the same thing in the movie Brighton Beach Memoirs set in Brooklyn in 1937.

1 Like

Used to be a big thing throughout pre-AC America. Manhattan residents slept on fire escapes (abundant examples in American cinema, e.g., Rear Window) or rooftops (e.g., The More The Merrier, set in DC). Same in most big US cities not at significant elevation.

Throughout the US there are old homes, built near the beginning of the 20th century, that still have 2nd story, screened in sleeping porches on the side of the house that catches a breeze on summer nights. The closer to sea level the house, the greater the likelihood it had/has a sleeping porch.

1 Like

Oops, Busted!

Actually, most of these are in Ishigaki, tiny island closest to Taiwan. Maybe that explains it?